What's new

SFGAdv, Dorney Park and NYC

Brookes

Giga Poster
On a grey Thursday morning in August, my dad, uncle, cousin and I set off to Manchester Airport for our just-short-of-a-week long trip to America. We flew Manchester to Heathrow then chilled in the BA lounge for a bit before flying business to JFK. It’s the first time I’ve ever had the privilege of flying in such luxury and it’s definitely the best flight I’ve ever been on – I didn’t want it to end! One of the airhostesses pointed out another plane out of the window as we were travelling over the Atlantic, so I got a shot of it, note this is on very high zoom though!

We went through customs, picked up our luggage and got the rent-a-car and headed for our first hotel in Wrightstown, NJ. This all went very smoothly, as we were soon bidding the NY skyline a sudden farewell for a few days as we passed over the double decker Verrazano-Narrows Bridge to Staten Island. We checked in, grabbed something to eat, and then got a good night’s sleep ahead of the big day at SFGAdv.

After a very early awakening thanks to the time difference, we hit McDonalds for breakfast (when in Rome) and headed off to Six Flags with our trusty Never Lost satnav. We set it to “least use of freeways” as the interstates can get a bit boring and to see the neighbourhood. Some of the houses were very nice but we were all surprised by the lack of fences or borders on most houses (wouldn’t see that in England).

Almost half an hour into the journey, I was wondering if we were travelling in the right direction given that the GPS said we were 2 minutes away but I still couldn’t see the biggest roller coaster in the world. We quickly saw the sign for Six Flags though and the clutter of coasters could be seen as soon as we entered the car park.

As we were walking up to the entrance, we saw a selection of coasters testing: Superman, Kingda Ka, and Green Lantern. It was about 10 AM by now so we had about a half an hour wait until the park opened, so we stood in the not so orderly lines outside the entrance which stretched past the ticket booths. Looking around though, it seemed that everyone, like us, had booked online.

Once the gates opened, I thought it’d be a good idea to head to the back of the park as everyone was heading for the bottom left corner (Superman etc.). We walked past El Toro which had men working on the lift hill not looking particularly promising. Still we hoped it may open later. It has a lovely setting mind.

Heading straight to the back corner, we intended to hit Bizarro first but we got there to find it didn’t open until eleven. Glad I was made aware of this beforehand… no wonder the ones near the car park were testing they were the only things that opened when the park did! Anyway, Bizarro was testing so we stuck around for ten minutes or so until they opened it. We were virtually at the front of the queue so got front row.

It was a very nice ride indeed. However, I’m not too sure about the setting just over a field. It’s a solid coaster though, even if it does throw you around a fair bit.

Next up was the mine train which was also walk on at this point. My cousin and I headed to the back row which actually provided some airtime in some places – particularly over the hill by the lake near the end. Slightly rough but it is an Arrow.

Afterwards we went on the Flume. Can’t really remember much about it meaning it was probably unremarkable but a fun water ride nonetheless. I do remember however that after one of the drops it doesn’t slow down and just bombs it round the corners. My uncle wanted the ORP and we got an email of it as well:

It was a really hot day, so we went to get one of those refillable drinks bottles. Not bad value at about $16 but what is it with the Americans and not adding tax on until you get to paying. It’s advertised as $14.99 then you get to the window and they say “$16.04” so annoying.

I think next we headed to the other side of the park and queued up for Nitro. The park had started to get busier as it got closer to lunchtime and we ended up queuing about half an hour. We went for the back row and expected a very intense ride given its reputation.

It certainly didn’t let us down. That first drop just feels like it goes on forever and the following hills are full of floater. The helix before the MCBR is really forceful and the final run of hills are very intense. Overall it is a very good ride, if a little nauseating when combined with the heat on the day.

Next I think we went to grab some lunch. We went to a chicken place which was alright. I probably should have stuck to some standard chicken strips and fries though because I went for buffalo chicken and mac ‘n’ cheese and the chicken was caked in the sauce and it wasn’t that great.

