What's new

Spain June/July 2018

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Sorry for the delay in writing this. Have been busy over the summer and only just found the time. For those who didn’t already know, I recently went on a 2 week trip to Spain, covering the Madrid parks, Zaragoza, Barcelona, Tibidabo and Port Aventura. This is was my first time ever in Spain so all experiences were new to me. As this trip was a few months ago and that I took over 2000 photos over the course of the trip, this report will be mostly a photo dump with the occasional caption. Brief plan of whole trip:

Day 1 – Madrid Royal Palace and Old Town (27/6/18)

Trip started with a 6am Easyjet flight to Madrid out of Liverpool airport. Airport experience was smooth except for the fact the gate supposedly closed at 5:50am but didn’t even open till 5:40am! By pure luck, I did end up sat right outside the gate while waiting for gate to be announced. This meant I was first in the queue to get on the plane!
NEJ8qkG.png

Me on the plane while waiting for everyone else to board.

Once on the plane, flight went smoothly and landed in Madrid on time. Bit of faff at the airport as wasn’t sure where to find where to buy the unlimited travel pass for the Metro. Eventually found that and was straight onto the Metro to my hotel. Ended up at the hotel 30mins before check-in time so used that time to sort myself out and get on the hotel Wi-Fi. Once checked in, I dumped my bags and straight into the city centre aiming for the Royal Palace. Walking out of Opera Metro station and seeing Madrid City Centre was one of the few ‘Wow’ moments I’ve had recently. While I was expecting nice architecture, I wasn’t expecting how nice it was and set me in good spirits for the rest of the trip.
HOxqTHi.png

PTqm8KJ.png

zr20IAd.png

LrGkLyK.png

I then wandered over to the Royal Palace and Cathedral, still enjoying the local architecture. Ended up walking through a formal gardens style area on the way.
kdt0AZg.png

Vh7BgK2.png

yqNdCL1.png

8qRZNIU.png

YYJq9cb.png

5hxPaaC.png

h6K5lsK.png

P8wxXu2.png

iROxrVN.png

Before going into the Cathedral Museum, I decided to take a look at the view from the plaza area to find you can quite clearly see Parque de Attraciones from there! Was a rather unexpected bonus as didn’t realise how close to the city centre the park is! Roll on day 2 when I planned to be at the park!
nuBbyK5.png

j3yeg9H.png

After that excitement, I utilised my student discount to get a discounted ticket into the Cathedral Museum. I’m not religious so wasn’t fussed about the history of the building, I just knew this would allow me up to the top of the dome of the cathedral for the view. As expected, the view was fantastic and I took many photos:
9pDo80a.png

ZuAfAWJ.png

2ZGWqfs.png

bHurMvs.png

(Soon Abismo, Soon...)
bOlczNG.png

CZQhZdM.png

BuM3TTR.png

PZ0e0dM.png

(Can’t remember whose football stadium this was, it’s not Real Madrid though)
wSzo7B8.png

LA3PGvh.png

ohkykqk.png

Inside the cathedral is nice but only average in comparison to other cathedrals, especially as they tend to get very samey after a while.
R0tdKcM.png

eqxX8C8.png

UIO2OYK.png

liHqD83.png

BdafyPy.png

This box was mentioned as significant in the cathedral museum but can’t remember significance myself. Roughly translated from Spanish, the cathedral website has this which I think is about the box pictured:

Cathedral Website said:
The central chapel of the ambulatory is dedicated to San Isidro Labrador and his wife Santa María de la Cabeza. The images of both saints, imposing polychrome carvings of baroque style (17th and 18th century) attributed to Villabrille and Ron, flank the funeral ark, protected by a double glass urn, which contained the incorrupt remains of the saint who, at present, they are in the Collegiate Church of San Isidro. This ark, from the thirteenth century and from the Episcopal Palace, presents scenes of the saint, painted in oil on coated leather; These are developed between typical Gothic arches of the s. XIII. The sarcophagus is made of wood covered with parchment.

After the cathedral, I went into the Cathedral Vaults which weren’t particularly interesting but still grabbed a few photos:
wmczYoL.png

HiUS24Y.png

7Yh6LIN.png

Afterwards, I again utilised student discount to get into the Royal Palace. Palace was very nice although the decorations in most rooms was a bit over decadent for my liking. No photos were allowed inside but I did take numerous photos in the allowed areas:
72a1f9W.png

r0KJWqQ.png

C0ta1DY.png

5XobLga.png

YltE5gN.png

8NaPBqF.png

tACYVcy.png

kJLJ7lt.png

6LLm17b.png

yvKkbFd.png

z66XIRR.png

After the royal palace, I took a slow wander back through the city centre aiming for Plaza Mayor and Puerta del Sol. Reached Puerta del Sol first:
fgFocKH.png

(Not at Sol but was on way, think some sort of old Jailhouse/church but not sure)
NMBoC5d.png

6rqZoBZ.png

q9mQgOT.png

kLnupAA.png

i4tpBl2.png

5yhrTuh.png

0xafIvb.png

5ZWvagj.png

XXDsGbf.png

Although it was nice, it was very busy with tourists, detracting from the experience as it felt like a tourist-trap. Was nowhere near as bad as most of Barcelona later in this report though. After Sol, I “accidentally on purpose” got lost wandering vaguely towards Plaza Mayor. At this point, I hadn’t configured the data roaming on my phone so no Google Maps to direct me. This did allow me to see parts of the city I otherwise wouldn’t have although I probably was just wandering in a very zig-zag fashion for a while.
dlb3L8B.png

sWBiCiO.png

euUQo1I.png

KofHGzn.png

GCwH42K.png

4HLMpTe.png

Eventually found my way to Plaza Mayor. Again, this felt very touristy but was enjoyable enough.
n85VnfF.png

ZSLgIcK.png

D2OToJx.png

FrYBxTI.png

rqJJzvZ.png

(Attempted a Panorama photo using the built-in feature on my phone, seems to have come out quite well, if a bit small on here.)

More old town wandering followed this before finding the recommended Mercado de San Miguel. Had eaten a large late lunch in the Opera area so only purchased a drink from one of the fruit stalls which was lovely. I did return later on in this report for paella though.
gLxl8Ne.png

qSetUUo.png

6C7mWSi.png

YUGbuqV.png

782Z7U9.png

mQqHEMG.png

It was about this point I realised how close to Plaza Mayor and Opera station I still was, given it felt quite far apart due to my roundabout route of finding them. With this knowledge, I continued wandering with the aim of missing the worst of rush hour on the Metro. This caused me to end up wandering generally towards Callao metro station:
CSx4PBM.png

oP3btuw.png

efEXiWC.png

(back of jailhouse/church building pictured earlier)

GS0IN9D.png

bH5arpb.png

UOi6qHk.png

6w3ek9B.png

uG87vDC.png

gpkLmvf.png

pKtpdjm.png

(This shop name made me smile)

At this point, my feet were aching after so much walking so jumped on Metro back to hotel and crashed out after the long day. Day 2 with Parque de Attraciones coming soon!

Last edited:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 2 – Parque de Attraciones de Madrid (28/6/18)

Day started well with nice breakfast at hotel and was straight onto the Metro towards the park. Park didn’t open till midday so was able to have a small lie in before breakfast. Had slight problem on way to the park as Metro train didn’t park correctly at one of the stations on route, causing panic as doors didn’t open!

On arrival at the park, a large amount of people were gathered at the entrance so expected park to be busy. As I’d pre-booked ticket online, I mentioned to get through the crowd quickly and was virtually straight into the park. Most photos today were taken from queue lines and didn’t take my proper camera so forgive any bad photos! (All photos uploaded in order that I took them so may appear out of order of rides done)

tP43UUw.jpg

Once on park, I did plan to get the low capacity Abismo and Vertigo out the way first but stumbled upon the 2 children’s coasters (Paw Patrol and Padrinos Voladores) which were both walk on so ticked them off early. Both not much to write home about but still was +2. Afterwards, I just went around the park, hitting whatever I came across focussing on the coasters. This meant TNT Tren de la Mina was next. One train operations meant this had built up a long slow queue, meant I could get some photos of ride and nearby Splash Boat (Fiordos) ride though:
FLlrWBX.jpg

uLmgJwT.jpg

z9KzYBw.jpg

BFURaQk.jpg

UfcCqYP.jpg

Ea44X0P.jpg

The design of this queue being so close to the Splash Boat station did make me wander if they had modified the Splash Boat queue when building TNT, reusing the same building? It did seem odd having both rides and queue lines in such close proximity with numerous people getting confused as to which ride they were queuing for.

Ride itself was fun but nothing spectacular. Best bit was the final few turns when the ride had picked up some decent speed. Leaving the splash boat for later, I continued into the park towards Vertigo, the park’s Wild Mouse. After seeing an hour queue posted on the queue time boards and seeing medical staff within the queue, I considered skipping it for now but sucked it up and entered the queue. Luckily, it turned out to only be a ~30min queue. The medical staff were treating someone in the queue line though, possible heatstroke but unsure. Hope they’re okay but didn’t intrude so have no idea. Ride itself was a typical wild mouse, nothing special.

