What's new

Sochi, Russia | Sochi Park | Theme Park/Olympic Park

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
It seems the Vekoma GIB is back with vengeance. After the ride unexpectedly showed up at Jin Jiang Action Park in China earlier this year it seems Vekoma have sold another model to the brand new Sochi Park in Russia. (Source: http://coastersandmore.de/rides/achterb ... 2012.shtml)

The park is being built for part of the 2014 Winter Olympics and is expected to open for the 2013 season and will feature 6 themed areas and a 35 rides. The official site is already online (although in limited form) and can be found here. http://sochi-park.ru

Below are a couple of concept and model images I’ve dug up from the web.

russia1.jpg

russia3.jpg

Source: http://vhcoasters.com/

It seems a little random that we went 9 years without a GIB and suddenly we have 2 more to play with. Not that I'm complaining. I think they are great rides.

Ben

CF Legend
Re: Russia to build new park and Vekoma GIB.

Vom the red model in the bottom left looks like it could be an El Loco </3

More GIBs in the World make me so happy though <3

Lofty

CF Legend

Ben said:
Vom the red model in the bottom left looks like it could be an El Loco </3

You can tell that's meant to be an El Loco? My, you are good, or is that just wishful thinking Benny Boy? ;)

STC

Mega Poster

I reasonably enjoyed the GIB I went on, however the throughputs were horrific. If that really is an El Loco, then that will be even worse.

It looks from that picture like this park might have a hotel/accommodation. They need MUCH higher throughput main coasters than these if that's true. Why would you buy an El Loco? Why not a Eurofighter?

peep

CF Legend

Why does Putin look so sad when he's looking at a model of a theme park?

Always cool to see more parks opening up. Isn't this the second new theme park to be announced for Russia now?

I also doubt that's a model of an El Loco. It's just a mess of track to show that a coaster will be in that location, I doubt the designs are fully finished yet so they've just created some random track with no idea of what type of coaster etc will be going there.

Ben

CF Legend

peep said:
Why does Putin look so sad when he's looking at a model of a theme park?

He's probably been told it's an El Loco <//3

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

Theres a new model now including the proposed winter olympics venues and F1 track

sochi1.jpg

sochi12.jpg

Yeah the coasters still look really unrealistic but the park is expected to get a GIB and a Mack Launched coaster.
They have also released a promo video which can be seen here

sochi11.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6Bj01UlJcw

And for a ton of pics of the venues, malls and F1 track check below

Source: http://vhcoasters.com/

CMonster

Giga Poster

UC said:
Who cares, they're models.

The builders probably know about as much about coaster layouts as we do about how accurate the tree types in the model are.

Not very accurate, as half the trees seem to be palms and this is in Russia. :p

nadroJ

CF Legend

It appears from the model that this is more of a complex than pure theme park? Like, if it does include a race track and the Winter Olympics stadium, then there will be a few large scale attractions to add to that?

Just a thought.

XYZ

Roller Poster

What the heck is that red coaster, that layout is very odd looking. It probably will look nothing like the actual coaster.

Smithy

Strata Poster

Not too keen on that F1 track, can't see many points a car will fit on there let alone aid overtaking [/KillingTheJoke]

Gazza

Giga Poster

Anyone else reckon the green and yellow coaster model in the background reminds them of Cheetah Hunts first element, times 100?

marc

CF Legend
Russia to build new park and Vekoma GIB.

I can never see this park happening tbh. It's dependant on the F1 track and that's looking like going on hold.

roomraider

Best Topic Starter

/\ Its not though as far as I've read? Russia already has the 2014 Winter Olympic Games and its being built as part of that. The F1 track is just incidental.

marc

CF Legend
Russia to build new park and Vekoma GIB.

Hearing mixed things after the whole Petrov being dropped stuff.

The track is linked to the same backers that the theme park is.

Will look into it more later but at the moment the whole project is meant to be on hold.

CMonster

Giga Poster

Gazza said:
Anyone else reckon the green and yellow coaster model in the background reminds them of Cheetah Hunts first element, times 100?

That was my first thought as well. :lol:

Tomatron

Giga Poster

It it's being built with money to show off Sochi, it'll fail just like Ferrari World is doing.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Re: Sochi Park Adventureland - Russia

^ Well that topic is old. And from now on we should have more updates etc...