After lunch, we decided to go on the rapids. The wait wasn’t too bad given that there wasn’t a turntable. The queue does split off in two different directions though and you’re told to use both sides but one is obviously shorter than the other so we went that way. The ride itself was ok but was generally just one simple loop providing quite the soaking.

At this point, my cousin wasn’t feeling too great due to the heat and force from Nitro so he decided to sit out the next ride. I went and joined the queue for Batman not knowing how long it would be. I was looking forward to it as I’d missed out on a Batman clone at SFMM so hadn’t ridden one yet. Little did I know, the queue ended up being like an hour and it got very boring queuing on my own.

Once I got to the station, I kind of realised why the queue was so long. It is an absolute free-for-all. The bays are filled with about 10 people deep to the back wall and people with fastpasses are just thrown in from the side and filter in with no organisation whatsoever. Nitro’s station was the same. Would it be so hard to just hold people when you get to the station and then organise them into bays one train at a time? They were also consistently stacking two trains. Nitro was stacking three. Not overly impressive.

Despite all this, the ride was actually very good and really intense. I sat in the middle somewhere (tried to gauge which row I would get on quickest) and the tight elements lead to some really nice forces, especially in the last turn. It was a great coaster.

Due to the large Batman queue, it was mid-afternoon by now and we both wanted to get on something really good. El Toro still wasn’t open to our annoyance so we headed to Kingda Ka. As we got there, people were coming out of the queue and we heard it had broken down. Not ideal. Given that it was near we then went to ride Superman.

It also didn’t help that we faffed a bit on the way over to Ka. Most of us had forgotten sunglasses so we had to go buy some and then we had an ice-cream which was pretty pricey (like $7!).

The queue for Superman wasn’t that long probably about half an hour, but there was part of a switchback which was getting sprayed by a sprinkler so people waited until they could get clear to move in the queue. It was quite amusing to watch. Once we got to the station, we ended up going somewhere in the middle of the train.

The lift felt a lot higher than I thought it would, because it is over flat land. The other flyers I have ridden (Air and Tatsu) both have their lifts over elevated terrain. I really enjoyed the first swooping drop and the pretzel was more fun that Tatsu’s in my opinion. The following overbanks were also really fun. It is a good coaster, but not as good as other flyers due to its setting.

Ka had reopened so we headed straight for it. The huge cattlepen seemed to go on forever, not helped by the ride having a little hissy-fit and breaking down for 10 minutes or so whilst we were in the middle of the queue. They were also only running one side of the station. As a result of this, we ended up waiting about 70 minutes.

By the time we reached the station we were both pretty pumped and ended up going on row 2 (the front row would have been a long wait). We sat on the launch track for what felt like an eternity, then without warning we were launched down the straight. The acceleration went on and on and at the end it felt like it was shaking side to side. It felt so out of control. Then within seconds we were up and over the top, spirally back down to the ground and over the massive hill.

Though I don’t consider it the best ride I’ve ever been on (I still think Shambhala and X2 provide better all-round experiences) the feeling is nothing like I’ve ever felt on a ride before and it is an amazing coaster. I can only imagine what the front row is like. Here’s our ORP:

By now it was 7 PM and although the park was open for another 3 hours, we decided to call it a day and go and get something to eat and head back to the hotel. We were gutted about El Toro (it was still closed) but weren’t really bothered about the other coasters we hadn’t ridden. The only major thing we missed was Green Lantern.

Next up is Dorney Park where I had time to take a lot more better-quality pictures!

Intricks

Strata Poster
Yeah, Great Adventure is really well hidden from view considering you cant see Ka at all (which utterly baffeled me when I went a few years back) except in brief snippets.

Chris Coasters

Strata Poster
Great report. Great Adventure is one of the closest parks that I haven't been to yet and hope to go next year. I loved Dorney and NYC when I went so I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.

