What's new

SFMM | West Coast Racers | Premier Quad Launch Möbius Sky Rocket

tomahawk

Strata Poster
And a photo found on Reddit:

9q73xvaki3821.jpg

I know Six Flags Magic Mountain is notorious for opening projects late, but this is laughably horrendous. There isn't a single footer visible in that photo. The park closed down this corner months ago and they have dirt to show for all the effort they've done thus far.

@tomahawk and I had a bit of a chat earlier with regard to why - he'd bet that the delays have to do with the housing development that's about to start behind Apocalypse. Not sure why a new coaster would cause problems when Apocalypse already borders the neighborhood, but whatever.

@tomahawk and I had a bit of a chat earlier with regard to why - he'd bet that the delays have to do with the housing development that's about to start behind Apocalypse. Not sure why a new coaster would cause problems when Apocalypse already borders the neighborhood, but whatever.

I should follow up on this to provide some context.

I don't know if it is fully the housing development, but I would put money on it being something either the state is delaying with permits/construction, or it is linked to the housing development. Reason I think it might be state issue is because SFDK is having issues too. Hard to say it's a coincidence with both being effected.

The housing development links to a project my dad worked on for 15 years. It doesn't matter if you have had plans for 3 years, there are groups that come in and block movement in litigation hell. I am assuming the new HOA for that development is fighting the park and city to prevent any more build in that area of the park. Ultimately, in this case, the HOA will lose, but I fully expect the park to have limited hours/sound shields coming for the rides backing up to the area.

To play devils advocate on the other side:

Most rides at the park dont open til July anyways, so this isn't super surprising it isn't vertical yet. They dont have winter to deal with, and they have moved a **** ton of dirt to get to where they are now. A lot of underground work has, I'm sure, been done.

Also, wildfires consistently ravage that area where those houses are going to be built. Feels like a horrible idea.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

JJLehto

Hyper Poster
LOL yeah I was hoping it'd be ready for a Sept CA trip, not looking toooo good!
Honestly, it seemed like a really weird idea to me anyway. They got full throttle, they got TC, so make the new ride....a mediocre combo of both? A slower FT that navigates a less intense TC like course. Its....what were they thinking? Its not even like there's cool or innovative ideas, most were done on TC lol
oh six flags

tomahawk

Strata Poster
So this is from google maps as of Jan 25. That new housing development is 21,500 homes. Yes. Over 20 thousand homes are being built right behind the park.

This reminds me of back in 05? 07? When Six Flags was considering selling MM before the housing market collapsed. Simply put, this is not good for the park. Noise complaints will be non stop, new coasters will be fought every step of the way, and I expect around walls to be built ib the not too distant future. That's saying the park is still there in 2030.
f4cadf1fe7314aa3f815b2131f64898e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Simply put, this is not good for the park. Noise complaints will be non stop, new coasters will be fought every step of the way, and I expect around walls to be built ib the not too distant future. That's saying the park is still there in 2030.
Aren't there any "we came first" type of laws in the US? I mean, if you build a house on empty land right next to a theme park open year-round with almost 50 years of history behind it, there's a limit to how much you can complain about the noise. Residents can't move in and demand the park to change anything for their sake.

That being said, the noisiest coasters are usually the biggest ones, and Six Flags can't afford to build any of those anytime soon. There's also a general trend in the industry towards smaller coasters, using launches to achieve terrifying speed rather than tall (expensive, noisy) drops. It might be that Six Flags wouldn't have plans to build anything noisy in the foreseeable future anyway.

Aaron Smith

Mega Poster
Aren't there any "we came first" type of laws in the US? I mean, if you build a house on empty land right next to a theme park open year-round with almost 50 years of history behind it, there's a limit to how much you can complain about the noise. Residents can't move in and demand the park to change anything for their sake.

That being said, the noisiest coasters are usually the biggest ones, and Six Flags can't afford to build any of those anytime soon. There's also a general trend in the industry towards smaller coasters, using launches to achieve terrifying speed rather than tall (expensive, noisy) drops. It might be that Six Flags wouldn't have plans to build anything noisy in the foreseeable future anyway.
Couldn't agree more. It's ridiculous that they are building that many house right next to a theme park. I really like SFMM and hope this doesn't interfere with future investment.

Hutch

Strata Poster
I can't imagine they'd fill those 20,000+ houses within the next decade. A large theme park with 20 coasters will likely be a red flag to your average person if they're considering moving into this area.

kenny cook

Mega Poster
Supposedly the home's construction was the big push for 365 days of operations, as if they switched once people moved in, they could claim decreased quality of life. That being said, all the homeowners are signing away that they understand that there will be 12 hours of noise a day and they can't complain, so I don't think it'll be an issue. That's not even including the fact that the hill overlooking the park is being left empty to act as a sound barrier. (Also, fun fact! The reason West Coast Racers is being built so low to the ground is because of the homes, they want to minimize future issues, so they're trying to keep it below that sound barrier hill and low to the ground, so the noise isn't excessive)

streetmagix

Mega Poster
The new housing development could be an issue, despite the park being there already. Brands Hatch was opened in the 1940s yet a housing development opened a few years ago forced them to restrict noise levels and days as the new residents complained. Same with many other circuits in the UK. Alton Towers have had similar issues despite it opening as a theme park in 1980. Lets hope any legal document that Six Flags have asked the new homeowners to sign is watertight....