What's new

Six Flags New England and Boulder Dash August 3rd + 6th

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
On August 3rd I joined my friends Ben, John, and Andrew along with Andrews Dad to Six Flags New England for Andrews Birthday. This was my 4th trip to Six Flags New England and I have already been on every coaster. I really don't like the park an awful lot but here we go.

We got there around opening and headed straight for the only reason to go there aka Bizarro. It was about a 45 minute wait but its always well worth it. It wasn't as good as I remembered and it looked really small compared to looking at TTD and Millennium a couple weeks ago. Still an amazing ride though and remains in the #3 spot. After riding I asked myself if I would rather be on Millennium or Bizarro and Millennium won easily. In my opinion I don't see in what world Bizarro could be better but thats just me and own view in things. Bizarro is still amazing and I find it amazing and I still have a soft spot for it since It was my favorite coaster for 3 years.

Next was the longest named coaster ever. Gotham City Gauntlet Escape from Arkham Asylum. Just a standard wild mouse and I love the batman themeing.

John, Ben, and Andrews dad on GCGEFAA

None of my friends understand my obsession with coasters and they think you get some sort of prize when you ride 100 or any kind of milestone. They like them but don't really see the big deal.

We skipped it but Catwomans Whip isn't that bad of a +1.

We ate lunch and headed for what I feel is second best coaster here. Batman the Dark Knight.

I really enjoy this ride and don't understand the hate it gets. I find it a very smooth fun ride with great inversions. It is one of the few coasters I like at Six Flags New England.

After that we went to a freaking horrible ride in Mind Eraser. Vekoma can't do anything right I have yet to find a coaster they made that I don't hate. We got off Mind Eraser and headed to the ride I looked forward to the most Thunderbolt. It was 3 years since I rode it and loved it. I find it the better of the two woods and very smooth it has a great fun aspect to it but if you’re looking for an insane drop or speed you went to the wrong ride. But by all means not a bad coaster I'd say its right behind Batman: The Dark Knight on my list of favorite SFNE coasters.

After that they rode Goliath since I hated it when I rode it last year I skipped it and then we skipped Flashback without hesitation either.

Once they got off Goliath we headed to the final two coasters we wanted. Pandemonium and Cyclone. First was Pandemonium. Probably my 4th favorite coaster here. I love this ride a lot. It is such a fun ride and I wish there were more around where I live. We got stuck on the way back into the station in the rain for 15 minutes. Now onto the final coaster of the day Cyclone. It wasn't as bad as I remember it but it was still horrible. I don't know which I want them to get rid of first Mind Eraser, Flashback, or Cyclone all three need to die. I would add Goliath to the list but since it’s the newest coaster it won't be going anytime soon.

I really don’t like Six Flags New England. It has a poor flat ride selection, to many vekoma coasters, a bunch of crap/+1 coasters and one really amazing coaster. It is a very gross and dirty park also. I don’t plan on visiting it again unless they open a new amazing coaster that the park desperately needs.

Lake Compounce and the return to Boulder Dash.

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ yeah, tell me if I'm wrong, but do many mods even post/view to Forum Fun. It might be here a while.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
I did I messaged furie. I usually just search CF by new posts so I see whatever is posted in any topic and thought someone might see it that way.

Edward M

Strata Poster
^ well, that good. On another note, good report so far.

I really look forward to hearing about Boulder Dash "Dash" to number one woodie.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Very good report. I especially like the amount of text you used as some trip reports, I find, drag on for too long. And the Mods are very touchy (so am I really) about the organisation and cleanliness of our forum so it should be moved in no time.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Good report. I agree with you about getting rid of Flashback and Mind Eraser, by I actually really liked Cyclone, very wild woodie! Hopefully SFNE will get a new B&M soon...

I'll be interested in hearing your opinion on Boulder Dash. I'll be riding that beauty in a couple weeks.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
CoastingChris50 said:
I did I messaged furie. I usually just search CF by new posts so I see whatever is posted in any topic and thought someone might see it that way.

I do exactly the same so also missed this was in the wrong place :lol:

I'm also in the UK, so was in bed when you sent me the PM :)

All good now, and I really enjoyed the report. It's really interesting seeing the difference between your thoughts on the park as a "regular" on a non-enthusiast day compared to others like Colossus' who is visiting purely as an enthusiast from over here :)

Likewise looking forward to the LC part :)

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Lake Compounce August 6th 2013
My uncle picked my best friend Jake and I at 8:30 in the morning and we headed up to Bristol. It is about a 2 and ½ hour drive from my house which is very short for me after having drove to Florida, Mississippi, and Ohio this was nothing. My uncle is one of those people who pisses everyone off and started very early in the day for Jake and I. He has half and a tank a gas and he stops for gas only puts $12 in and doesn’t even fill it. That makes absolutely zero sense if you’re going to get gas with half a tank why not fill it up? Then he listens to the cd twice in a row like you have 15 other cd’s switch the darn thing. He drives horribly slow to. A normal person would get there in 2 hours it took him at least 3 and ½. And when we got to Bristol there are signs for Lake Compounce and he decides to not listen to us and takes his precious yahoo maps route and ends up at the employee lot.

