What's new

Emerald Park News/Discussion

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Direct link to the plans: http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/AA191588/0

Stats of the coasters:
STC:
Length: 728m
Max speed: 80kph (~50mph)
Height: 31m
Duration: 99secs

Boomerang:
Length: 244m
Max speed: 58kph (~36mph)
Height: 21.8m
Duration: 70sec

The STC is a fair bit shorter and seems to have less inversions than the original plan, but still looks decent. Hopefully enough has been done to convince the council to approve it!

rollercoaster2

Mega Poster
Direct link to the plans: http://www.eplanning.ie/MeathCC/AppFileRefDetails/AA191588/0

Stats of the coasters:
STC:
Length: 728m
Max speed: 80kph (~50mph)
Height: 31m
Duration: 99secs

Boomerang:
Length: 244m
Max speed: 58kph (~36mph)
Height: 21.8m
Duration: 70sec

The STC is a fair bit shorter and seems to have less inversions than the original plan, but still looks decent. Hopefully enough has been done to convince the council to approve it!

I think it's the same length. Previous permission was a combined ride length of 972m?

This application:

728m + 244m = 972m

It's exactly same length actually. Just re-orientated.

rollercoaster2

Mega Poster
More on this

If you can't read it basically

1. Decision in January. If no appeals the coasters will open in 2021. If appealed this is a "long shot" (likely 2022)
2. Mr Coyle has personally visited the residents who complained to assure them
3. 3 tunnels have been incorporated to limit noise as well as well as a Jurassic Park style wall. :p New silencing mechanisms are built in to the tracks.
4. Coasters are same length as before but re-orientated so screaming is more in the direction of the park
5. Construction time for everything is 12 months

Interestingly one of the tunnels in a trench is at the end of the first drop on the STC so looks like they may have sneaked some extra height in the drop.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
4. Coasters are same length as before but re-orientated so screaming is more in the direction of the park
Out of interest, how might a park be able to redirect the screaming of guests through a ride layout alone (and not tunnels, walls or scenery)? I'd make the assumption that guests can and will scream during any and all parts of a ride's layout.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Out of interest, how might a park be able to redirect the screaming of guests through a ride layout alone (and not tunnels, walls or scenery)? I'd make the assumption that guests can and will scream during any and all parts of a ride's layout.

Presumably it's by a sort of 'science' of saying guests will scream the loudest at the scariest parts of the ride, which are the main drop and inversions. If the direction of travel for the trains during these moments is pointing towards the park, then one can convince people that the screams will carry in that direction too.

Oh course, this science is very wishy washy since there's many other factors (wind direction and speed, people's scream timings aren't predictable, etc). But explained convincingly enough, people will believe them.

rollercoaster2

Mega Poster
The owner has said if the park receives permission for the new coasters they will immediately seek permission for a new hotel. It will be smaller than previously planned with 175 rooms (maybe can be added to over time?) but will still be a wooden hotel.

Mr Coyle revealed that if Tayto Park secures permission for its planned new €15.5 million ‘Coaster 2021’ project, it will immediately apply to build a 175-bedroom hotel at the site.

Tayto Park, which employs 440 staff in peak season, previously withdrew plans for a 275-bedroom hotel after the National Roads Authority expressed concerns about the development. Mr Coyle said that the new plan would be smaller and would be a wooden hotel.

JoshC.

Strata Poster

Official objections have been lodged with the council about the new coasters which could cause enough delays meaning the rides don't open in 2021

rollercoaster2

Mega Poster
They state they live 700 meters away.........from the entrance to the park! Probably at least a kilometer from the coasters.

Load of nonsense and I expect this to be approved but probably won't open until 2022 now.

If they are looking for a payout (wouldn't be too much of a stretch to imagine) i'd rather the park delayed the coaster because it's blackmail.

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Oh dear here we go again...

Tayto Park’s planned €15.5 million “Coaster 2021” roller coaster has suffered a setback with Meath County Council putting its planning application on hold.

The council wrote to Raymond Coyle’s Ashbourne Visitor Centre Ltd requesting that it respond to concerns raised by objectors to the new plan.

The council has also asked Mr Coyle to address flooding-related issues and to submit a revised overall site plan.

The move by the council to seek further information on the application is in contrast to its approach to Mr Coyle’s previous roller coaster plan – the council gave the go-ahead to the project last year without seeking further information.

However, last July, An Bord Pleanála overturned the council decision and refused planning after concluding that the operation of the ride would be too noisy for nearby residents.

Mr Coyle said on Wednesday that consultants for Ashbourne Visitor Centre Ltd will be issuing the company’s response “in the next two to three weeks”.

Four of the residents who objected to the previous plan have also lodged objections against the new plan.

Local resident Jeremy Butcher told the council that the new plan is not materially different to the previous application.

However, Fine Gael councillor Alan Tobin has lodged a submission supporting the plan.

He said that Tayto Park’s future “depends upon its expansion and it must be able to develop over the coming years to maintain its outstanding success”.

Mr Coyle claims that the screams by passengers on the planned new roller coaster will not impact on nearby residents as the project comes with a series of specific measures aimed at eliminating any noise.

“There will be screams, but they will be drowned out,” Mr Coyle said.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I wish "locals" would just piss off sometimes.

I don't understand protesting something that will bring fun for familys. It's hardly the biggest project. Why do moan about EVERYTHING. Urgh.

The main complaint seems to be that the screams of people having fun will be too loud. Oh jog on.

emoo

Hyper Poster
What is liked by one person or group, wont be by another. Screams in your backyard is no good for most people. Valid points should be investigated and addressed.

However.

How come the flooding issue is now a concern?

Also, is this a flat out complaint not looking at the detail and mitigation? The plans appear to have been changed taking into account the raised concerns but the response is they are not materially different. So do they understand the differences? Were they not expecting roller coasters to be in the new plans under any circumstances? Were they expecting a hot dog stand or tree to suffice as a substitute?

They state they live 700 meters away.........from the entrance to the park! Probably at least a kilometre from the coasters.

If they are stretching the truth I have doubt the concerns are more than grumpy and soured against others fun.

The park is still able to counter point, they just need to prepare for the deaf ears of some who may already have made up their NIMBY minds.

Residents wont want to feel like they have been walked all over by 'the man' so you can always expect at least one to stick to their guns, even if it means blindly following it through to the end and losing logic along the way. See the entire rest of the world at the moment as an example.

I am holding off a visit until something new gets added to maximise my coins.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
What is liked by one person or group, wont be by another. Screams in your backyard is no good for most people. Valid points should be investigated and addressed.
See, this is where it gets....iffy
Based off this post...
They state they live 700 meters away.........from the entrance to the park! Probably at least a kilometer from the coasters.
How far are the people who don't want it. MY house is roughly 450 meters from Universal Studios Florida and while I moved there knowing full well there was a massive theme park complex across the street..... I've never once heard *any* of the rides from my place, even with windows open.... I barely even hear their fireworks since they use ones with low record with the neighborhoods in mind, even though 90% were built after USF came to town.

Last edited:

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
New neighbors?
15c83c900a8b0b3c4e7ee2920ab96413.jpg

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk