What's new

Strangest construction projects you’ve ever followed?

Matt N

CF Legend
Hi guys. Being an enthusiast gets you following many construction projects, and while many are fairly conservative in nature, there are naturally some that when they end, you find yourself thinking “wow… that was one odd project to follow” or something along those lines. So my question to you today is; what are some of the strangest construction projects you’ve ever followed in your years as an enthusiast?

I’ll get the ball rolling by talking about some of my personal candidates:
  • Tempesto at Busch Gardens Williamsburg: This one was a very strange one, from what I remember. For starters, the initial leak of this happening full stop came about in a very bizarre manner (from memory, I think it was actually leaked in full through BGWFans, before any construction had occurred and even before any indication of a project had been talked about by the park), and many were absolutely enraged by the addition. But the stranger part is that Busch were remarkably cagey surrounding this addition for the majority of the time it was being built, flat out denying that they were even building a roller coaster for a large part of the construction process (I seem to remember them promoting it as a “landscaping project” whenever they were asked about it), even when track was clearly visible and rising, and to top it all off, the ride was very quietly announced a mere month before opening, at the very start of the 2015 season. I don’t know about you guys, but from my end, it almost seemed like Busch was ashamed of it as opposed to proud and excited to be building it…
  • FLY/Rookburgh at Phantasialand: I can sense this might possibly go down as one of the most infamous construction projects in modern theme park history. I know that Phantasialand have always been notoriously secretive surrounding new projects, and their projects often take longer to complete than those at other parks, but this almost felt like it was on a whole new level compared to their previous ones (well, Taron/Klugheim, from my perspective). The construction process seemed to go on for ages, and I remember that on CoasterForce at least, discussion centred almost primarily around “that wall” for the best part of 2-3 years, with a detour to whether Phantasialand even had a schedule for construction every now and then. It all culminated in the area’s rather abrupt opening (I don’t think there was any advance notice whatsoever…) in September 2020, and by that point, I’d certainly ruled FLY/Rookburgh to be one of the more interesting construction projects I’d ever followed.
  • Zadra at Energylandia: This one sticks out to me because I seem to remember everything happening very suddenly; Zadra may well be the quickest progression from “field” to “finished” I’ve ever seen in a large coaster project, let alone a monstrous 200ft hybrid coaster! I seem to remember that one day, they went vertical, and they were literally finished and getting ready to open a few weeks later (A few weeks might be an exaggeration, but I certainly remember it being an incredibly short period of time!)! And that was even with some of the supports blowing over during construction…
  • Red Force/Ferrari Land at PortAventura World: I remember this one being strange because similarly to FLY, it seemed to take ages (even though I know it wasn’t as long), and it also sticks out to me because I remember most of the construction process was spent deriding the project, particularly Red Force, as being completely and utterly rubbish to an extent I’ve seen with few rides before and since; does anyone remember when those photos of the brake run track on Red Force made it look incredibly warped and wobbly, making everyone think it was going to be horrifically rough?
  • Intamin 10-looper at Flamingo Land: I know this one isn’t technically over yet, but it’s already made itself a solid candidate for one of the strangest construction projects I’ve followed, in my opinion. I remember the initial saga of whether it was even coming, as well as the saga of tracking its journey from Malaysia, as being rather interesting to follow, and in a similar fashion to Tempesto above (although perhaps not quite to the same extent), the park seems to have barely acknowledged its existence, in spite of it being a pretty noteworthy ride for both the park and the wider UK scene (their largest coaster, a ride that will probably become their flagship ride whenever it opens, and the tallest UK coaster built full stop since 2012. If we exclude Merlin parks, it’s the tallest UK coaster outside of Merlin since Speed in 2006); the only times I ever remember the park acknowledging its existence are in a tweet subtly referencing it through a thinly veiled dig at Thorpe Park and in a recent interview citing it as their “new coaster that [they’re] hoping to open in 2022” that didn’t really go into too much more detail. To top it all off, COVID and the associated strife it has caused Flamingo Land seems to have made this coaster vanish off the face of the earth, with barely any updates or acknowledgement from the park; to tell you the honest truth, I often forget it’s even a thing, which is rather interesting given that it’s the most substantial UK thrill coaster to be built in some time…
But what are some of the strangest construction projects you’ve ever followed?

