What's new

Slash the VAT!?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
No offence, but when it comes to government finances, I've got much bigger priorities than VAT on something that, for most people, is used a couple of times a year.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
When the last Labour Government cut VAT, did theme parks reduce their prices accordingly?

*tumbleweed*

I'm all for lower taxes, what I'm not for is double standards.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Wot im more wurryed abowt is this VAT on pasty's an' that. Ow am i ment to feed me bairns if sausedge rowls is gunna go up at greggs?

Robbie

Hyper Poster
Ben said:
Oh no VAT on something is at... VAT prices.
Except... the Government have just reduced the VAT rate on Scottish ski attractions. If it was all a level playing field I wouldn't be so bothered.

Ben

CF Legend
Ooohhh, yes honey, because they're exactly the same thing.

Alton Towers will be empty now everyone is going to be skiing in Scotland!

Pierre

Strata Poster
Ian said:
When the last Labour Government cut VAT, did theme parks reduce their prices accordingly?

*tumbleweed*

I'm all for lower taxes, what I'm not for is double standards.

I think they did actually. I certainly remember Alton Towers did because of the daft amount of 'pence' at the end of the entrance fees at the time. It would have been more of a headache to amend all the NET costings accordingly so the GROSS cost was the same as the old VAT rate (and I'm not just talking the simple mathematics to reflect this).

That being said, I also agree with Gavin. VAT is supposed to be applied on 'luxury' items which tourist attractions definitely are so can't really see where the Blackpool Gazette are coming from with their 'deafening calls'?

Now, excuse me while I trot off to Scotland for a skiing session.