What's new

Six Flags Over Texas | Original Mr. Freeze is back

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
Another one bites the dust...

When I visited in 2018, Mr. Freeze was closed for maintenance - definitely didn't expect it to be closing for good just 4 years later. It looked extremely unique and groundbreaking for the late 1990s, as well as one of Premier Rides' best coasters.
Mr Freeze Reverse Blast ends! Could it be possible that they might be retheming the ride and running it forwards again instead of just scrapping the entire ride it would make more sense especially after it's repaint?!

emoo

Hyper Poster
One of the top rides at the park.

A slide that could do with presenting more reassuring information - "THIS IS YOUR SIX FLAGS"?

Have they seen how well the late addition of a turntable has worked for Aquaman and decided to add one here to randomise the launch direction. 😵

Here's hoping that whatever this is it stays.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
This is a LIM launch coaster, isn't it? Could it be maintenance or running costs have finally outpaced its guest draw?

CoasterHour

Roller Poster
If Mr. Freeze closes for good, the Texas Power Grid issues might be involved. The coaster already had to run for limited hours this summer and they are opening Aquaman Power Wave another launch coaster next year. Not sure how the park will consistently operate two launch coasters (even though Aquaman should use a lot less power) as long as Texas power issues persist.

Last edited:

EDjanaika

Mega Poster
This is a LIM launch coaster, isn't it? Could it be maintenance or running costs have finally outpaced its guest draw?
The same type of coaster as the chiller at SFGAd which had many problems during it's run at the park! This one from what I've heard has had its fair share of down time as well but it seems completely unnecessary to remove it with all the information we have at the moment!

toofpikk

Mega Poster
People always seem so surprised at the lack of communication between departments at theme parks but its a completely common thing across any large company in any industry. On a large scale, I know parks that put in planning permissions for new attractions without even alerting their in house PR team, and on a smaller scale, parks where sales and operations don't communicate things like fast track ticket sales and capacity limits. It's (scarily) totally normal.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
It actually makes sense. Premier has switched to LSM on all new coasters since Mr Freeze opened. Seeing how expensive running a coaster like this is, it is rather smart to completely retrofit it with LSM, new trains and maybe give it a new name/twist.

Someone was throwing the possibility of having a turntable where trains could either be launched forwards or backwards. If SF did this, it would make the ride unique and impredictable to guests, which leads to rerideability.

Either way, I am happy to see such an iconic coaster stay.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Someone was throwing the possibility of having a turntable where trains could either be launched forwards or backwards. If SF did this, it would make the ride unique and impredictable to guests, which leads to rerideability.

Either way, I am happy to see such an iconic coaster stay.
Or you'd just keep the current transfer track setup and turn one of the trains around and use each station platform for separate forwards/backwards trains.