What's new

Space World Japan To Close In December 2017

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
Sad news as Space World in Japan announces it will close in December 2017

The theme park "Space World" located in Higashida district of Yahata Higashi-ku, Kitakyushu city, was closed on the end of December 2017, it was learned at the interview of the West Japan newspaper on the 16th.Management difficulty seems to be the reason.The garden announces it on the homepage even the same afternoon. Opened in 1990 as an idle land of the Nippon Steel Yawata Ironworks (now · Nippon Steel Sumikin Yawata Iron Works), which was one of the theme parks representing Kyushu, the curtain closes for more than a quarter century from the start of business It will be.

According to officials, the zoo completed explanation to employees on the 15th.

Space world which opened on April 22, 1990 in the rain

Half of all regular employees who had over 100 people
 With a total area of 240 thousand square meters Yahoo! Ou Dome (Fukuoka city) Three or more zoo gardens will spend about 30 billion yen, opening as a leisure facility on the theme of the universe on April 22, 1990. Large attractions called "space science learning facilities" and "screaming machines" gained popularity, and in 1997 at the peak time, the number of visitors of 2.16 million people per year was recorded. An adult ceremony in Kitakyushu City was also held since 1998.

After that, due to intensified competition with other theme parks, customers gradually passed away, and Nippon Steel of the parent company applied for application of the civil rehabilitation law in May 2005. In July of that year, we transferred the business to Kamiomori tourism (Sapporo city), and the company has continued to operate.

In the spring of 2008, Kamori tourism lowers annual free pass of 10 4700 yen for adults by 5,000 yen or more. In order to drastically improve the profit structure, we cut all regular employees who had over 100 people in half at once. We have been preparing a series of nearly 2 billion yen over the winter ice rink and pool in the summer to improve the ability to attract customers. The number of visitors in fiscal year 12 was approximately 1.64 million. In recent years the number of visitors has not been disclosed.

In November this year, criticism such as "cruel" etc on the Internet plans to skate the skate link which made 5000 fish and so on ice picked up to the visitors was stopped one after another.

The company says "I would like to refrain from answering now".

= 2016/12/16 Nishi Nippon Shimbun Evening =

More here (In Japanese)
http://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20161216-00010009-nishinp-soci

I've suspected this has been coming for a while after it was mentioned to me Zaturn and Venus were put up for sale earlier this year. Hopefully they can find new homes.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm thinking of going to Japan at Easter, flying into Fukuoka, but was going to skip Space World since Zaturn is the only thing new since I went. I might reconsider.

davidm

Strata Poster
Shame, place wasn't awful by any means - but it was empty when I went (that was 2008).
Guess the dead-fish-in-the-skating-rink PR disaster has not helped much.

And I was spited by by the big Arrow :(

S

SimonSays99

Sadly one park less for my trip next year - and was eager to ride the Maurer looper.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
By all accounts, the place was never busy. I'm surprised it lasted this long.

The Intamin will defo find a home, and possibly the Maurer looper, but the rest of the creds are most likely doomed.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Yeah, I've got a bit of a soft spot for it since it was my first Asian park outside Seoul, and the first I made a specific effort for as an enthusiast after joining up on here shortly before.

Zaturn should be ok. It's not very old and sits on a patch of flat land, so could be set up somewhere else. No idea where though. Japanese parks aren't doing much and China generally doesn't go second hand. Vietnam? Of course there's no reason it couldn't go outside Asia.

Venus? Hmmmmm. 20 years old now. It'll be a harder sell.

The rest is scrap.

Last edited:

Ben

CF Legend
Not surprised, there was no one there and it was an absolute hole.

Hopefully they spite all the creds **** you alllll <3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just thought actually. Didn't Titan get new trains fairly recently? S&S I think? I think the coaster's going to scrap, but buying the trains could be a good idea for one of the other Arrow hypers. I've got no idea what kind of state the older Arrow trains are in on the other coasters, so no idea of the actual need for replacement, but it would seem daft for those parks to not at least look into it, even if it's to keep them for a later date.

Ben

CF Legend
The trains on Titan are the absolute worst, they need to be confined to the dustbin of history.

Like they're so plasticky and crap they'd ruin any hyper they were put on. Titan was absolute ****e, I'm glad they're scrapping it so the Arrow Hyper collection is excluse <3

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
I liked Titan. It was with the old trains though. Really annoyed that I don't have Desperado for the full collecsh, despite having been to Las Vegas.

CoasterNate99

Roller Poster
Sad news. Hopefully they find a place for Zaturn and possibly the Maurer looper. I'm placing my bets on Titan getting scrapped, but maybe the trains will be sent somewhere.

It's very interesting that we will see both Kanonen and Zaturn on the market after next year. Hopefully some parks look into these Intamin Accelerators.

TilenB

Strata Poster
It's very interesting that we will see both Kanonen and Zaturn on the market after next year. Hopefully some parks look into these Intamin Accelerators

Technically, they are already on the market, along with the Maurer/Schwarzkopf looper. I can hardly see the coaster as big as Titan being relocated and the other 3 creds they have there are pretty much worthless, so I guess they are going to the scrapyard (unless some local park picks them up).

So happy that this will be fairly excluse, but the park wasn't actual awful, especially when compared to the absolute dives like Himeji. I actually have a slight soft spot for it because Venus was in a calendar I had as a new and budding twelve year old enthusiast and it was my favourite page of the calendar :p Funny the things we remember from long ago! Some of the creds were decent (well, Venus and Zaturn, and the indoor thing was interesting) but I'm excited to see Titan get DEMOLISHED.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
With Space World due to close this year the park will hold an exhibition called "Space World The Final" in the Space Dome showing how the park has changed over 27 years.
http://www.spaceworld.co.jp/event/27ayumiten/
With that announcement here is a really interesting video of the park when it opened in 1990
The main star of this video is the song that plays for most of the video after about 1:30min it's amazing in its Japaneseness.
"Come to The Space... Come To The Space World"

S

SimonSays99

All their major rides are up for sale at fab.lu - together with Kanonen.

Happy to get some last rides there next month - and according to previous TRs a park that will not be overcrowded. So I hope to park myself for multiple laps on Venus GP :D

S

SimonSays99

Logically one cannot see rides any longer they already sold...