What's new

Sun Tzu Culture Park | Catapult Roller Coaster | Launched S&S

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
2 years ago at this article on coastersandmore mentioned S&S had sold a 4th launched coaster to China due to open in Guangrao in 2014. The first three are all open but the 4th one has been elusive until now.

A little sleuthing shows that this ride will be going to Sun Tzu Culture Park. The park has existed as a garden park with a small selection of rides for a while but the park closed its doors in January this year for a major refurbishment. The official site's park map lists two roller coasters under construction as Mine Coaster and Ejection Coaster as well as mentioning the Ejection ride is being built by a foreign company.

While we have no news on a layout but it shouldn't be too long before we see some construction.

SSShandong.jpg

Official site is here http://www.china-suntzu.com/ and has info on all the rides if you can read Chinese.

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Sorry to bring up an old thread but does anyone have any news on this? Would love to see more of these huge S&S launched coasters especially outside of China.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Not a whole lot going on at the moment news wise. I suspect the ride is on site but no ones taken pictures yet.

This image was taken months ago and shows construction progress. The small kids park are at the top is already complete and open.
Capture.jpg

The latest satellite image shows these curious items in the park. Could be track and supports or could just be something trivial but its tough to tell.

Tzu1.jpg

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
S&S Air Launch with Inversions? - Sun Tzu Cultural Park

I'm sure this park has cropped up elsewhere, probably in a "general China" type topic, but it seems that a few more details are popping up.

I know I read that the park were getting a new S&S air launch, and assumed it would basically be a Bullet Coaster clone, which would have been excellent anyway as they're great coasters. However, according to RCDB, it will also feature 3 inversions, which hasn't been done before.

Name: Catapult Coaster
Length: 3,051.2 ft
Height: 196.8 ft
Inversions: 3
Speed: 83.9 mph

http://rcdb.com/12256.htm

The other stats - height and speed anyway - are the same as the current models. Could be interesting!

Chris Brown

Mr CoasterForce 2016
Re: S&S Air Launch with Inversions? - Sun Tzu Cultural Park

Sounds pretty incredible, I think the 3 of these so far look pretty insane so fingers crossed this one will top them. Has anyone ridden them? Intrigued to know how they ride, they look so intense!

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

I've ridden Bullet Coaster in Shenzhen - so has Nic - plus its mirror clone in Wuhan. Ben and Jake did the one in Beijing which is slightly different.

They're brilliant.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster

I've done the Beijing one but have been spited three times by the one in Shenzhen </3.

I enjoyed the Beijing one. It's no comparison to the Intamin launches though. Less forceful but perhaps more enjoyable for that. And the sound of the launch is incredible. The rest of the layout was a bit meh IMO. I don't remember much airtime for example. The Shenzhen layout looks much more exciting though. **** you Happy Valley

The idea of one with inversions is very interesting to say the least. I find Intamin launches with inversions to be too forceful sometimes (I Speed, Baco, Kanonen I'm looking at you) but a more graceful S&S launch into an inversion...I'd be very excited to try that.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

The ride is actually already manufactured but due to a delay on the park side it's sat in storage at the moment. I'll post pictures of the park when I get home tomorrow.

As for the rides. I've ridden all 3 of them and they are all bloody brilliant. I'd place shenzhens as top as the wuhan one had a rattle in the helix the other didn't. And Beijing's is also amazing but I don't like the layout as much.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator

gavin said:
I'm sure this park has cropped up elsewhere, probably in a "general China" type topic, but it seems that a few more details are popping up.
Actually in "Rollercoaster Construction" :wink:

Merged Gavin's topic with existing one.

Ben

CF Legend

Mysterious Sue said:
I've done the Beijing one but have been spited three times by the one in Shenzhen </3.

I enjoyed the Beijing one. It's no comparison to the Intamin launches though. Less forceful but perhaps more enjoyable for that. And the sound of the launch is incredible. The rest of the layout was a bit meh IMO. I don't remember much airtime for example. The Shenzhen layout looks much more exciting though. **** you Happy Valley

The idea of one with inversions is very interesting to say the least. I find Intamin launches with inversions to be too forceful sometimes (I Speed, Baco, Kanonen I'm looking at you) but a more graceful S&S launch into an inversion...I'd be very excited to try that.

Less forceful than the Intamins?!?

You are so burdenous! These things are ridiculous! Loved the one in Beijing, the World needs more! I'd say outside of China but I like them being excluse <3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, totally not getting the less forceful thing at all. They basically reach the same speed as Stealth but in half the time.

Mysterious Sue

Strata Poster
Each to their own I guess. Perhaps because I wasn't getting killed by Intamin restraints all the time it felt tamer...

Anyway, ignoring the inversions for a moment, a wave turn at high speed sounds lush. Lets hope there's some more movement on this soon.

mouse

Giga Poster
Isn't a raven turn the half loop thing on 4th dimension coasters? How would that work on this...

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
GuyWithAStick said:
Maybe a translation error? I'm sure they mean dive loop...
Is it though? Maybe that's just what S&S call entrance>half-loop or half-loop>exit inversions...

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Maybe. But I wouldn't think a roller coaster company would change the name of an inversion.

Then again, there's the whole Norwegian Loop(Intamin)/Pretzel Loop(Mack) thing.

Lofty

CF Legend
In recent years, coaster companies have been creating the name of inversions. Both Maverick and The Smiler created names of inversions.