What's new

Supervisory role

Josiah Gabe

Roller Poster
Hey guys. I’m an a level student and it is a part of my course work to answer the following questions with evidence from legitimate sources. So I was wondering , does Merlin as a company prefer to Recruit people for supervisory roles internally or externally ? Thanks a lot .

A lot of companies tend to advertise jobs internally for a week or two first before making the advert public.

This is definately true of Merlin as they would put job adverts up in staff areas for about 2 weeks before the vacancy went on the website. The jobs weren't limited to that particular park either, they would post up vacancies from all over the world.

jj23w

Hyper Poster
Going to be honest. Companies specifically merlin do it through cliques if you look closely you’ll see it’s all done by friends and most of them don’t have the passion for the company. Some have been in the company for years and do have passion some don’t.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
It also depends on the role.

For example, roles in Rides and Attractions (such as Team Leader and Assistant Manager) require you to know how to operate the rides, as well as manage a team. Whilst I think in most cases they will advertise the role both internally and externally, the job would almost always go to someone internally as a promotion, for the simple reason that that person has more experience with the rides themselves, and so creates a smoother transition. That's not to say it's always the case, but it's certainly a massive plus.

Other roles tend to seek out knowledge of the particular park you're applying for, but the level they're thinking of is easily picked up if you've visited a few times. Some roles would prefer theme park experience (even working in retail at a theme park is different to working in retail on the high street), but that's not particularly essential.

Tl;dr - some supervisory roles within operations are preferred for internal candidates as promotions, but this doesn't stop external candidates being considered (and being hired if they're the right fit for the role).

Josiah Gabe

Roller Poster
A lot of companies tend to advertise jobs internally for a week or two first before making the advert public.

This is definately true of Merlin as they would put job adverts up in staff areas for about 2 weeks before the vacancy went on the website. The jobs weren't limited to that particular park either, they would post up vacancies from all over the world.
I replied to my own comment a bit further down my apologies. That message is to you thanks a lot mate.

Than
It also depends on the role.

For example, roles in Rides and Attractions (such as Team Leader and Assistant Manager) require you to know how to operate the rides, as well as manage a team. Whilst I think in most cases they will advertise the role both internally and externally, the job would almost always go to someone internally as a promotion, for the simple reason that that person has more experience with the rides themselves, and so creates a smoother transition. That's not to say it's always the case, but it's certainly a massive plus.

Other roles tend to seek out knowledge of the particular park you're applying for, but the level they're thinking of is easily picked up if you've visited a few times. Some roles would prefer theme park experience (even working in retail at a theme park is different to working in retail on the high street), but that's not particularly essential.

Tl;dr - some supervisory roles within operations are preferred for internal candidates as promotions, but this doesn't stop external candidates being considered (and being hired if they're the right fit for the role).
Thanks a lot really help-full.

Going to be honest. Companies specifically merlin do it through cliques if you look closely you’ll see it’s all done by friends and most of them don’t have the passion for the company. Some have been in the company for years and do have passion some don’t.
Thankyou will include this as a risk to their operation.