What's new

St. George's Day

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
As you know, today is St. George's Day. However, I am disgusted at the lack of celebration of the day.

On 17th March every year entire cities go crazy for St. Patrick's Day. In Bristol, for example, there are hundreds of pubs that put on offers and erect huge green banners.

On 23rd April every year no-one gives a ****. In Bristol I saw one pub, ONE PUB, with a board up giving details of offers on today. This pub was owned by the Royal British Legion.

I find it ridiculous that we're all happy to celebrate St. Partick's Day when, lets face it, most of us aren't Irish. There are huge parties in the street and everyone gets lashed in big green hats. Most of the time these people aren't even Irish and can't even claim any link to Ireland.

Tonight there will be nothing. No-one will dance in the middle of the road, completely ****-faced with a St. George flat painted on their face. Why? Surely we should be celebrating St. George's Day with a bit more enthusiasm than we do.

I genuinely feel like we're losing our honour and loyalty to our country. How can it be that we feel more pride during St. Patrick's' day than we do on St. George's Day? He's the Patron Saint of England for ****s sake?!

So, what's your opinion? Do you think that we're becoming unpatriotic bastards? Why can't we celebrate St. George's Day well? Why the **** do we feel like we have the right to celebrate St. Patrick's Day on a grander scale than St. George's Day?

Discuss.

Ollie

CF Legend
I haven't noticed anything about St. Georges day for years. Before people used to hang Union Jacks everywhere and have party's but no it's just like any other day.

Pierre

Strata Poster
To be honest I'm disgusted with the amount of people moaning about how we don't celebrate St. Georges Day as much as St. Patricks Day is celebrated.

If you want to make a difference go out and celebrate the day.
The amount of people who can't just celebrate the day themselves without worrying about the number of people surrounding them celebrating as well just gets on my tits.

The Irish know how to celebrate, the English are just pushovers, they moan, but they never act upon it.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
^Ah, but I will be going out this evening and celebrating. Maybe not as publicly as people do St. Patrick's Day, but that's due to the fact that it is no cheaper for me to do so.

I just don't see why organisations make more of a fuss about St. Patrick's Day than they do about St. George's Day.

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Aren't we not allowed to celebrate St. George's Day because it could possibly offend other races who have come to the country and haven't been born here?

That's the main reason why we don't see flags everywhere anymore, cos people complain to councils and shizz...

My England flag is about somewhere...

Pierre

Strata Poster
Because when people go out for St. Patricks Day everyone is out for a good piss-up and a wicked laugh.

When people go out for St. Georges Day they moan about it not being as good as St. Patricks Day.

As a business I know which atmosphere I'd prefer and market more towards.

Steven

Giga Poster
I did hang a flag up today but it had to be taken down due to heath and safety, bloody police. Never mind they are doing there job.

Ben

CF Legend
King Goon said:
I did hang a flag up today but it had to be taken down due to heath and safety.

He came back from the dead and teamed up with someone called "safety"... what...?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
But why should the flags have to be put down and all the other ****e that we seem to have to do?

Other races can't come to England and expect us to drop our traditions. I think that's actually a bit rude. **** them, we have every right to celebrate.

It seems to me as if we're just pussying out, because we can't be bothered. If St. George's Day was properly advertised, even on the same scale as St. Patrick's Day, then I'd be willing to bet that it would be more successful, primarily because people would feel patriotic.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
St. George is known as the saint of scouting. England is known as the country where everything has to be validated by all involved parties before action is taken. PC is strangling the people, like the rest of the world, but no computers involved.

We have an annual celebration of St .George's Day with our scout group. It involves a two-minute speech from the head scout in Norway (printed and read out loud by a volunteer), and a renewal of the scout's oath, the rest is organised by the individual group. As a quite secular group, we stop the religion there (well, as a tradition, we sing the Scout's prayer as well at the end of the day), and have fun the rest of the day. All in all, thumbs up for the ideals, screw the religion behind them.

peep

CF Legend
Lain said:
Pfft, he wasn't even English...

St. Patrick wasn't Irish.

People want to celebrate it, you should have seen the turnout in London's Trafalgar Square when Spamalot did an event to help celebrate it. I've never seen so many peeps squeezed into that space before (they even ran out of supplies for the event). The event wasn't even advertised much, so goes to show that if pubs celebrated the day by actually advertising then peeps will go and celebrate by drinking silly amounts of alcohol.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Pierre said:
To be honest I'm disgusted with the amount of people moaning about how we don't celebrate St. Georges Day as much as St. Patricks Day is celebrated.

If you want to make a difference go out and celebrate the day.
The amount of people who can't just celebrate the day themselves without worrying about the number of people surrounding them celebrating as well just gets on my tits.

The Irish know how to celebrate, the English are just pushovers, they moan, but they never act upon it.

This!

The thing that gets me, is that people think this is some kind of PC nonsense. It's not.

St. Georges day has NEVER been celebrated by the English in a big way. In 36 years I can't remember there ever being a major St. George's day celebration. It's nothing to do with PC at all, it's all to do with apathy.

The English are an apathetic bloody lot. As Pierre says, if you want to celebrate it, then do it. There were lots of events on for St. George's day yesterday (last year I took the Family_Furie to a castles and dragon's day up at Stafford Castle).

Most councils hold these kinds of events, as do a lot of tourist attractions. If you don't take time off work, and DON'T support these events, then what do you expect?

PC my arse basically - apathy is the simple reason.

I wrote a St. George's mummers play actually. George and the huge bollocks. It's all about how St. George overcomes the dragon with his enormous testicles. It's very accurately fifteenth century and was performed at this time of year at medieval events (performed by me :p ).

Ho hum...

Emmett

Giga Poster
I see they have a group of celebrities going around promoting St. Georges Day and trying to get a national holiday on the day.

From someone who enjoys the whole St. Patrick’s Day celebrations and the various festival events which lead up to it, if I lived in England I would look forward and enjoy the events. Over here whole communities get involved with organising parades and events, the tourism industry gets a huge boost, it provides a good advert for Ireland and it’s generally provides a good lift in peoples moods especially in these bad times.

Also a national day would help promote England overseas and all the areas all over the world where ex-pats live could organise their own celebrations like what happens with St. Patrick’s Day all over the world.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
hixee said:
As you know, today is St. George's Day.

Well, I didn't. Whoops!

Furie has already said what I was thinking as I was reading the topic. It has never been celebrated on a big scale. It hasn't changed because of immigration at all. It was never there in the first place.

St Patrick's day is all bollocks anyway. "Ooohhhh my granddad drank a pint of Guiness once, I'm Irish!" **** off.

Stone Cold

Mega Poster
Every year there's a comparison between St Patrick's Day and St George's Day by someone, it's almost as inevitable as people assuming that everyone is celebrating St Patrick's Day when in fact, 95% of them are just out to take advantage of promotional drinks prices, that just happen to fall on St Patrick's day because it's a day as good as any other.

Look closely at the the green hats, nearly all of them have a Guinness logo on somewhere, and the truth is that it's Guinness that consistently promoted St Patrick's Day as a way to increase their sales (which it does). That's why it's so popular, because it encourages people out to get drunk, people who don't partake in drinking (and aren't Irish) generally tend not to celebrate St Patrick's Day.

Funny also how St Andrew's Day and St David's Day pass without a mention in England and no-one complains. This is because St Patrick's Day is uniquely huge, it's huge in places as far away as America, Australia and New Zealand - places which, unlike the UK, are fiercely patriotic.