What's new

Six Flags Qiddiya| Saudi Arabia | Theme Park

Benenen

Hyper Poster
I don't think this will go ahead but if anywhere were to get a 500 foot tall lift hill coaster it's a park in the Middle East funded by insane investors. I know in a year or so this thread will be updated with a news article saying it's been cancelled but I'd love this to happen and to be able to add this park onto a Dubai trip.

Pear

Strata Poster
Oh okay then

Just thinking about the tallest, fastest, and longest coaster in the world being in goddamn Saudi Arabia is messing with my mind.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Your faith in out-there projects never ceases to amaze me Matt. ;)

I've fixed your post for a more down-to-earth viewpoint though...

Oh wow; that coaster would be obscene if it opens! It could have been the spark that starts an inferno of theme park development in Saudi Arabia!

As for a manufacturer, I'm going to guess Intamin based on the track in the video.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I know in a year or so this thread will be updated with a news article saying it's been cancelled but I'd love this to happen and to be able to add this park onto a Dubai trip.
Nah, in a year or so even more fancy renderings will have been put out, maybe even we'll see a local bigwig (his highness the prince sheik blablabla, Saudi Arabia has a few hundred of those) peering over a fairly detailed model of the park in some press release pictures to give an impression that the Saudi royal family is on board with the project. Then investors will put in money, blended by the promised visitor numbers (17 million by 2030! As if Riyadh will have twice as many international visits as Istanbul in just a decade - never mind how many of its international arrivals are pilgrims from less affluent countries!) and seemingly safe return on money.

Then expect a few years to pass without any news whatsoever. Two months before the supposed opening date, the visitor center will be the only structure standing on the site. A delay of two years will suddenly be announced, to try to deflect questions from investors who begin to wonder where their money went. By then, it will all have been spent on "consulting services" to a company owned by some shell company tracing back to some tax haven. Coincidentally, the lead developer of the park will be registering a new yacht in that same tax haven around the same time, and no longer be available for comment.

And then a news article will say it's been cancelled, if we hear anything at all. I'm following large construction projects with some interest, and a surprising number of them in Saudi Arabia and the UAE tend to end up in roughly the same way. Fancy render, fancy model, groundbreaking ceremony, maybe some ground work, then one day the site is abandoned and investors start asking where their money went, news article a few years later describing how the developer is going bankrupt and the head honcho is either abroad or in jail.

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
Oh wow; that coaster will be obscene when it opens! Hopefully it might be the spark that starts an inferno of theme park development in Saudi Arabia!

As for a manufacturer, I'm going to guess Intamin based on the track in the video.
Saudi Arabia is totally a fair country to all and totally isn't a religious based hierarchy which killed someone trying to expose the truth in Istanbul, developments in the middle East never seem right and to much money gets wasted into unfinished projects, I mean look at the world cup in Qatar its already a disgrace