Afterwards, I continued round to one of the more anticipated rides of the trip, the Maurer X-car Abismo! Having only ridden G-Force before, I didn’t have much experience with this ride type and this always looked one of the better models. By ride design, this only has 1 12 person train, meaning another slow queue nearing 1hr. The queue didn’t have misters in though which was welcomed in the Spanish heat. The fact was a single rider helped here as there was an odd loading rule meaning they had to fill the train with no empty seats. This meant I got a short queue jump in order to fill a spare seat, got back row as well!

x9J7bof.jpg

(Car of old coaster situated nearby. As with the Remains of Defunct Rides topic, quite like this idea of memorialising old significant rides)

uHGBz4H.jpg

War9FWh.jpg

Abismo was fun but still could use being longer. Was also surprisingly rough in the back row as well. Note for future visits: I tend to leave restraints slightly loose to allow for more airtime and any unwelcome tightening during the ride, this idea is not fun on a slow, inverting lift hill…. (More Abismo photos later in report). Also nearby was this suspended monorail type thing. Came back to this later in the day for the photo opportunities:

WTkxXAt.jpg

70ZBPyD.jpg

Think it was about now I grabbed lunch of a Spanish Tortilla sandwich from a nearby stall. Wasn’t great quality but functioned perfectly well as food. Continued round the park next towards the Intamin invert, Tornado. This again was quite hotly anticipated due to the rareness of this ride type. Due to the park layout, Tornado is located down the end of a long 1 way path with no other rides, surely that could have been planned a bit better? 1 train operations again meant a sizable queue had built up but it moved quickly enough.

8ydJwH9.jpg

(not sure if there’s enough supports here, worth adding a couple more to be sure?)

XuENjfU.jpg

Ride was enjoyable but nothing special. Was odd having the same restraints as Colossus (TP) but on an inverted coaster.

To complete the coasters at this park, it was back up the dead end path from Tornado to Tarantula, the Maurer spinner. Again, had a long queue but it moved quickly enough. These rides are never amazing but always solid good fun, this one was no different. Got some decent spin and the drop in the short tunnel was fun due to how close the clearances felt. (pictured below)

Dcj4AVJ.jpg

All coasters done, I did plan on doing the log flume next door to Tarantula but that broke down while I was queuing for Tarantula and never re-opened. I instead did the indoor shooting ride the other side of Tarantula. While the ride was terrible, I did manage to get the highest score for my car! (seat 8, score not clear due to glare on screen)

d8ekueN.jpg

Next up were the 3 flats near Abismo: the Huss top spin, Intamin drop tower and Huss frisbee. All were typical of their ride type and good fun as usual. They were only running one side of the drop tower, causing yet another queue and I learnt that my tall self doesn’t make for comfortable Top Spin riding. Those restraints really dig into your shoulders!

mJHb7kB.jpg

Decided to make way back to the Splash Boats from earlier via the rapids. Took some general photos on route:

oAFo71l.jpg

Abismo above the trees.

6Bl1675.jpg

Main entrance midway of park with starflyer at top.

Again, massive queue for rapids extending out of queue-line (definitely a theme for today this…). Moved quickly though so got on soon enough. Rapids were very wet with a spiteful fountain halfway getting everyone on boat soaked. Continued up to splash boats to avoid getting wet twice in one day. As expected, Splash Boats were very wet especially since I was sat front row!

Went for a blow dry on TNT immediately afterwards as queue had died down slightly. Still as good as it was earlier in the day, if a bit faster having warmed up. Major rides complete, I ticked off some of the interesting smaller rides on offer, starting with the aforementioned suspended monorail thing. While it moved quite slowly, it did provide numerous photo opportunities:

4LfaULe.jpg

HrQ7n5B.jpg

M4IT3UR.jpg

OT6OsF5.jpg

Pd5qGdD.jpg

GPtniVF.jpg

pQ00rcD.jpg

IDAZPb7.png

Me on ride

FllIUxd.jpg

Disko was also closed all day…

mFzJOSk.jpg

From the monorail, I noticed this outdoor River Caves style boat ride. Decided to give it a go after getting off.

BLqWXqg.jpg

Upcharge horror walkthrough I didn’t do. The crowd of people was for some sort of event happening within the centre of the aforementioned Jungle Cruise boat ride which had rave style music playing quite loudly. Did see adverts for some sort of “Horror Fest” event beginning around 5pm though, perhaps it was for that? (Not sure why you’d pay theme park entry for a rave though?).

dCYbTcQ.jpg

Children’s area I didn’t spend much time in.

XoZWAhl.jpg

Carousel near Vertigo

After not getting any earlier, I got some photos of Vertigo from the monorail:

aXhXuSh.jpg

Vu3hlVd.jpg

Xw0R2U1.jpg

JjckuMc.jpg

Yet another Abismo shot. May not be a great ride but certainly looks nice.

Went over to the Jungle Cruise ride next. Good theming but a bit out-dated nowadays, doesn’t have same charm as River Caves. Didn’t help the aforementioned rave was happening in centre of ride so that was all I could hear.

6jLSzYr.jpg

pum4Pkp.jpg

F5rIK0v.jpg

tY2yk76.jpg

WLFU39X.jpg

b51BkP0.jpg

S7pFLv2.jpg

K5FmV1y.jpg

6tQd5jx.jpg

Very low bridge for ride to squeeze under. Not designed for tall people….

After this, I aimed for a ride on the nearby star flyer but found queue closed. Thinking it had broken, I continued round for a re-ride on Abismo. Upon finding that queue closed as well, it turns out that the advertised park close is obviously park close, not queue close as I’m used to in UK….. Hoping for a shorter queue, I ran round to Tornado for another ride. Got in the queue just before the queue closed. Got some photos of Tarantula from this queue:

SkP7ovo.jpg

gfdD01e.jpg

After this, I found some of the smaller flats still open so got a ride in on the rotor and chairswing before park closed fully. In complete breach of ride safety, I did try and grab some photos from top of rotor of all rides at dusk but all came out blurry. Could even see the city centre from certain angles! Think video came out decently enough though:

(I wouldn’t usually get phone out on large rides like this but view was nice and wanted to try and capture it)

Final Park thoughts: Nice enough park and surprisingly major given its location. Was my first experience of a Parques Reunidos park, can see why people complain over their management with the one train ops everywhere and the older rides feeling quite unloved. Would visit again if in Madrid again but wouldn’t rush back unless they got anything new. Would get an annual pass if local to the area though.

Final ride counts (courtesy of my LoG submission):

Rollercoasters
Paw Patrol x1
Padrinos Voladores x1 (x1 back)
TNT tren de la mina x2
Vertigo x1
Abismo x1 (x1 back)
Tornado x2
Tarantula x1

Water rides
Los rapidos x1
Fiordos x1

Dark / flat rides
Rotor x2
Cueva de la tarantula x1
Top spin x1
Lozenderos x1
La maquinas x1
Zeppelin x1
Las junglas x1
Sillas Voladores x1

Shows
N/A

After leaving park, I decided to head back into the city centre for food at Mercado de San Miguel and see the city centre at night. As suspected, the paella was fantastic and wanted more! (some photos blurry as phone camera doesn’t like night photos)

wmtN4nU.jpg

5Hgghds.jpg

jUrXrbF.jpg

V1ICQl9.jpg

xlPT6fR.jpg

pcaEpHP.jpg

The paella I had. Making me hungry just thinking about it…

QepVb9B.jpg

C4XJkZD.jpg

Ox0DVRV.jpg

Vy1RLs9.jpg

lYHqasS.jpg

oUU7c8f.jpg

6vPks3E.jpg

FUidDRs.jpg

oNxfA9g.jpg

gG6N22e.jpg

L9PDDl2.jpg

NXGoifO.jpg

Can’t remember if it was Day 1 or Day 2 but one evening while wandering near Plaza Mayor, I stumbled across a bar with an outdoor TV screen showing the Germany v South Korea World Cup match. I turned up as it was 0-0 with 5 mins to go so figured I’d just watch the end. Didn’t expect it to go to extra time and definitely did not expect South Korea’s 2-0 win!

Headed straight back to hotel to sleep afterwards before the earlier start for Parque Warner the next day. Trip report coming soon!

(ps. Imgur’s already being glitchy over uploading these photos, what’s going to be like at the end of this trip?)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 3 – Parque Warner (29/6/18)

Slightly earlier start today as park opened at 11:30 and had further to travel to get to the park. As recommended by many people on here, I got a train from Atocha station to Pinto station before getting the local bus service straight to the park. Other than a bit of faff buying train ticket at Atocha, journey was surprisingly smooth. For the train geeks on here, Spanish broad gauge train feel utterly no different to standard gauge trains, trains themselves more modern and spacious compared to British Rail though.

cwYwT0E.jpg

AzKhhEE.jpg

0XTgS1A.jpg

m4GRpAJ.jpg

Park entrance. As you can tell, the park was much quieter than Parque de Attraciones the day before. This meant most stuff was walk on or only had a short queue. This did also mean less time for photos though, have seemed to neglected taking photos for a large portion of the day. Once in the park, I headed straight for Stunt Fall (Vekoma GIB) knowing it has reliability problems, passing some nice scenery on the way:

3qNoxe6.jpg

lv5o0E4.jpg

Unfortunately, Stunt Fall was broken and was opening late. With Coaster Express down for re-tracking as well, I resigned myself to the likely double spite. With this in mind, I headed into the childrens area to clear up the to family coasters in the park, Tom y Jerry (Zierer Tivoli) and Correcaminos (Mack Youngstar).

Tom y Jerry ended up having the longest queue of the day as was popular with the families on park. Was just an average, very vibratey Tivoli which wasn’t much to write home about.

