What's new

Six Flags to close 15 rides in the chain after 2020

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/qj70gb It's going down for a second time. Unlike last time, it's not going down gracefully. The first GIB to die. :(
EDIT: Apparently, they do that sometimes for maintenance, cutting the piece of track off, and it's apparently to remove the train. So possibly Goliath can live again...........hopefully without those ****ING TRAINS.
EDIT 2: Nope, there's catch car rail down in the station just lying on the ground apparently. Seems it's being harvested for parts and then knocked over. What a shame.

Last edited:

Rupert

Mega Poster
Not sure it could be any rougher even with the piece if rail removed 😛

Seriously though hope it stays, it’s a hell of an experience even with the rough trains. Also there’s no way they’d be that precise if it was being scrapped, or even relocated to be honest.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I found a list with a lot more rides on it apparently, and I've combined the 2:

SFStL: Superman Power of Tower, Moon Antique Cars, Go-Karts, Tidal Wave

SFDK: The Ark, Seaside Tours, Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster, Skycoaster, Tasmanian Devil

Great Escape: Giant Wheel

SFDL: Giant Wheel

SFA: ZoomAzon Falls

SFOG: Splashwater Falls, Sky Buckets

Frontier City: Tumbleweed

SFGAm: Crazy Bus

SFNE: Goliath?????

SFMM: Tidal Wave

That's 18 out of 15, however, so here's my guesses to the 15:

Superman Tower of Power, Moon Antique Cars, The Ark, Seaside Tours, Crazy Coaster, Skycoaster, Tasmanian Devil, Giant Wheel, Giant Wheel, ZoomAzon, Sky Buckets, Tumbleweed, Crazy Bus, Goliath, Tidal Wave.
New list, just found out Grizzly Run rapids at SFDL got axed in the 15.
Superman Tower of Power, Moon Antique Cars, The Ark, Seaside Tours, Crazy Coaster, Skycoaster, Tasmanian Devil, Giant Wheel, Giant Wheel, ZoomAzon, Sky Buckets, Tumbleweed, Grizzly Run, Goliath, Tidal Wave.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
As much as I would say "good riddance", I do think it's a shame for something that is operational and otherwise a functioning attraction to get damaged like that. Mother nature, and all that, but still a ton of wasted resources.

Fingers crossed they'll be able to recycle some of the steel into a proper coaster, though.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/qovyr8 Say goodbye to Tasmanian Devil, VooDoo and Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster. While VooDoo isn't related to the 15, Tasmanian Devil was actually about to reopen from maintenance when COVID hit, and HQCC was already confirmed to be one of the 15.

F. On a far more somber note, apparently Crazy Coaster isn't being scrapped. :(
Not being scrapped? Not being funny but who the **** would want to buy that torture device? John Kramer? Maybe Freddy Krueger?

Hutch

Strata Poster
I don't think that this is apart of the 15 rides removal, but reports have it that Fireball at SFNE is coming down;
Keep in mind that Fireball made headlines in June after a couple of trees fell on it during a storm, which damaged the ride to some extent and as far as I'm aware, it hasn't reopened since.
View attachment 14029
Late to respond to this, but I am so here for it. Rode it a few years ago and it was DREADFUL.

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
Someone in the comments of this post just dropped a bombshell:
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/qjsbmk
Throwawayaccountsfne2021:

Throwaway account due to NDA.
This ride has cost us close to 500k in repairs. It has never worked properly, even when it was at Six Flags Magic Mountain as Deja Vu. We received it around 2011 for construction and opened it in 2012.
These rides are all flawed. Vekoma has tried to make numerous repairs. They have significant problems and defects from the manufacturer. In fact, before they revised the seats on the train, you could actually reach up and touch the track while in motion.
We've had problems with the cables snapping, the motors stalling, the ride computer malfunctioning, braking problems causing the train to overshoot the station, etc. This ride was constantly down due to mechanical faults and was exhausting our resources in terms of labor and cost.
While it will be sad to see it go as a significant landmark, I will not miss this ride and the issues it caused for our team.
Don't worry, this will only make room for an even better ride in the future. We already have plans.
This clarifies the dude works for the park, and plans are already in existance for a new ride.........but the second post is the major bomb.
Throwawayaccountsfne2021:
The ride was purchased by either another one of our parks or a different company. I don't know the details, but it is not being scrapped.

Watch this coaster over the next few months. We'll see if the throwaway's message bears fruit.

nCalCoasterRider

Roller Poster
https://www.reddit.com/r/rollercoasters/comments/qovyr8 Say goodbye to Tasmanian Devil, VooDoo and Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster. While VooDoo isn't related to the 15, Tasmanian Devil was actually about to reopen from maintenance when COVID hit, and HQCC was already confirmed to be one of the 15.

F. On a far more somber note, apparently Crazy Coaster isn't being scrapped. :(
can confirm, all gone this weekend. Interestingly Seaside Tours was operating last fall after not operating for two years and The ark was running "full swing". Lots of land in the middle of the park right now between boomerang and the rafts.

nCalCoasterRider

Roller Poster
Single Rail/Justice League?
It would definitely fit something like RailBlazer but I don't know the height limit for that area. It could definitely fit Justice League, and that would be a huge upgrade for the park. The park's conditional use permit has 3 different height limits from 150 feet near the freeway 75 in the middle and 25 near the water. I don't have a map of what fits where. There is a big swath of land between kong and Boomerang that is also unused, with the show not running and Taz being removed (now that wonder woman is the big frisbee in town). I would expect something in both of these areas but I would expect the Taz area to be taller.

The area freed up by Harley Quinn is small and landlocked, not sure what else fits there.

It would definitely fit something like RailBlazer but I don't know the height limit for that area. It could definitely fit Justice League, and that would be a huge upgrade for the park. The park's conditional use permit has 3 different height limits from 150 feet near the freeway 75 in the middle and 25 near the water. I don't have a map of what fits where. There is a big swath of land between kong and Boomerang that is also unused, with the show not running and Taz being removed (now that wonder woman is the big frisbee in town). I would expect something in both of these areas but I would expect the Taz area to be taller.

The area freed up by Harley Quinn is small and landlocked, not sure what else fits there.

height limits are here in the Batman MND approval from Vallejo,Page 23:

height limit for all these areas is 100ft, so a raptor is definitely do-able. Interestingly most of the remaining land in the 150 foot area is maintenance areas and employee parking. they could feasibly put a coaster along the freeway side back there with a station near sidewinder safari if they wanted to bother spending money.