Brookes

Giga Poster
After a good but tiring first day at Six Flags, we woke up early again, had breakfast at McDonalds avoiding the McGriddle this time (not a fan) and set off on the 1h30 journey to Dorney Park. It was a really nice morning and soon we were looking down on the selection of coasters the park had to offer. Dorney sort of sits in a valley (well half of the park) and has a very nice setting with lots of trees. It definitely looked a lot nicer than Six Flags on appearance.

We made our way through bag search which had a ridiculously long queue but nobody really knew what it was for so people sort of mixed in. Again, as with Six Flags, it was not tremendously organised. It was not long, however, until we were in the park at about 11 AM. We headed straight for the reputable Talon with the plan of getting on the good stuff early.

It certainly looked promising as we walked through empty queue line and reached the station after what was probably less than 10 minutes. When we got there we realised they were running 2 trains without stacking, hurrah! Anyway, we headed for the back row and took our seats for our ride.

Talon feels like the newer B&M inverts, it sort of rides exactly like Silver Bullet. It is very smooth but lacks the character of the older ones. It was still a solid ride though and, like Hydra, it had a unique layout which was a nice change – especially the second half which was awesome. The last turn had the force of Nemesis’ after the corkscrew, just not as prolonged.

Did I mention it is also very nice to photograph?

We got another refillable drinks bottle (it was roasting again) which was a bit cheaper than the one at Six Flags and they did a deal on multiple bottles. With no time to spare, we headed straight to Hydra next, a ride I’ve been looking forward to riding for a long time. I remember the first time I saw it was on the NoLimits demo and didn’t even realise it was a real ride at first. It has such an interesting layout and I couldn’t wait to ride it.

Like Talon, it had a very small queue so we decided to wait a few extra trains to get on the front row. I have to commend Dorney on the operation of their coasters – unlike Six Flags there was a host stopping you going on the station until there was space and there was rarely stacking of trains. Fastpasses were also handled well. Have that Six Flags.

The gate opened, floor lowered and we were soon hanging upside down in that insane jo-jo roll. Up the lift we went and flew through the layout with all these crazy inversions. I don’t know whether it was the uniqueness of the layout or what but I really enjoyed Hydra, a lot. The front row ride was amazing and I thought it was a fantastic all round coaster. The funky shaping of the cobra is even smooth.

Next up was the log flume. Again, hardly any queue, but the boats didn’t seem big enough to hold all 4 of us, so we went in twos. I didn’t get any pictures but it was one of the strangest flumes I’ve ever been on. You go up the lift (which is actually on a hill) and get a great view of Steel Force’s helix at the top. Then you just seem to bomb round corners and the like before going down a very shallow but soaking drop. Look at the last turn on this video from sharpproductions:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxSmHNtg0FM[/youtube]

We then took the long walk down to Steel Force (didn’t really realise how far away the entrance is!) and met a walk on. Given we didn’t have to queue at all we decided to wait a bit for the front row. It was my first Morgan hyper so didn’t exactly know what to expect but was hoping it’d be a bit smoother than PMBO.

After heading up the jerky lift, I wasn’t entirely convinced but as soon as we went down the first drop it didn’t let up the entire way through. The drops went on forever and there was lots of airtime on the returning hills. A very good ride, but it’s never going to contend with the B&M hypers of today. I’d happily re-ride it though.

Lunch was next where I had chicken strips (remembering the disaster of the day before), pretty standard American theme park food. Without wanting to take out too much time, we then headed for Thunderhawk, a very old woodie. Again, it was walk on so we headed for the front row. It was a bit rough but felt very fast and I was almost standing up at the top of some of the hills due to the loose restraints. It was a very out of control ride, much better than I thought it’d be considering it is 90 years old.

We were going to go on the rapids next but on the way saw a train which we thought went all the way around the park but ended up being just a little oval passing near Talon and the rapids. I kind of wished we hadn’t gone on it before the rapids as otherwise we’d have gone on the rapids without knowing that this was in store:

Anyway we still wanted to ride it however wet we were going to get so joined the queue. Two very long switchbacks and about 40 mins later we were actually almost on. The long queue was down to two things: one – the rapids was the first ride you came to when coming from the waterpark and it looked like many people were having the morning in the waterpark and the afternoon in the theme park (your ticket is valid for both parks on the day); two – the operations were woeful. The operators were slow and were letting like 2 people ride in a boat that could seat 8.