Was surprised to find Correcaminos running on 2 trains, meant it was virtually walk-on! Ride itself was fun and a nice departure from the standard Vekoma Rollerskater. It being Mack meant it was perfectly smooth and had comfortable trains. Came back later in the day for a re-ride.

While riding Correcaminos, I noticed a train ascending Coaster Express’s lift so powered over in the hope it had reopened after it’s re-tracking. Turned out the ride was indeed open and virtually walk on! One train operations though. Managed to claim back row which turned out to be a mistake. Ride was fun but still very jarring in places, more re-tracking recommended! You can really tell the areas that had been re-tracked over those that hadn’t, especially in the back row. There is an especially bad section coming into the final break run where you can actually see where the track has warped over the years! Still, glad it was open though. Got a re-ride later on in the day in a non-wheel seat midtrain. This helped but still was rough in parts.

Continiung round the park brought me to Batman. This was my first Batman invert that I’ve ridden and it certainly impressed! Very, very forceful and relentless throughout the layout, the quietness allowed me to snag either front or back row for all rides! The VR option meant for a slow moving queue though, even though it was on 2 trains. Did return later in the day for a VR ride. Also, got some photos of ride, queue and Gotham area of the park.

p5ycPkz.jpg

XREHyJ7.jpg

(Like Abismo, this tower can be seen from all over park so took many photos, did also ride it at some point)

lB8BwCE.jpg

vk67av2.jpg

GKhkiXb.jpg

Spied life in Stunt Fall from Batman’s lift so powered over. Ride was indeed open so joined the minimal queue. Once in station, the ride op tried talking to me in Spanish but it wasn’t clear what he wanted me to do so confusion ensued for a few moments as don’t know that much Spanish. Turns out all he wanted to do was height check me against the ride’s max height limit! (1.95m) Luckily, I was underneath that and was able to ride but obviously the basic Spanish lessons before this trip weren’t enough…

KKByqgV.jpg

6tRIL8K.jpg

eIZExC5.jpg

jF82S28.jpg

After initially walking past Superman on way to Stunt Fall, I made my way back to ride it. Found the ride on 2 trains again and completely walk on with most trains heading out half empty, was straight into the airgates! This was my first true B&M floorless (not counting Baron) so was interested in how it would ride. This has turned out to be one of my favourite coasters as every element is fantastic and well executed. There’s even airtime on the first drop if sat back row. Immediately went round for another ride! All rides bar 1 were in back row.

Fd1tZ3m.jpg

Ikc0rc2.jpg

b1mGKSh.jpg

jUDeC6I.jpg

Superman’s break run has a very clear view over the Parque Warner waterpark which I didn’t visit. What amazed me was although it was a hot day, the 2 large B&Ms in this park were walk-on while there was a massive queue for all slides in the waterpark. I enjoy waterparks but think I know where I’d rather be!

Stopped for lunch at large restaurant near Stunt Fall. Was busy inside restaurant so sat outside on terrace by lake with fountains. Took these photos over lunch:

3oUkdT7.jpg

XGeno6x.jpg

yUCE6aa.jpg

After this point, I have lost track as to which order I did everything so shall post some thoughts on each ride in a rough order.

Cine Tour: Vaguely cinema themed vintage car ride. Had nice view of Stunt Fall so took photos of Stunt Fall and theming.

cXfnulE.jpg

nppRqBB.jpg

JOInW94.jpg

6dE2JNu.jpg

kUJW4Cn.jpg

q8xFmQE.jpg

RCjv7Mp.jpg

iii4CzN.jpg

SvSp7I9.jpg

m9wrhCr.jpg

Os Yogios: Splash Battle themed to Yogi Bear next to Stunt Fall. Very wet and very interactive, managed to spray some non-riders trying to spray me! Went back to stunt fall afterwards for a blow dry.

Hotel Embrujado: Went in expecting a ghost train, got a decent mad house with all story in Spanish so couldn’t understand it. Fun though.

Vengenza de Enigma: Large drop tower seen all over park. Got lost trying to find the entrance to this. For such a prominent ride, the entrance is really tucked away down a side path with no obvious signs. Were only running one side but opened up a second side as I walked up so rode the second side. Think this was the shot side rather than drop but unsure. Have a photo from base of tower:

xrOLM4B.jpg

Rapidos Acme: Surprisingly fun rapids in family area of park, not quite as good as the Parque de Attraciones de Madrid ones but still good fun. Went for a reride later on as well. Had a nicely themed queueline, had screens playing roadrunner cartoons and all these suspended items moved slowly along the course. Helped brighten up an otherwise standard cattlepen:

0vSYRIM.jpg

kWgIi3z.jpg

Rio Bravo: Surprisingly long large flume ride. Initially broke down on me before I could ride. Left queue when they started evacuating those onride… Came back later on to ride and enjoyed it. Had element though which took me completely by surprise:

Not only is there a backwards drop halfway around the course, it’s a rollercoaster style backwards drop! Didn’t not expect the airtime hill as part of the backwards drop. Quite cleverly hidden from view off ride so had no idea it was coming

Cataratas Salvajas: Fairly standard splash boat. Was very wet but still re-rode later on!

Los carrios de la mina: Breakdance style ride near Rio Bravo. Fun but short cycle, took longer to load than ride time!

Academia dos Pilotos: Standard children’s monorail, nothing special.

Aventuros de Scooby Doo: Well themed family friendly shooter. Again went in not knowing what to expect.

Invertatron: Lex Luthor themed Top Spin. Managed to sit more comfortably on this compared to last one so shoulders didn’t ache as much during.

Loco Academias de Policias: Only saw this show as was wandering past arena as it was about to start. Was surprisingly good and stunts were fun to watch, didn’t expect them to bring out a lorry cab though. Show arena:

NOuglOw.jpg

xPF3hlN.jpg

vemYmUm.jpg

b7iZvfg.jpg

Hf6lsJe.jpg

(think half the park was at the show…)

Batman VR: While I’m in the camp that VR doesn’t belong on major coasters like this, this was quite fun. Video graphics weren’t amazing but did the trick nicely and did sync up with ride. What I liked most about this system though is the organisation this has but Galactica/Air lacks. Not only is the VR a completely separate queue to normal riders, the headsets are completely removable from the train. Each row has its own headsets stored in a separate room in the station and given to riders as they need it, allowing for varying demand and a more thorough cleaning between use. If VR is to be used on more coasters in the future, it should definitely be this system instead of the faff currently on Galactica/Air.

Finished the day off with re-rides on Superman and Batman until park close. Headed straight back to hotel after leaving park.

Final Park thoughts: Much larger and much nicer that Parque de Attractiones with more major rides, would definitely visit again. In a way, its very similar to Thorpe: Large park located just outside country’s capital that requires a train and bus transfer to get there from city centre… Very enjoyable day, the shorter queues helped. Final ride counts:

Rollercoasters
Tom y Jerry x1
Correcaminos Bip Bip x2 (x2 back)
Coaster Express x2 (x1 back)
Batman x4 (x2 front, x1 vr, x1 back)
Stunt Fall x4 (x1 back, x1 front)
Superman x4 (x3 back)

Water rides
Os yogios x1
Cataratas salvajas x2
Rapidos Acme x2
Los carros de la mina x1

Dark / flat rides
Hotel embrujado x1
Venganza del enigma x1
Academia de pilotos x1
Cine tour x1
Aventuros de scooby doo x1
Los carros de la mina x1
Invertatron x1

Shows
Loco Academias de Policias x1

Day 4 and more wandering around Madrid coming soon!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 4 – Railway Museum and Retiro Park

Lots of photos today, Imgur saying 200 photos for days 1-3, but 275 just for day 4! No parks for a while either, just cultural things around Madrid and Zaragoza.

Started today at the Museo Ferrocarril de Madrid (Madrid Railway Museum). While I don’t consider myself a full train enthusiast, I do still enjoy railways so when I spied the existence of this museum on Google Maps, I decided it’s be worth a visit, especially as the museum is located in an old railway station.

aRz7JGw.jpg

G6TDkKh.jpg

On arrival on the museum, a short thunderstorm started so quickly ran for cover in the museum itself. Small entry fee but utilised student discount again. As expected, inside was many old trains and I took many photos. As most of the signs were in Spanish, I missed a lot of the details about the trains in the museum and anything I learnt I have since forgotten, making this section not much more than a list of photos. Feel free to skip over this section if bored by train photos:

UpSu5Zl.jpg

LJy9U2P.jpg

1Uk74Z5.jpg

enOnJTy.jpg

bIeww35.jpg

D01R8zM.jpg

MGTvUr4.jpg

XltYSqB.jpg

T0wG5O8.jpg

4KixK12.jpg

2Lsqn3u.jpg

xfTmYKY.jpg

51g5F0R.jpg

O6AzguP.jpg

jpxmxDX.jpg

(Useful explanation of Spanish train numbering system)

bbXJIUQ.jpg

lWaseC1.jpg

uPY9EXA.jpg

wNykbiI.jpg

U3vUkB3.jpg

7sRo1U9.jpg

EBLVljW.jpg

ddnlV4G.jpg

nc8IjUs.jpg

CALRKkK.jpg

aS1vOmZ.jpg

sza80zU.jpg

m7eOyWv.jpg

(Living Quarters aboard one of the carriages, think this was the royal train carriage but unsure)