Last edited:

ThatsNotAGiga

Roller Poster
Top Thrill Dragster was a strange construction to follow. It was the internet in 2002 so Microsoft paint was all the rage, people speculating on the potential height. I was in disbelief that a 400+ foot coaster was even possible considering 300ft coasters just happened now 400+? It didn’t seem real, I didn’t think my mind would be blown again but came along RMC… what’s next?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
In immediate recent memory FLY was epic - the endless wall updates early on, and towards the end the horrendous tedium of having to keep explaining that there was indeed a schedule even if it wasn't published publicly. Then finally them just casually opening the ride one weekend. Memorable, for sure.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
In immediate recent memory FLY was epic - the endless wall updates early on, and towards the end the horrendous tedium of having to keep explaining that there was indeed a schedule even if it wasn't published publicly. Then finally them just casually opening the ride one weekend. Memorable, for sure.
Oh gawd, that schedule debate…

It was really strange for me, as I visited so many times in consecutive years and there was always that being constructed… It almost got to the point where I could visit and just forget it was being built, right behind that wall… Such a strange project.

Worth the wait though! Was pleased to be able to go out during the soft opening and finally get to see it. Even if the coaster wasn’t performing anywhere good as it is now.

I’m going to throw Abyssus in the modern ones too… We stood and watched it testing in 2020 and didn’t get to ride it until over a year later in 2021!!! A shock to the system after the speed of Zadra… Sadly that one, although it is growing on me, didn’t match up to the hype.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
RingRacer was a fun one.

"Guys! They're building the world's fastest coaster! It's going to be epic when it opens!"
"Okay, it launches into brakes, so not that epic. Still, can't wait to ride it!"
"Apparently it's having some teething problems ..."
* chirping crickets *
* four years go by*
* ride opens *
* ride closes *
*chirping crickets *

Sandman

Giga Poster
Icon's construction was strange in that BPB finally got a bloody coaster.

I remember around 2015(ish), the first sightings of the 'Project 2017' wheel cover on a jeep in the car park. No photos showed up at first, so the Project 2017 jeep was merely a rumour for a bit.

Then came the jeep photos. Followed by the removal of the Tom Sawyer bridge.
Initial thoughts from forum members were a Premier Skyrocket or an S&S Free Spin.

After some time, we got a few ominous leaks and ta-da! It's a Mack double launch.
Construction was eagerly anticipated; how are they going to build around all those tightly knit rides?!

Even now when I sit back and reflect, it's bloody weird that BPB has a Mack multi launch.
Although nowhere near Helix levels of fun, it's something I have to appreciate being relatively local.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Flying Turns joined the chat.
Beat me to it! What a fascinating construction project, that really led to the question "will" it open.

Also reminds me of Vertigo at Walibi Belgium, both in how long it took to go up, stay up... and how quickly it was to take back down. :p

Other notably weird projects:
  • The 3 years of rampant speculation and anticipation around Cedar Point's Maverick. In 2005, word got out that something would be built in Frontier Town - eventually learning of White Water Landing's demise. Skyhawk opened in 2006, yet the front page of newspapers were focused on the mysterious cement footers in the adjacent pond. The slow-construction of Maverick throughout the year before announcement left many confused and lost at how Intamin track was being installed in such tight configuration (this was, afterall, the first "blitz" style coaster, Intamin having historically been known for Hypers and Accelerators to date). Ultimately, the coaster details announcement came super late, causing CF to have a quite permanent construction topic for many years.
  • Anyone remember when Six Flags Great Adventure announced Total Mayhem, and pulled a "Joker" takeover rebrand? Definitely weird, in a not-making-big-media-splash kinda way.

AidanCKY

Mega Poster
Icon's construction was strange in that BPB finally got a bloody coaster.

I remember around 2015(ish), the first sightings of the 'Project 2017' wheel cover on a jeep in the car park. No photos showed up at first, so the Project 2017 jeep was merely a rumour for a bit.

Then came the jeep photos. Followed by the removal of the Tom Sawyer bridge.
Initial thoughts from forum members were a Premier Skyrocket or an S&S Free Spin.

After some time, we got a few ominous leaks and ta-da! It's a Mack double launch.
Construction was eagerly anticipated; how are they going to build around all those tightly knit rides?!

Even now when I sit back and reflect, it's bloody weird that BPB has a Mack multi launch.
Although nowhere near Helix levels of fun, it's something I have to appreciate being relatively local.

That one was strange, the Jeep was perplexing at the time, had something similar to Imagineering on the back of it but PB's own silly version.

Back when I was a teenager, the construction of Infusion was wierd and exciting. The park removing the log flume and then little teasers being given here and there. Signage going up teasing a new project. So much speculation and excitement.

And then everyone began to realise it was a relocated SLC from down the road.