What's new

Six Flags Great America | Maxx Force | S&S Air Launch

Edward M

Strata Poster
latest

John Knotts

Mega Poster
I agree this smells like a Raptor. Does the Wonder Woman theme makes sense for this area? It's been years since I've been to Great America.

Snoo

The Legend
I agree this smells like a Raptor. Does the Wonder Woman theme makes sense for this area? It's been years since I've been to Great America.
Most likely not. Given the most recent map of the park (below), you can see the theater to the right of the front carousel. I would think they would generically theme it as it's on the other side of the main midway and closer to Whizzer and Viper then anything.

https://static.sixflags.com/website/files/sfgam_park-map.pdf

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
The area is currently in the 'Carousel Plaza' section of the area, which is essentially just the front gate. Hometown Square is right next door, which has more of a 1920s Smalltown American Square feel, but I can see them putting a DC ride in the area. It's been done before, so it can happen again.

Also, yall are so optimistic. Watch it be a waterpark expansion.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
I'm going to keep my eye on this either way. Maybe it's worth putting off a return trip until next season (though by September I should know either way i guess)

KJ7500

Roller Poster
I went to SFGA for the first time last year and I was struck by how the DC rides were just kind of randomly placed with no care for theming. The Joker was hanging out near New Orleans. Justice League was way in the back of the park. I was cracking jokes about a southwestern themed DC ride to justify another over there.

Ben

CF Legend
Yeah it’s safe to say you don’t need to worry about it being with the other DC rides because they’re all spread out (at least Joker is next to Batman?)

And Joker might be near the New Orleans section but Batman and the Dark Knight are just in it entirely haha

Look at SFGAdv they’re literally just... everywhere

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
What's intriguing about this is that it's on a slight hill. Obviously one can still put a clone on the side of a hill but it does require all parties involved to get the slightest bit more creative.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
SFFT’s is over that water feature that was part of the splash boats if I’m correct. Maybe just flatten that hillside out to put water there and on the steep bit behind it have a retaining wall covered by rockwork and a waterfall? SFGAm is a pretty flat place for the most part, this slope can’t be that dramatic.

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Actually, that hill is pretty drastic. 20-ish feet, I'd say. In fact, most of the markers are at the top of this hill. As for a retaining wall/waterfall, the park's railroad is right there, so adding in a waterfall would be very costly to install/maintain. So I'd say whatever is coming, it'll be using the hill to its advantage.

Which would work super well for a nice water park expansion.

Matt N

CF Legend
I was just reading through today's Screamscape news update, and it would seem that Lance has some interesting opinions on SFGAm 2019:
Screamscape said:
2019 - New Attraction - Rumor - (8/11/18) Six Flags Great America has posted the second part of their Road to Glory racing themed teaser as we follow the guy from the first part climbing into a drop pod slide, and being told at the bottom that "You can do better." They then show off a stopwatch with a 2 second time.
If they are playing a numbers game with us, then in Part 1 the fellow gets sprayed down with cans of "SPF 1,000" before being sent to the slide tower, along with an awkward holding of one can by the girl with the only speaking role so we can see the logo while they gaze at the tower.
Despite the waterpark background, are we looking at a new launched coaster concept here? The fastest coaster in the Six Flags chain is Kingda Ka which hits 128mph in 3.5 seconds... but there was once a launched coaster in the US that had a much more extreme launch sensation. It wasn't as fast as Kingda Ka, hitting only 80mph, but it did it in 1.8 seconds and just felt completely out of control. I'm talking about the former Hypersonic XLC coaster that ran at Kings Dominion from 2001 to 2007 from S&S, back with S&S was pushing the concept as their "Thrust Air 2000" coaster concept, using compressed air to power the launch and actual rubber aircraft tires on the coaster train itself. The king of all Thrust Air coasters was built in Japan as Dodonpa... now remodeled and renamed as Do-Dodonpa, which features a 111.9 mph launch in just 1.6 seconds.
To date, no Intamin launched coaster that I know of has been able to match the raw power of the S&S launch system, with I believe their best being between Xcelerator at Knott's Berry Farm which hits 82mph in 2.3 seconds, and Stealth at Thorpe Park that hits 80mph in 1.9 seconds.
While Intamin seems to have retired their Hydraulic launch system for the time being, S&S has quietly been building newer versions of their Air launched system across China over the past decade onto more traditional looking coaster systems. None have attempted to match the speed of Do-Dodonpa, but most report launch speeds of 83mph (Extreme rush, Bullet Coaster, OCT Thrust SSC1000) and the Launch Coaster that is expected to open later this year at Sun Tzu Cultural Park in China that will launch to 83.9 mph. Unfortunately I've been unable to find any documentation on the time of these new launch systems. So this does make me wonder if we could be seeing a new launch coaster from S&S come to SFGAm next season as it could easily take the record for fastest acceleration in North America. Just a thought...
A launch coaster would be very interesting, in my opinion. If this is a launch coaster, then Six Flags are building some very unique rides in 2019, what with SFMM's Mack and potentially this unique project. One does have to wonder why they would use the waterpark in their teasers if it were a launch coaster, though...
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_america.htm

Matt N

CF Legend
Sorry for double posting, but part 3 of Road to Glory has been uploaded:
And Lance from Screamscape has some more interesting thoughts on it:
Screamscape said:
2019 - New Attraction - Construction - (8/17/18) Six Flags Great America is back at it again with the third teaser as our speed demon in training has traded the bathing suit for a red jumpsuit and while running out of the waterpark a trainer says, 'Max, take the detour!"
STOP... here is our first official hint about the name I think. They called him Max... and we know Six Flags has filed a trademark for the name "Maxx Force", which was also rumored to possibly be the same for the new coaster going to Six Flags Magic Mountain along with West Coast Racer.
Back to the video... Max crosses the train tracks where four more trainers point the way to him standing next to a sign indicating a twisted road ahead... 175 Yards Ahead to be specific. Possibly another numeric hint about the ride to come... maybe 175 feet tall?
More to come, as this is the end of Episode 3 for now.
Six Flags Day can't come fast enough! Only 13 days away now!
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/six_flags_great_america.htm

KJ7500

Roller Poster
Maxx Force totally reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer changed his name to Max Power.

Matt N

CF Legend
SFGAm have today uploaded the final Road to Glory teaser:
To me, that implies some kind of North American record. I'm stumped, personally. Their early teasers used the waterpark, but they seem to have completely abandoned the waterpark in their later teasers. The teasers seem to imply a racing theme, but everyone else seems to think it'll be a waterpark attraction... Six Flags day can't come soon enough!