7Xi30M3.jpg

(balcony on same carriage)

qa5JDMV.jpg

GrAl8Ba.jpg

(old restaurant car still used as museum café)

s2njjqB.jpg

q2p7tqG.jpg

ZeVsciA.jpg

UM6OH5X.jpg

YmyTtHe.jpg

(Model of what museum building would have looked like as a railway station)

Wt3pZlq.jpg

(model of British Garratt locomotive in their Model Display, only mention of UK in entire museum)

mH1UUk4.jpg

(3D model of entire Spanish railway network including heights and gradients)

iJ5Xwvs.jpg

PpLzKD1.jpg

8kuby1S.jpg

Unfortunately, the outdoor section of the museum was closed off for some reason so couldn’t get a close look at the outdoor locomotives they had. Still got some photos through the windows though at various points throughout the day:

twDLL6d.jpg

XhLHQFi.jpg

8xNVp2L.jpg

5wERHKA.jpg

ItIFFIf.jpg

Museum was nice to see and worth visiting but I wouldn’t put it down as a must-see while in Madrid, especially since it is clearly geared for more local people rather than tourists like me. After leaving the museum, I wandered towards the south end of Retiro Park, passing the exterior of Atocha station and other nice buildings on the way.

dL8NKmE.jpg

OuMX0lh.jpg

osFNWys.jpg

CvK8qZ3.jpg

tIrHGL7.jpg

QcC1slY.jpg

jDiJP0W.jpg

jTEkygt.jpg

qGLKGOq.jpg

fwWZ48K.jpg

y6OWUAT.jpg

v2186xO.jpg

kgGK0cS.jpg

Once in Retiro, I took a long winding walk through the park with no particular aim, eventually finding myself to the large central lake. It being another hot day, I was grateful for the numerous water bottle refill points situated around the park.

6f8f7Mj.jpg

qAi3BUD.jpg

FFmtsQX.jpg

McM8IOe.jpg

7kmLRQE.jpg

S4fCq08.jpg

F0qw274.jpg

HILbXSg.jpg

NFaBORR.jpg

ekCxM7s.jpg

Qnwk3jn.jpg

PkjnuSJ.jpg

5ydaQhv.jpg

IpqGeCd.jpg

(Doubt this has anything to do with the French park of the same name but still amused me)

aPMpYb2.jpg

obOnN05.jpg

Found my way to the crystal palace and to my surprise, they had turtles/tortoises in the small lake there! No idea if these are completely wild or placed there by park management but was still fun to see. They’re obviously used to people though as would swim right up to people for food like ducks would.

31WRwUS.jpg

gJXtnKZ.jpg

3RYI4Qh.jpg

BlcwhWH.jpg

sr7WlOV.jpg

sG05cYm.jpg

YFy8LDg.jpg

bxYkZzC.jpg

5kmWJzi.jpg

(See foot for how close they were getting, some would even swim right up to the step)

Went inside the Crystal Palace but didn’t spend too long inside. All the glass windows just intensified the heat on the already hot day! I bet it’s nice in there though during a rainstorm though, love the sound of rain on tents so must be fantastic in there.

M01HlNM.jpg

roEMEVE.jpg

Zy0sSAT.jpg

2jpdsIx.jpg

CNAowcn.jpg

UTT8Rqq.jpg

After the crystal palace, I continued walking vaguely towards the central lake, via the exterior of a building being used to hold a modern art exhibition. I returned later in the day to actually go in.

ZDMs6OA.jpg

Iemouot.jpg

Found the lake!

aawqVnu.jpg

asU5oWr.jpg

ZETVZNV.jpg

xCVjNIu.jpg

IN4AzCu.jpg

kgkp6Yu.jpg

bxKBydw.png

injf5O5.jpg

k9e7tuP.jpg

IlEdMoL.jpg

QtzAPko.jpg

qXLqg6d.jpg

GrDqA2X.jpg

TGsHYcH.jpg

KybCBVO.jpg

IccVhYG.jpg

OFInskj.jpg

kIbG6Ak.jpg

MgMfUoF.jpg

tXqukUd.jpg

54A2Gtj.jpg

Made my way back to the aforementioned modern art exhibition, mostly for the architecture of the building. I don’t care for modern art so didn’t really pay much thought to the art.

34zbTUC.jpg

YWCGfBf.jpg

o0pSubi.jpg

hoLnMgi.jpg

dnokeg2.jpg

After spending not much time at all with the modern art, I started wandering towards the Prado for some proper art, taking photos on the way. It was at this point my shoes were starting to fall apart from the heavy usage so started to cause my shoes to ache. I persevered though as knew my budget for the trip likely wouldn’t cover new shoes. While I knew a lot more walking was yet to come, I thought I might as well wear these shoes into the ground first (more on this later in the report, was running low on funds while at Port Aventura)

j2jOFzZ.jpg

5euDsnM.jpg

edfg2uC.jpg

OMjrrai.jpg

(This building confused me as had various Prado signs on it so knowing the Prado was in this general area, I thought this was it. It especially worried me it said it was closed…. After a quick google, I discovered it wasn’t the Prado itself but was indeed owned by the Prado as a library/outbuilding of sorts)

HDyGMUe.jpg

sg8etV7.jpg

0r7URCJ.jpg

TfmXJJp.jpg

(The back of the same building)

nk72YVo.jpg

ajOAvVp.jpg

MfygR8V.jpg

wQAxkkN.jpg

(Church outside of the Prado, nice building but didn’t hang around as there was a private event on at the time I kind of walked right through the middle of….)

BT2htrd.jpg

HTgDkbH.jpg

rj7B9HS.jpg

The Prado itself. Again, I utilised student discount which meant I could get in for free (before the public free evening hours). At this point, you may be glad to know that no photos were allowed inside so no photos were taken. They almost didn’t allow my water bottle in either but instead gave me a plastic bag to hold the bottle with promise that I wouldn’t drink anything while inside. This museum is huge though. Didn’t expect how large it was and it took me 2 and half hours just to walk round all of it! All paintings were very good quality and especially loved the 2nd and 3rd May paintings.

Afterwards, I made my way back towards the lake within Retiro as spied a good number of cafes there. While I knew the price would be inflated due it being the touristy area, I was hungry as didn’t have much lunch and couldn’t be arsed walking anywhere else. As expected, the food was good enough but was expensive for what it was, wouldn’t eat there again if it can be avoided. The location right on the edge of the lake more than made up for it though.

After food, I started wandering towards a nearby rooftop bar as recommended by @Hixee, passing numerous nice buildings on the way.

Puerto de Alcala: (this was featured on my tourist Metro ticket so made sure I saw it)

ecuFmgg.jpg

Cba2IzS.jpg

3l0SVwJ.jpg

yFckOEP.jpg

LVlptls.jpg

2JI6TCQ.jpg

City Hall: (believe this has a viewing platform as well at the top but was already closed for the evening when I got there, also had some construction work happening on the building at the time)

myV0OTJ.jpg

IokgtpY.jpg

HLEIfsf.jpg

Other nearby buildings:

d1TuHVc.jpg

psW5QDI.jpg

SQGYBM9.jpg

M0aimGQ.jpg

Ny8bVn5.jpg

Krp3H90.jpg

At this point, I reached the rooftop bar but there was a massive queue to enter so didn’t bother. Instead, I continued up Gran Via, taking photos as I went:

dwMSbGK.jpg

(The building housing the rooftop bar)

BVAjv2i.jpg

3AlcPiQ.jpg

L4VgK0f.jpg

CKcGb1L.jpg

r4jj0H1.jpg

rgn4UHm.jpg

oFtEjDi.jpg

Construction work meant the street felt even more busy than I guess it would usually. With camera batteries now completely exhausted, I purchased some new ones (along with some cheap Spanish off-brand Haribo) and went back to the hotel for the evening. As this my last proper day in Madrid, I shall post my thoughts now.

Madrid: Lovely city with some fantastic architecture all around the city centre. The parks nearby were also fantastic and would happily hold an annual pass for both if I lived locally. Would love to go back one day.

As a side note, what I noticed in Madrid and Barcelona that I’ve found is pretty uncommon elsewhere is the efficiency of usage of space in the city centres. Almost every large square had an underground car park and/or large metro station beneath. Even the more historic locations like Sol and Plaza Mayor they must have dug up to build everything! Even the public loos in Retiro were underground. Just made everything so much less hindered by having to build these items above ground as is common in the UK, meaning the sights could be enjoyed without these items spoiling the ambience and view.

Sorry for the massively photo-heavy long post here, reports should be shorter from here onwards. Will write up Day 5 soon.

jayjay

Giga Poster
Dear God, that's a lot of photos. Railway museum noted, thanks. Making notes for next year because I need to go to Madrid.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Sorry for the delay in continuing this. Uni work suddenly built up and when you spend all day writing a large essay, you’re not exactly motivated to write a different essay/trip report in the evenings!

No park trips for a while as covering the ISWZ part of the trip, shall try and keep it brief as understand it may not be of interest to most. Much less photos for a while as well!

Day 5 – Travel to Zaragoza (1/7/18)

Checked out of Madrid hotel smoothly and went straight to Atocha for my 11:30 train to Zaragoza. Didn’t realise until arriving at Atocha the long distance trains in Spain a treated like planes and had to go through security before getting into the platform area! Managed to get through smoothly though and waited in waiting room area for platform to be announced. Once the platform was announced, there was a small rush to get through the ticket check and down to platform, causing a short queue at the ticket check.

