What's new

Surfer (Teaser pics)

RCF

Strata Poster
A Maurer Sohne X-Car similar to Hollywood Rip, Ride, Rockit', Surfer is sure to make you feel as if you're riding a wave (not really but for the sake of the ride :p)

Teaser pics

Lift hill (I studied H: RRR's lift very closely to make this)
surfer101126224837000.png

Vertical lift
surfer101126224938004.png

Looking down the first drop
surfer101126224950005.png

Non-inverting loop
surfer101126224850001.png

Nice little bank
surfer101126224905002.png

I will be (attempting) to terraform whenever possible, but it's likely the finished version and video will be available until about Sunday/Monday at the least.

Comments and criticism appreciated.

Xpress

Strata Poster
The track that is. Not bad looking, although those supports are just... No... ;)

Try a simple A-frame style :)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^For what?

Also, another tip, don't build your supports before you've terraformed, it'll ruin them as you are actually moving the footers.

RCF

Strata Poster
Xpress said:
The track that is. Not bad looking, although those supports are just... No... ;)

Try a simple A-frame style :)

Depends on what supports you are talking about.

Xpress

Strata Poster
A tip I always suggest is to first finish your track layout before you begin supporting, because you may decide that a certain section of track is not what you want it, and you may want to tweak it, and if you've already supported it then you will have to re-do the supports.

Xpress

Strata Poster
A non-inverting loop is basically a slightly flattened teardrop shape to allow for the untwisting at the top, with the top being the slightly flattened part:

http://rcdb.com/3866.htm?p=24218

I'd say he's perfectly fine, aside from the supports, which he is still working on. I'd be interested in seeing how this all plays together. :)

Also, who says loops can't have an odd shape? ;)

http://rcdb.com/3244.htm?p=14912

RCF

Strata Poster
Xpress said:
A tip I always suggest is to first finish your track layout before you begin supporting, because you may decide that a certain section of track is not what you want it, and you may want to tweak it, and if you've already supported it then you will have to re-do the supports.

I did finish the track layout before I did the supports......

I only put up teaser pics because I don't have time to put up the video and download right now. And I actually changed the non inverting loop (as it was originally an actual loop) at the last minute so it could be similar to Maurer Sohne creations.

Gazza

Giga Poster
RCF said:
I only put up teaser pics because I don't have time to put up the video and download right now..
When you do get around to doing a video, can you put the POV at the start rather than the end?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Right, it was OK, but I'm going to try and give you a few pointers and they're in no particular order, just whichever comes to mind first.

-Use more segments! You want to try and use more segment s over the entire ride. Not only does this give you more control over the shaping, but it will also life easier when you come to smooth it (either by hand or with the in-built smoothing tool, Ctrl+G). Generally, and this is not a strict rule to follow, each case is different, but I would suggest around 5-10 segments for a medium sized 180* curve. By using more segments you can also make the lead-ins better, thus reducing the feeling of pumping. For example on this ride the overband and corners at the end did not have enough segments, which just made them feel very... awkward.

-Heartline! I don't know it you have the heartline turned on in your editor (Display>Show Heartline) in each view, but it is a very useful tool for creating flowing tracks. On your non-inverting-loop for example if you look at the heartline it is extremely wiggly, meaning that the riders would be thrown around a lot. You want to try and get the heartline as smooth as possible, which is also made easier by using more segments (see above).

-Don't force elements or banking. The only way I can describe this is to look at your final two corners that were both banked at 90* (or nearly). They just don't feel right, think about how the track looks and feels, banking 90* corners on dips doesn't work as the rider would get quite a few laterals. That one you can only learn by experimentation.

I think I've covered everything major. Your supports just need practice and generally you've got the right idea, you just need to get all the little techniques sorted to make great coasters.

Hopefully that's not too harsh and hopefully you'll find some of it useful! Oh, and by the way, I'd give this ride a 4.5/10