What's new

Six Flags Mexico | Medusa Steel Coaster | RMC Iron Horse

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
A different angle than the previous photo I posted above. You can see some of the progress they've made.

1098347_10152265003637138_332890954_n.jpg

From the park's Facebook page.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Modifying a standing structure is not as time consuming as building one from the ground up and the weather in Mexico City is much better than Chicago. :wink:

njn63

Mega Poster
ECG said:
Modifying a standing structure is not as time consuming as building one from the ground up and the weather in Mexico City is much better than Chicago. :wink:
And we've had a horrible winter in the Chicago area. It snowed a couple inches today actually. :cry:

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Honestly, each time I see an RMC, I'm always stunned. It's amazing how far wooden coasters have come over the past decade. I been meaning to ask, with the tragic incident on Texas Giant last year, are Gerstlauer doing the restraints for the cars or are RMC doing their own?

_koppen

Hyper Poster
I don't think it has been released anything about if the trains will be Gerstlauer or RMC on this one, but I could be wrong.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^You are wrong, as I posted on the previous page. :wink:
EastCoasterGeneral said:
Don't know if you remember my post in the IAAPA 2013 topic, but like Outlaw Run, Steel Medusa and Goliath will be using RMC's trains (like New Texas Giant should have done). So no issues with Gerstie in this case.

BZdOoNjIYAAnNS-.jpg:large
Nemesis of oblivion said:
I been meaning to ask, with the tragic incident on Texas Giant last year, are Gerstlauer doing the restraints for the cars or are RMC doing their own?
RMC use their own restraints on their trains. Gerstlauer will never have anything to do with an RMC Ironhorse again.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Looks great!

What about Iron Rattler's restraints? Were those made by Gerstlauer or was it RMC?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Iron Rattler also uses Gerstlauer trains, which is why the coaster was closed after the New Texas Giant incident and had seat belts added when it reopened. Outlaw Run uses the RMC trains, so no modifications were made after the accident.
Six Flags has obviously learned its lesson about going with other companies to cut costs. Too bad it had to come at such a price.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
ECG said:
Six Flags has obviously learned its lesson about going with other companies to cut costs. Too bad it had to come at such a price.

I don't think using a German company, and then have the train shipped across the Atlantic, was a cost cutting decision.

RMC probably wasn't ready to proto their trains until Outlaw Run.

therick311

Mega Poster
_koppen said:

I think this is probably true. It's my understanding that they made small tweaks to the Outlaw Run trains throughout the summer last year. They probably feel they are now ready to be used on all of their new rides.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
ECG said:
Gerstlauer will never have anything to do with an RMC Ironhorse again.

Is that from an official statement from RMC?

Also, whats the major differences between the RMC trains and the Gerstlauer ones?

tribar

Mega Poster
Screaming Coasters said:
ECG said:

Also, whats the major differences between the RMC trains and the Gerstlauer ones?

No one has died on an RMC train

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Screaming Coasters said:
ECG said:

That's a statement I made or do you actually think Gerstlauer will agree to take a chance of another lawsuit for supplying another set of trains for an Ironhorse or that any park will take a chance with Gerstlauer trains on an Ironhorse after the New Texas Giant incident?
Hell, I'd even be surprised if Gerstlauer builds another coaster for Six Flags until after the lawsuits are settled.
I'm also sure that RMC would highly recommend that any park wanting the company to do an Ironhorse treatment for one of their woodies not hire Gerstlauer for the trains. RMC is currently in the position to even possibly insist that they use their own trains instead of Gerstlauer's.
Screaming Coasters said:
The major differences from a technical standpoint are the seats, the restraints and the coupling that connects the cars. From an aesthetic standpoint, it's the lack of a "nose" on the front of the train.
_koppen said:
That's not what RMC's President told us during Outlaw Run's media days and RMC's COO told me at Iron Rattler's media day that Six Flags went with the Gerstlauer trains to save money.

Screaming Coasters

Strata Poster
^ Ah cool, thanks for the heads up on my question.

Theres no lawsuit between RMC and Gerstlauer, from what I've just searched. Only a SixFlags lawsuit.

They're a trustworthy brand, its just an isolated incidence that won't happen again. I mean, Intamin have had several accidents, and sometimes fatal accidents at a Six Flags park, and yet they're used over and over again at the same Six Flags parks.

_koppen

Hyper Poster
ECG said:
That's not what RMC's President told us during Outlaw Run's media days and RMC's COO told me at Iron Rattler's media day that Six Flags went with the Gerstlauer trains to save money.

Well that is obviously what he is going to say, he's not going to say that Six Flags didn't wan't to proto their trains.

As I said you don't save money with buying a train from a expensive German company, and then ship them transatlantic. They were most likely also very happy with the NTG trains, up until the accident, which is why we also saw them on Iron Rattler.

Lofty

CF Legend
_koppen said:
ECG said:

Well that is obviously what he is going to say, he's not going to say that Six Flags didn't wan't to proto their trains.

As I said you don't save money with buying a train from a expensive German company, and then ship them transatlantic. They were most likely also very happy with the NTG trains, up until the accident, which is why we also saw them on Iron Rattler.
Or maybe it's not a big conspiracy theory and it may have actually been to save money.

At the end of he day, NTG was in fact a prototype, no matter how you see it, so they'd let the whole track of the coaster prototype but no trains? That's not exactly viable.