R9rrC4T.jpg

(The train I was on)

I didn’t realise until boarding I’d accidentally booked into first class on the train so got wide leather seats for the journey!

7vIhoft.jpg

TU6XGYU.jpg

Train departed smoothly and on time but as we were pulling out the station, I realised I’d left my water bottle in the waiting room! Was slightly annoyed over that as was almost constantly thirsty in the Spanish heat and needed the water. I’d also had that water bottle since the start of uni, I still miss it!

7WPCUfy.jpg

(The short distance platforms at Atocha as seen from train)

Train journey was smooth and fast. I figured I was booked on the express service between Madrid and Barcelona via Zaragoza but didn’t expect to hit 300kmh-1 (186mph)! I forget the name of the intermediary stop, but the town had a nice castle on a hill in town. Cue me getting Ed Sheeran stuck in my head…

Ax0QJ4Z.jpg

jzQR5LO.jpg

Train also passed some more nice scenery on route but passed way too quickly to be able to photograph it clearly.

On arriving into Zaragoza, I met with the organiser of the ISWZ course (Javier) at the station who gave me a lift to the university halls I’d be staying in for the duration of the course. He also provided me with a pre-payment card for the local public transport system to allow for easy travel around the city. (card worked similarly to the Oyster card system in London).

Once at residence, I dropped bags off in my room and headed down to the outdoor swimming pool located within the residence which I had free use of during my stay. Met with a few of the other ISWZ participants here as well.

AmCHPtT.jpg

(View from my room)

3u0JCkt.jpg

(The swimming pool as viewed from my room, there are another 2 pools out of shot I could use as well but that was the main one. I didn’t realise this at the time but one of those towers visible on the horizon is the drop tower at Parque de Attraciones de Zaragoza!)

After a quick swim, me and the other participants moved into the outdoor bar by the swimming pool to watch the Spain-Russia match on the TV there. Was a good close match but was more interesting watching the reactions of all the locals in the bar. Was especially amusing after Spain lost on penalties, all locals just left almost immediately! Some even left their drinks, they weren’t happy at the result!

After the match, almost all ISWZ participants had arrived so the whole group went for a meal at a nearby restaurant (La Antilla). Food was very nice but portions on the small side.

6F9aJWY.jpg

(Group photo of whole group + the 3 Zaragoza Uni staff organising the trip. I’m right at the back on the left)

Day 6 and the start of ISWZ coming soon!

Last edited:

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 6 – Start of ISWZ

Day starting with a disappointing breakfast at the residence. Was nothing more than 2 packs of dry biscuits and 1 doughnut. Nothing like the full continental breakfast range I could enjoy at the Madrid hotel. I wasn’t alone in not enjoying the breakfast, almost everyone complained. At least it was free though as part of the whole ISWZ course.

After a quick bus ride into town, the first activity was a visit to the original university building near the city centre. Once housing the Science and Medicine departments, it now houses a small Natural History Museum and various admin rooms for the uni.

DnjWUL3.jpg

ya18v5b.jpg

4gBQPAZ.jpg

jsuklpW.jpg

(Group photo taken outside the building, be prepared for quite a few group shots throughout this section of the trip. Again, I’m at the back in green shirt)

Inside the building, we were led into one of the lecture theatres for a short introductory talk about the course and Zaragoza in general.

sD5Df6X.jpg

(Guessing you should be able to recognise me by now, still in green shirt)

After the welcome talk, we were given a guided tour of the Natural History Museum. While the museum was small, it was very interesting and focussed on the numerous dinosaur fossils found within the Aragon region of Spain. Was surprised to find out just how many fossils had been found, didn’t really anticipate Spain as a large dinosaur region. Museum is open to the public so is well worth a visit.

Also had a tour of some of the ceremonial rooms in the building usually closed off to the public except for special university related events.

l9XMIlO.jpg

xqk7hH8.jpg

dlSYImS.jpg

CZEEkpI.jpg

TNkzhLe.jpg

5bBeNpv.jpg

AM3nbOq.jpg

(door into room, with one of the ISWZ participants (Aivaras) in the way)

QH5t22D.jpg

After this, we walked through the city towards the newer campus for the uni. New uni campus was nice but architecture certainly not as nice as the old Science building.

tSp6F55.jpg

(new science building)

F7xlAxE.jpg

BuSsmlr.jpg

(other building on campus, can’t remember which subject it housed)

gb1hNtt.jpg

QrW8QZs.jpg

(Maths building I think. Certainly not a fan of this concrete square architecture style)

Afternoon group activity consisted of whole group giving individual presentations on their home town and university. As the group consisted of numerous places around the globe (including San Diego and Venezuela!), the presentations were quite interesting to listen to. The presentation from the Venezuelan Student (Augusto) was especially interesting. Can’t remember the exact presentation but remember him saying he is effectively a refugee from Venezuela escaping the corrupt government situation there, family back home very poor and regularly get electricity blackouts as live in rural area. Was very interesting, wish I could remember more of it. (If anyone is interested, I still have the PowerPoint file for my presentation on Cardiff University I could share)

After the formal organised group activities finished for the day, most of the group decided to have a picnic in the pool area at the residence with food purchased from local supermarket. I joined in but didn’t anticipate the rest of the group using the chance to have a cheap drinking session, having not purchased any alcohol. With the group consisting almost entirely of students, I perhaps should have seen this coming…. I still attempted to join with their drinking games as best I could with the bottle of cheap off brand Fanta I’d purchased instead and I was still welcome within the group! I stayed until around 11:30 before leaving and heading to bed. (That Fanta bottle then became my replacement water bottle for the rest of the week)

Day 7 with a guided tour of Zaragoza city centre coming soon!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Top stuff, sounds like a great multi-cultural experience. Good on you for jumping in! :)

sandgrown

Mega Poster
Worth noting that security at Atocha is due to the worst terrorist attack to ever happen in Europe there in 2004. 192 dead and thousands injured. They did decide to stick everyone's bags through a scanner after that.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Worth noting that security at Atocha is due to the worst terrorist attack to ever happen in Europe there in 2004. 192 dead and thousands injured. They did decide to stick everyone's bags through a scanner after that.

Ah, Makes sense. Hopefully my full water bottle I left behind didn't cause an "unattended baggage" scare then!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 7 – Zaragoza City Centre (3/7/18)

(Disclaimer: This trip was almost 6 months ago now. Any “facts” I state from here on in will be worth double checking elsewhere before quoting to anyone)

Day started with visit to Aljaferia Palace in Zaragoza city centre. Can’t remember any exact dates but place was initially built when this are of Spain was under Muslim occupation and has been extended numerous times over the years.

5y6qEvJ.jpg

(group photo outside the front)

eEpOrYp.jpg

g9Lc0sv.jpg

YVf3rxm.jpg

slBYneS.jpg

Almost had a potential issue on entrance to the palace. As I was planning to finish the picnic food from the night before that evening, I borrowed a butter knife from the breakfast bar just so I had something to spread butter with that evening. This meant I had an actual knife on me walking through metal detectors….. Luckily they didn’t pick it up and day continued normally. (Knife stayed in bag all day and was returned to breakfast bar without any issues. With all the knife crime issues around, although it was only a butter knife, it still felt wrong to have this knife in my bag all day…)

The organisers of ISWZ had organised a guided tour of the palace which started in the Muslim-built section. Was all very nicely built with the same architecture stylings expected from Muslim-built buildings of the era with a lot of marble in arches and flooring.

t7tIVEj.jpg

camHCUG.jpg

(Wooden floor section used to be a swimming pool. Covered over permanently for health and safety reasons)

BzS5DY3.jpg

LrG608F.jpg

(Girl in Ed Sheeran shirt is Irish and goes to uni in Galway. Quite lucky I don’t know the lyrics to that certain song…)

EypidVp.jpg

(Small Mosque area within palace)

HQiKr5K.jpg

RqvSXwK.jpg

XJCgkEn.jpg

(Well within palace. Path shown was secret pathway but can’t remember significance)

Built above the Muslim section of the palace is the Christian-Built section, built after Muslim rule ended. Was purposely built on top of Muslim section in show of power over old Muslim rulers. Architecture now very similar to the manor houses in the UK with some very intricate ceilings.

7VeISCa.jpg

TpL6UX6.jpg

(Picture of picture of design on ceilings beams in previous photo, did try for a zoomed in shot of roof but came out terribly)

BcBITQ6.jpg

rlSYjZW.jpg

vTUcFGh.jpg

oIWCFva.jpg

82AEt4y.jpg

y1QVQ7R.jpg

PBLObue.jpg

1NSJIcM.jpg

Back downstairs, there was a small museum area full of parts of the building they were unable to restore in situ.

noDN3rj.jpg

(View back across courtyard to the swimming pool/mosque area shown earlier, quite clearly showing more modern Christian palace directly above Muslim palace)

BwH447R.jpg

yuhVEVk.jpg

CxWjlzL.jpg

CxWjlzL.jpg

93YTVRy.jpg

Only half the palace is open to the public usually as the building is still used as the local seat of government and holds the parliament chamber for the Aragon area of Spain. This means there are quite a few government buildings towards the back of the palace closed off to the public and the high security mentioned earlier. We were allowed into the parliament chamber briefly though:

46xmLC3.jpg

yzxJw4I.jpg

Next up was a guided walking tour of the city centre. Tour started a short walk away from Aljaferia palace so took some photos on route:

gx8X5FK.jpg

PLRhiel.jpg

cDVqX5z.jpg

Tour started outside this tower.