I had only been to Lake Compounce once before and it was for my 8th grade class trip in 2010. At the time I was still a little afraid of coasters and didn’t really care for them so I was looking forward to returning. When we went I was afraid of Zoomerang and only rode Wildcat and Boulder Dash so I had one new coaster for me to get. Sooner or later we actually got into the park which only means one thing. Heading straight to Boulder Dash. The thing that never makes any sense to me is how the line for Zoomerang is so much longer then Boulder Dash. I know obviously Zoomerang has one train and Boulder Dash was running two but the line in general was so much longer length wise not time wise. But anyway Boulder Dash!

This was my favorite wood since it was 3 years since I first rode it. Back then I thought it was a good coaster but I knew nothing about coasters and couldn’t tell if it was good or bad and didn’t really know how much people loved the coaster. I just knew it held some records and was fast. After learning more about coasters I can fairly judge it now. Phoenix and Thunderhead were both ahead of Boulder Dash. Emphasis on the word WERE. The front of the ride in my opinion is better than the back but like Phoenix it doesn’t have a bad seat on it. I was surprised at how quick the lifthill was most wood coasters and coasters in general are fairly slow but this had some zip to it. The first drop was great the speed coming off the first drop was incredible. The random hills and turns hugging the mountain that you don’t know are coming are amazing. My favorite part I don’t remember specifically where but I’m assuming it’s the second biggest drop after the initial one. It has great airtime on it. Unlike Thunderhead and Phoenix, Boulder Dash really doesn’t have as much airtime which is totally fine because it has such other amazing aspects. After my first ride I knew it was the new #1 wood. I believe we rode it 5-6 times and each ride was better than the last. We had to leave at 5 for a WNBA game(Uncle is a season ticket holder) but Jake and I could of easily stayed and rode Boulder Dash until the park tossed us out. Once again totally amazing ride.

Now the rest of the park. After Boulder Dash I had to do it. What looks like could be my last new coaster of the season unless I go snag a kiddie cred somewhere, Zoomerang. The only good thing I have to say is its pretty.

Out of all the Vekoma coasters I’ve been on only one (Flashback SFNE) I haven’t thought looks pretty. Goliath and Mind Eraser at SFNE, Stinger at Dorney, and even Sidewinder with its dark snake like colors is somewhat nice. I think Zoomerang is very pretty and that is all the compliment I can give it. It was just a standard Boomerang that I wasn’t looking forward to riding. It was rough like most are but sadly I still like it better then Wildcat.

After Zoomerang we went to a ride I loved 3 years ago Ghost Hunt. Lake Compounce’s dark ride/shooter. I loved Ghost Hunt and I beat the crap out of Jake on it. It has very nice theming to it and it’s not as scary as other rides I’ve been on (Haunted House, Knoebels).

After Ghost Hunt we grabbed some food and rode Boulder Dash more and more. I finally decided to hit Wildcat after disliking it 3 years ago I decided to give it another shot. Jake wanted no part of it as he disliked it also but came with me anyway. After the first drop I thought it was going to be great. The first drop was very smooth and then it was all downhill from there.

It does look quite nice when you enter the park though.

It was just rough point blank Jake and I got thrashed around the waves and it was not very pleasant.

It was getting close to the time we had to leave so we got some more rides on Boulder Dash and went on the Log Flume. The Log Flume was a good one we wanted the back because the people we saw getting off in the back got less soaked. Unfortunately the operators assign seating so Jake and I got a little too close for comfort and had to sit in the front. We got drenched but that was nothing another ride on Boulder Dash couldn’t take care of. After that we were heading to the exit and I went to try for the kiddie cred. It is one of the few kiddie coasters I’ve encountered that adults absolutely need a child to ride. I went in line and the ride op was bitching at 4 little kids in front of me who were way smaller then me and just over the height maximum so I just left the line. Someday kiddie coaster..someday.

We grabbed some awesome bacon cheese fries and free refills for the road and headed to the basketball game.

Overall I really enjoyed Lake Compounce and it was exactly how I remembered it. They have a good flat selection with rides like Thunder N Lightning(pretty much Skyhawk), Revolution, Wipeout, a drop tower, an enterprise, a pirate ship, and a raft ride I wish we could of got on. Coaster selection is pretty lackluster other than Boulder Dash and free refills is something all parks should have. I would gladly go back to Lake Compounce sometime soon. Hopefully with a little kid so I can snag that gosh darn kiddie coaster.

Thank you all for reading and this might be my last trip of the year. I want to stay over my cousins house in CT and then go to Playland Park and Quassy so that trip might happen but it’s still an idea in the works. Thanks again for reading everyone. :--D

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Glad that Boulder Dash didn't end up as a disappointment for you. I agree that in terms of repeated airtime, it's not quite up there, but for unexpected airtime and sheer thrill, it's just the best.