QbU2PSa.jpg

(Can’t remember significance but think it was part of original city walls. Possibly dates from Muslim occupation of area)

Me4sOWL.jpg

(Statue of Julius Ceasar. Initial foundations for Zaragoza date from Roman times and wall in left of photo is one of few remnants of original roman city walls. On right is central market of Zaragoza, under renovation at time of visit)

jgJ0lgA.jpg

(Better photo of central market)

4qwvfzm.jpg

(Group photo! I’m stood behind Tour guide in Ipswich shirt, quite a few group shots were taken that day)

ukA0BT7.jpg

ctXixV7.jpg

sCXkk5z.jpg

(One of many churches in Zaragoza (Chuch of Saint Isabel of Portugal according to Google Maps. Believe this one is significant as some sort of miracle supposedly happened here, is the end of an Easter parade celebrating this miracle. Think it was something to do with Mary appearing to someone but unsure)

ngOwS1r.jpg

(Local dog jumped into nearby fountain. Wouldn’t have minded joining it in the Spanish heat that day…)

Tour moved on through the city centre to the main cathedral in the city (Basilica de Nuestra Senora del Pilar). This place was huge and had some fantastic detailing inside. Highly recommend a visit to anyone in the area. Unfortunately, there were no photos allowed inside so only got outside shots:

EVviVSB.jpg

2QZSI9Q.jpg

lzZcOEu.jpg

xwO6UNH.jpg

kImCkjd.jpg

(Another group photo)

Tour moved on towards the other cathedral in the city. Believe Zaragoza is the only city with 2 Catholic Cathedrals consecrated by the Pope!

RI2bXDx.jpg

(Nearby clock tower, in direction of other cathedral)

jQ5ejYa.jpg

(another church style building in opposite direction, not sure what it actually was)

sZhPoZb.jpg

(City Hall)

pafCXlL.jpg

(Goya statue (Famous artist who lived and worked in Zaragoza))

0Ct9HgC.jpg

(Clock tower again)

Hm8XVdD.jpg

(Can’t remember name of this building but all around the top of it are various small statues representative of all people and trades living and working in Zaragoza at the time. This doesn’t show in the photo but all statues are facing forward out from the building except one. This statue is said to the local prostitute at the time....)

lGKbKx0.jpg

(Can’t remember when during the tour this group photo was taken so inserting it here. I wonder where I am in this photo, not exactly clear :p)

Just around the corner from the statue building was this horse statue. Built in honour of a photographer who apparently worked this spot every day for ~70 years. Apparently, he was known for using a horse model to keep the attention of the children in the photo, hence the horse statue:

sicuZs3.jpg

44Ej4Wo.jpg

(Group photo around the statue)

Tour continued round to the 2nd Cathedral. Like Aljaferia, believe this has had a complex history of religions with both Muslims and Christians building and using this building as a place of worship. This means a lot of architectural influences from both cultures are evident on the building. Think this time it was initially Christian then Muslim before back to Christian but unsure. Unfortunately couldn’t go in due to time constraints and refurbishment work:

MC8M4e7.jpg

(close up of clock tower shown earlier)

Tv62z1Z.jpg

NTqMWVj.jpg

(Some of the Muslim design influences on the building)

0qyr8HL.jpg

(Transition between both architectural styles on this tower)

1EAb2ST.jpg

This was the official end of the guided tour but on way back through the city centre, we passed this fountain. There is additional significance to it but is designed to look like South America.

XpS7o7r.jpg

EO6KR5N.jpg

mZ6ZlGW.jpg

(Basilica de Nuestra Senora del Pilar again from a different angle)

Took a tram over to the 2nd campus of the uni for lunch and an afternoon tour of the research facilities there. Interestingly (for the train geeks on here), the trams here run off both overhead wires and batteries. Wires on the outskirts of the city and runs off the batteries in the city centre. Certainly saves any planning permission issues with the wires running through the historic city centre.

The research lab tours involved viewing the Transmission Electron Microscopes (TEM) and Scanning Electron Microscope (SEM) facilities on site. Both machines are used to help image molecules to view their molecular properties. Being a chemist interested in Spectroscopy and Microscopy techniques, this was interesting to me but did get tiring and had a bit of information overload, especially after the 2 guided tours that morning!

bE3MPms.jpg

(The outside of the TEM)

LR52POq.jpg

(Inside the TEM with the researcher head in the way)

VUa6JM3.jpg

(SEM)

Once tours were over for the day, I headed back to the residence and took my chance for a brief swim in the pool. As mentioned earlier, I finished the picnic food I had for an evening meal and successfully returned the knife without any issues.

Day 8 and more uni tours coming soon (+ a cred!)

(In case I never get round to finishing writing this, I have uploaded and organised all the photos from this trip to Imgur. Link is below, let me know if it doesn’t work: https://thekingin64.imgur.com/)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 8 – More University Tours + Puerto Venecia (4/7/18)

Day started with a tour of the Catalytic Chemistry section of the university which involved a short interactive quiz on some chemistry basics. Being a Chemistry student at a uni specialising in Catalytic Chemistry, this quiz was easy for me and I guided my team to an easy victory! On the way out, I spied a research wall poster had referenced one of my lecturers!

Pz6ilf7.jpg

This was followed up by a tour of the Environmental Chemistry department. While certain areas of Environmental Chemistrry can be interesting to me, this was literally just a Geology talk about various rocks found in the local area. While enthusiastic, the woman giving the talk wasn’t exactly interesting and I tuned out to most of the talk. Still took some photos of some of the rocks on show though:

dOLNqkS.jpg

a50CH1M.jpg

Lunch break followed and I joined the group breaking off from the main group in order to get an ice cream from a local café. Can’t remember the flavour or name of the ice cream parlour we went to, I just remember it being lovely.

GQS5HJX.jpg

(Entrance into university campus)

After lunch, there was a highly interesting talk from someone who had been on a research trip to Antarctica. This involved details into the Neutrino-based science performed as well as details of daily life on Antarctica. All very interesting and makes me want to go!

This talk took up the whole afternoon so there were no timetabled activities afterwards so me and most of the group travelled out to the out-of-town shopping centre. Usually, I wouldn’t be interested in a shopping trip of this style but prior research led me to know that a cred existed there! This shopping centre was all mostly outdoors centred around a man-made lake. Was all very nice and much nicer than any shopping centre I’ve been to in the UK.

7lYKVaW.jpg

JpO2CTb.jpg

6ap0vJn.jpg

I5UJXhK.jpg

(Group photo around unicorn thing)

As everyone had different plans and different shops they wanted to visit, the group split up the arrangements to meet up again after an hour or so. This meant I took my chance to go cred running! The coaster was located with an indoor FEC within the leisure/food court area of the centre and took me a while to find. Once in, the place was dead and I had to ask a member of staff to open the coaster for me. Didn’t take any photos myself so RCDB photos will suffice here:

https://rcdb.com/11037.htm

Coaster was very average as anticipated but was worth riding, especially since my tall stature made it especially interesting with how close the ride gets to the roof! Also, I had to congratulate the staff member who opened the ride for me since she tried her best to tell me the health and safety instructions in English but apologised for her bad English. In my opinion, her English was fantastic, I understood everything and was miles better than my Spanish ever will be!

After cred running, I had a look around the rest of the centre and found there was a family of ducklings living in the lake! I also discovered (at the time) Toys R Us was still open after all British stores had shut. Of course, this meant I went in and had a look around.

hBxVbuJ.jpg

4M6k3BH.jpg

Se3yPgx.jpg

gircmXA.jpg

FnYrLLM.jpg

(New Jumanji film playing on some of the instore TVs in one of the shops, even now still haven’t seen that film)

olQ7iNJ.jpg

jBdMWF2.jpg

VKoe2qz.jpg

(Spanish Children’s version of the Ticket to Ride board game! Love the standard version and didn’t realise till then a children’s version existed! Have since seen a similar Childrens version for sale in UK with American map rather than the European map here)

After the group met back up, 9 of us decided to head back into the city centre for food. This led to over an hour and a half of faff as we tried to find a restaurant that would fit all 9 of us and everyone liked! It was gone 9pm once we found somewhere, by which point half the group had left to head back to the residence themselves! Although at the time I was only happy to finally get food, the restaurant was lovely.

This unplanned faff did allow for some more photos of city centre to be taken though:

zaKmK4v.jpg

Fy0TWH3.jpg

oVMB5mk.jpg

r7UFp4Y.jpg

auXc3KV.jpg

DriP8dl.jpg

NQU9rE1.jpg

(This café is relatively famous for being the central location for a film based in and films around Zaragoza. Would have eaten here but it was packed. Film is Our Lovers and is available on Netflix if anyone is interested (all in Spanish but subtitled))

LymPT8p.jpg

2Mqlm7L.jpg

G942tkc.jpg

After food, I headed straight back to the residence and got an early night for a long day the next day.

(Although I didn’t realise at the time, it was that evening a very good friend of mine got engaged and decided on me as best man! Did get a call but I’d missed it and didn’t want to call back in case of any roaming charges. Was told first thing when I next saw him in person though! (Wedding not till this upcoming August))

Next up: Pyrenees excursion!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 9 – Pyrenees Excursion + LSC (5/7/18)

WARNING – Photo Heavy

Had early start to this day as had long coach journey to the Pyrenees to enjoy. As the coach approached the Pyrenees, we passed through some fantastic scenery which only got better as the journey went on.

EIGVhjA.jpg

L42KU9Z.jpg

X5Cfums.jpg

0QMczpT.jpg

Jt2ejJI.jpg

RH74s8O.jpg

bwIu4fi.jpg

oaA95Bv.jpg

XqmevID.jpg

drbidre.jpg

Once in Canfranc, the coach dropped us off outside the railway station and we walked the short distance to the offices of the Laboratorio Subterraneo Canfranc (LSC). This is an underground laboratory based in an old railway tunnel linking Spain and France and focuses on detection and analysis of cosmic rays.

ZxGD8zq.jpg

(Canfranc railway station, shall come back to this later as it has quite the history)

3BX29SI.jpg

QI2DnWC.jpg

WLBwQKw.jpg

After a short briefing in the LSC offices, it was back to the coach to enter the lab. Health and safety meant we had to wear high vis jackets for this section.

vMyaUKH.jpg

TleeEeJ.jpg

Walking back to the coach, I got some more photos of the station. For those of you wondering why it is such a huge building for a tiny town in the middle of the Pyrenees, the station was built as a massive cross-border transport hub between France and Spain. Due to the different track gauges used by France and Spain, all trains passing through Canfranc had to be transhipped between rolling stock. This caused the need to have a massive station here in order to deal with the logistics involved. Unfortunately, the station never saw the intended passenger levels and didn’t survive that long with the link to France severed after a bridge on the French side collapsed and was never rebuilt. I believe the station has seen more visitors now as a semi-derelict tourist attraction than it ever did as an operating railway station! (All this explained in more detail here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canfranc_International_railway_station). The closure of the railway tunnel which this French line would have passed through is now where the LSC is located!

nObRhGb.jpg

84lSgQu.jpg

6HsuXzs.jpg

kzI961r.jpg

MvE6qos.jpg

o7DWpzB.jpg

The main vehicular and visitor entrance to the LSC was through the adjacent cross-border road tunnel. This meant leaving the coach while still inside the tunnel, unique experience for me as have never had to get out into a road tunnel!

jmSVH6u.jpg

4Jt5oDu.jpg

To avoid pollution from entering the clean environment within the LSC, we had to enter via a massive sci-fi style airlock: (Photos not great quality for a while due to phone not liking the underground lighting)

ZeIJGKf.jpg

PKzyvL8.jpg

9hzZrfn.jpg

(group photo taken within airlock)

YHMTVW9.jpg

(within the old railway tunnel, looking towards France)

vg5MjBJ.jpg

(within the old railway tunnel, looking towards Spain)

W9GaNMq.jpg

TgCXF3w.jpg

(photo of me taking a photo!)

QcM4MME.jpg

(group photo entering the lab itself)

Hbbn069.jpg

(Map of lab in relation to adjacent road and rail tunnels)

The lab itself. Can’t remember what most of the equipment does though.

uXWC343.jpg

xTraOIi.jpg

bNa9WeG.jpg

LiAaRfa.jpg

(Van parked in area between road and rail tunnels)

Various group photos were taken within the lab itself:

r5HYHgV.jpg

0EFePug.jpg

LnbUPQo.jpg

Overall, it was a very interesting place and am glad I was able to visit. As what they were doing there was more Physics than anything, the topics of research didn’t particularly interest me but the location did.

On leaving, the coach had to leave via the French portal so had a very brief visit to France!

CMcfojR.jpg

nx3SzZH.jpg

qTqbdRb.jpg

Lunch was had in a restaurant in central Canfranc so took the opportunity to take more shots of the station and surrounding areas. Since that day I was wearing my Icon jumper, I’m fairly sure a photo exists of me leaning against the station railings, clearly showing the Icon logo on my back. Wish I had saved a copy of it as now can’t find it.

DicDrve.jpg

GF62kZz.jpg

LmhBw3W.jpg

1zWDZB4.jpg

FdPXqRO.jpg

(attempt at selfie with station building)

After lunch, it was back on the coach to head further into the Pyrenees. This ended at a site around 800m directly above the LSC for a Geology talk. This meant we were right on the actual French border and the coach actually parked in France!

b6ez6Sk.jpg

kX5L2nb.jpg

(Bad attempt of selfie with France border sign)

WH53WvC.jpg

(Group photo with France border sign)

5M7dKKJ.jpg

(old border crossing buildings)

7X1sXpa.jpg

e6MRMFl.jpg

5rhL8ui.jpg

(better attempt at selfie with Spain border sign)

w4wfjwy.jpg

(Group photo of Geology talk)

Geology talk was initially interesting but was long so I got bored and wandered off to take more photos. Did see a wild lizard during the talk but was unable to get a photo.

MCbtttm.jpg

PkU47x4.jpg

(the piece of rock the talk was about)

DkTqrUS.jpg

tS8Zzs1.jpg

MZ7cNk4.jpg

(The “interesting” cliff face again)

Only when we were getting back on the coach did anyone notice there had been a branch stuck to the roof of the coach all day!

h1mK5Fh.jpg

The drive back to Zaragoza involved stops at numerous beauty spots so many more photos were taken!

W9eSBSa.jpg

gPxkALy.jpg

AbUoEWP.jpg

SWLuBFp.jpg

Rvp9Dum.jpg

MvilRjN.jpg

yqWF7BI.jpg

39rJ6OE.jpg

This next rock formation was again supposedly geologically interesting and apparently very popular with rock climbers. Looks nice but I missed most of the talk on it as was bursting for the loo since there wasn’t any public loos all afternoon and the heat meant I was drinking a lot of water. Luckily, found a small cave tucked away from the group and the road. Leaving that cave was probably the most relieved I’ve ever felt! Could actually enjoy the rest of the trip home!

T8GHFZQ.jpg

TWHsz28.jpg

FQ3lvXC.jpg

VRg4wyv.jpg

LDi6bhN.jpg

(Map explaining the geological sites of interest nearby. Believe this rock face is the bottom most one (Murillo de Gallego))

After this stop, the coach headed straight back to Zaragoza, allowing most of the group to prepare for the “elaborate bar crawl” that is the €2 tapas + beer offers that most Zaragoza city centre bars put on of a Thursday Evening. All bars were packed but was worth it for the authentic experience of Spanish Tapas and culture. The evening showed the informal nature of the whole ISWZ week as not only did one of the organisers join us for the evening, he even bought rounds for us and we bought him rounds! Was only the local lager (Ambar) as part of the €2 offer but was enjoyable enough to drink, especially for someone like me who doesn’t usually like lager.

This ended up being a late night and I broke from the group soon around 1am to get a taxi back to the residence.

Day 10 and the end of ISWZ coming soon!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 10 – Final day of ISWZ

Morning was spent with yet more tours of the research departments within the uni. I opted for the Catalytic Chemistry and something about wine (Can’t remember name of actual department and forgot to note it down).

Catalytic Chemistry department was very interesting as involved a researcher going about her daily lab activities, just as if she didn’t have us watching over her. For the chemists amongst us, she was working on a redox reaction producing an NHC catalyst that day which I got to watch being produced.

The wine talk that followed wasn’t as interesting and involved the lead researcher just talking about their numerous gas chromatography machines without really showing us anything. Would have happily stayed in the catalytic department for longer, rather than this section.

Over lunch, I spotted another wild lizard and actually got a photo this time! (Is very well camouflaged to the paving slabs)

xxUyxxF.jpg

After lunch was the official closing ceremony of the ISWZ week. This involved numerous Thank You speeches off the organisers and the giving out of attendance certificates to everyone:

Q5FAoLi.jpg

(Feel this is a good place to leave the official website of ISWZ. Feel free to have a look for any additional details I may have missed: https://eventos.unizar.es/19400/detail/ii-international-science-week-in-zaragoza.html)

Since the closing ceremony was relatively brief, we were left with most of the afternoon free. I joined the group heading back to the city centre towards the Basilica de Nuestra Senora del Pilar. Although we visited the cathedral itself on the city centre walking tour, we didn’t have time to go up the tower so took our chance now:

33ASK0W.jpg

hY76EWg.jpg

9CMRFmx.jpg

QgUz1A3.jpg

CLJxYX9.jpg

G7WE94U.jpg

ZQmzIkL.jpg

zvDly6q.jpg

dJNYqqm.jpg

DfP7U1s.jpg

M3U8fj5.jpg

SPZNE6H.jpg

nMd9Mff.jpg

NWKddrK.jpg

Afterwards, we all headed back to the residence in order to pack for leaving the next day. I took my chance for a final swim in the pool. Unsure if have previously posted photos of the pool here but shall post these ones I took that evening anyway:

m4tTUTR.jpg

nt7kAO9.jpg

4uvZw4e.jpg

Up next: Roman remains and more creds! (aka the whole reason you guys read these reports…)

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Day 11 – Roman Remains + Parque de Attraciones de Zaragoza (7/7/18)

WARNING – NEXT FEW DAYS VERY PHOTO HEAVY

Day was initially planned for just Parque de Attraciones de Zaragoza before getting train to Barcelona that evening. During the ISWZ, I was told of the existence of an old Roman amphitheatre within Zaragoza city centre so modified my plans a bit to include a visit. After saying final goodbyes to everyone, I took the bus into town by myself to the Amphitheatre. As it was still relatively early, I was one the first visitors there!

Left my bag in a locker at entrance and went for a wander through the museum section first. Was very informative about the remains and had numerous artefacts displayed. Parts of the museum building were built above the remains!

IZrbSB9.jpg

AM7ulAt.jpg

DZltFmz.jpg

N70SkqP.jpg

whGE2Qz.jpg

KNhd6tk.jpg

37EXG2A.jpg

How the Amphitheatre should have looked:
Ifc4sT2.jpg

XM7Cm4H.jpg

57EyCEs.jpg

After viewing the museum, I ventured outside into the Amphitheatre remains themselves. Whether they were meant to be there or not, there were numerous stray cats wandering the remains so photographed them as well. Unfortunately, they weren’t friendly enough to pet…

8oS1mxG.jpg

y07OJk8.jpg

9fTRAHi.jpg

(Can clearly see here how close the city buildings are to these remains. I believe these remains were covered by buildings themselves for years before they were discovered during redevelopment of the immediate area)

37FpjK3.jpg

AlU6Oq8.jpg

VHAe6X3.jpg

9e480cq.jpg

Vt8rQ1d.jpg

1870Kqr.jpg

(What would have been part of the audience seating)

2GhPiwI.jpg

(Audience + stage)

1iBiRnX.jpg

FK8EnAO.jpg

lmHzvd8.jpg

vc6v5re.jpg

gzKlJpX.jpg

(How it would have looked)

zg1nm3h.jpg

(How it looks now, from roughly the same angle)

4ecCIKo.jpg

hC8j93P.jpg

j1JLFcl.jpg

mvPh4J5.jpg

SGwQU88.jpg

RbxoBbf.jpg

e4TMbSp.jpg

uqS4qew.jpg

Sjx2jOH.jpg

V2W3cPV.jpg

(overview of whole place)

At this point, time was getting on and cred anxiety was setting in. I grabbed my bag from the locker and hopped back on the bus out towards Parque de Attraciones to Zaragoza. Directly outside the park entrance was this memorial/statue thing. Didn’t have time to investigate so only took the one photo before heading into the park:

ECfs5ls.jpg

RU3TEaz.jpg

lm0JNMq.jpg

UAxXniv.jpg

On entrance, park felt slightly sketchy and evidently hadn’t been refurbished in a good while. This was a recurring theme throughout the park but it just reminded me of the British seaside locations I frequent. Again left my bag in a locker near the entrance and headed in properly. Although it was a summer Saturday, park was dead and all rides (but 2) were either walk-on or a one train wait.

As the first coaster I did would be my 150th, I was initially aiming for the unique Rameses to be the Milestone but copped out and rode the first coaster I came across, Moncayo. Although built by a local Spanish company, it had the same layout as any Zyklon and rode in about the same fashion as well with no significant differences.

vXO3zJZ.jpg

While on Moncayo, I noticed Rameses just around the corner so went straight over. While still being fun, this ride is the definition of being unique doesn’t necessarily mean being interesting. It is simply a shuttle and is easily replicated in many other rides. The initial climb is surprisingly steep though, especially if sat facing backwards.

Jo4lziJ.jpg

AAQI3dS.jpg

XKpw9Pu.jpg

With the 2 main coasters done and plenty of time left, I rode the log flume next door to Rameses. While it is just the standard travelling log flume layout, it was refreshing in the Spanish heat.

vkxOe1c.jpg

rz3dQQg.jpg

v9K6XFW.jpg

On trying to search for the remaining coaster, I went for a wander round the park, riding whatever I fancied. Since the park was dead, this meant riding almost everything the park had to offer.

e0UveVZ.jpg

(The Olympic sized swimming pool on offer. Did have free entry with my unlimited ride wristband but focussed on the rides, even though I did have my swimming kit in my bag)

9jW6XMK.jpg

509mupk.jpg

(Indoor children’s boat ride thing imaged from top of nearby indoor fun house thing. Both rides were crap and told me that this park seems to think just switching all lights off seems to count as “theming”. At least the boat ride had something to look at rather than the dark walls of the “fun house”)

xr392LH.jpg

(Ghost train – seem to remember it being ok-ish)

YyOWQFo.jpg

bNL8Bc9.jpg

fnUVnex.jpg

(Central Big Wheel. Think it’s one of the original rides as felt old and is one the park’s logo. Good view from top but no photos)

fHdfFaM.jpg

(small petting zoo area)

fIVIiR0.jpg

FekpCsW.jpg

2ZZJYN5.jpg

Around this point, I did ride the 3rd coaster (Mina) which was the standard Zamperla family coaster that has popped up everywhere recently. Once again, no ride op was visible so had to ask a nearby ride op to open up the coaster for me! I also rode the nearby drop tower as well. While not amazingly forceful, launch must have been too powerful for the short tower size as it felt like it bounced off the top, giving huge sudden ejector!

Also went for a ride on their Star flyer. Not the tallest ride in the ride but was quite disconcerting when a maintenance person was checking over the ride while I was on it! Everything was fine though.

After lunch, the late opening time of the rapids finally ticked round so made my way over. This is obviously the most permanent ride at the park and must cost a bomb in operating costs over everything else in the park, hence the limited opening hours. As I got there early, there wasn’t much of a queue but most of the park must have followed me as a queue had built by the time I got off.

YjkCCDE.jpg

BIETPiZ.jpg

ztb1A2e.jpg

txMzPFc.jpg

As with everything else in this park, this had only 1 ride op working on it. Given the large safety crackdown on all UK rapids recently, this was a surprise for me but was unfazed. Just shows the limited budget of the park if all rides were one-man ops with a couple of major rides having to share ride ops with the ride next door.

Running out of things to do, I rode the scenic train and boat ride around the lake near Rameses. While I was the only one on the train, the boat ride had a sizable, slow queue. The 2 rides followed virtually the same path so got numerous photos of the train from the boat.

HbR7KMo.jpg

KHpuVu0.jpg

ZfO7fcw.jpg

SNdk9Lp.jpg

LHop5V8.jpg

JuR0Nf7.jpg

jg8LyyI.jpg

gguYVEj.jpg

OXJAaNA.jpg

Fhl4OwT.jpg

Eze3JBX.jpg

F3ZDJfX.jpg

Noticing the Top Spin had finally opened, I went over and got a couple rides in. After noticing a few slight differences to the standard Huss model (including comfier restraints and quieter brakes), I was intrigued by the manufacturer. Turns out it’s the same local manufacturer as Moncayo!

KCZvBxT.jpg

Since this is a small Spanish manufacturer using the designs of 2 much larger, more well-known manufacturers, does this make these rides a Knock-Off (like Golden Horse)? If so, surprised to see existence of such companies so close to home! (As mentioned, both rode fine)

After a few re-rides on Moncayo, Rameses and the 2 water rides, I left the park in order to get back to the train station for evening train to Barcelona.

Overall Park thoughts: Obviously living on a very limited budget and trying their best with it. Would only return if there are major additions made to the park but no chance of any major additions any time soon and wouldn’t be surprised if it has to close from lack of profitability. Having most rides walk-on on a summer Saturday is never good news…. Park is very easy to get to though being on the Zaragoza bus network with direct bus from central Delicias train station and ample parking on site.

In analogy to the team itself, the badge on my trusty Ipswich shirt started to fall apart during that day (about the same time that it was announced Mick McCarthy was leaving). Badge has since completely fell apart…

QyMyCe1.jpg

Bus to the train station was smooth and got through “check in” fine:

lFjGpVO.jpg

KJDBryE.jpg

Train was smooth and uneventful. Was just as quick as the Madrid-Zaragoza train earlier in the week but darker skies meant I couldn’t watch the passing scenery speed by as much. Was also in standard class this time rather than first class I’d accidentally booked into previously.

After a brief transfer on Barcelona metro, I got my first glimpse into Barcelona’s famous architecture walking towards hotel. Will be seeing a lot of this over the next few days.

maDd6ni.jpg

Once at the hotel, I made use of the warm shower (after having no hot water in the Zaragoza residence) and crashed out for the night).

Overall thoughts on Zaragoza: Lovely city and will happily visit again. Much quieter and less touristy than the main Spanish cities. Would definitely not enjoyed it as much if it wasn’t for the ISWZ though as wouldn’t have given myself the time to relax and fully enjoy it like I did. Although the research department tours got repetitive, I still cannot recommend the ISWZ enough and urge anyone who has the opportunity to apply for it!

Up next: Park Güell and Tibidabo

(Pre-Warning - The next 2 days will be very photo heavy as I packed a lot in and Barcelona is a very picturesque place. Have 462 and 512 photos respectively to sort out and show you guys. If I could get some replies here so that my next updates are on the next page to save people’s bandwidth on loading copious volumes of photos, I’m sure the mods will be grateful)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Minor observation - is that the same Ipswich shirt from the other pictures, or did you just bring a few with you? :p

Also - consider the posts broken up. This sure is a comprehensive report!

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Minor observation - is that the same Ipswich shirt from the other pictures, or did you just bring a few with you? :p

Also - consider the posts broken up. This sure is a comprehensive report!

I will admit it is the same shirt... Didn't take enough shirts with me so had to stretch it out a bit, wasn't happy about it myself at the time either. Have since learnt from my mistakes though.

May try breaking the reports up a bit with Day 12 handily being in the 2 halves, as usual not sure when my busy schedule will allow for me to actually get it written though. Once this report is done, I have my America trip from last summer to talk about as well! (May not bother though, don't want to be still writing these reports while on my next big summer trip! :p)

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
This might be the latest I've seen a report published following a trip, too! :p