Once we finally got on though, it was a cracking ride. We were in a boat with 3 others who had no idea what was about to happen (they got in our boat by accident, they were being lined up for the next round of boats but got in ours as there was space – if only the operators noticed things like that…) and there was great suspense climbing the lift.

I was the first under a waterfall and was suddenly soaked. One of the other guys said “I took one for the team” but nobody escaped it throughout the length of the ride. Everybody was drenched. I didn’t really mind it though considering the heat. I didn’t think I’d ever get wetter than on Bilge Rat Barges, I was wrong:

The park seemed to be getting busier in the afternoon as it was open until midnight so I guess some people would arrive later but stay later. We decided to kick back for a bit and have a funnel cake, which tastes like a doughnut but is a whole lot bigger. Would have ridden the shoot-the-chute but it was closed.

By now it was probably about 4 PM so we thought we best go and get on the remaining coasters. I wanted to go on the Wild Mouse but it had like an hour queue so thought stuff that.

We decided to go down to the bottom end of the park to ride Possessed and Stinger. I’d been on an Intamin impulse before (V2: Vertical Velocity at SFDK) and was really impressed so I was looking forward to this one.

After waiting about 20 minutes, we sat somewhere near the back of the train. The launches feel way too fast for the size of the spikes but I guess you forget how high they actually are. It is an awesome ride and I love how it holds you for a second on the back spike. Such a good coaster, the backwards launch feels insane.

We had a break for a few minutes before riding the second shuttle coaster: Stinger. I’d already ridden this as Invertigo at CGA and I thought it was a really good ride then so was hoping I’d still find it as good. The queue was about 20 minutes again, and we sat going backwards up the first lift in the middle of the train.

As we ascended we had a couple of American teenage lads facing us and they didn’t seem to realise it’d go backwards until we got to the top of the lift. Their faces as we dropped were hilarious. Really enjoyable ride I think, nice forceful loop but not really recommended for those who get sick on rides easily.

The last coaster to ride was the Wild Mouse but it still had a massive queue. I really couldn’t be bothered to wait for just a wild mouse so went to grab a re-ride on Hydra instead. I probably queued for about half an hour or so and got on the back row.

I don’t think it was quite as good as the front row ride but I loved the feeling of being flung over the first drop. It’s a really impressive ride.

By now the park was really busy and there was nothing else left that we wanted to ride and I wasn’t queuing for a wild mouse, so we decided to have a look at the merchandise. I got myself a Steel Force mug for $3! Guessing it was clearance or something. We called it a day and headed to the next hotel which was minutes from Dorney where I tried to dry my shoes which were still wet from the rapids!

Below is a short video of some clips I shot at the parks. Unfortunately I didn’t have much time to take many videos but I got some good ones of Talon in particular, so feel free to take a look:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57Z_qyJMDs8[/youtube]

Next up is NYC, complete with all the things the tour guides wanted us to take pictures of!

Hutch

Strata Poster
Great report. It's nice to see some people film some off ride shots.

I never really care for water rides that much. Would you say that they're worth doing? Even on a crowded day?

Brookes

Giga Poster
Personally I love water rides. After coasters, flumes and rapids are my favourite type of attraction. Especially if you're with family or quite a few friends, they end up being really fun and you have time to interact and enjoy them unlike on a coaster where it's over very soon.

Brookes

Giga Poster
^Would have been fun to go on it but I’m not a massive fan of flats in general; coasters and water rides were the priority.

The next part of the report covers day one in NYC. On the Sunday morning, we drove from our hotel to Newark airport where we dropped off the hire car and got a train to NY Penn station. Luckily a train arrived about two minutes after we turned up at the station. Penn station is directly below Madison Square Gardens so this was the first NY landmark I saw.

There’s something about New York and its architecture that makes you want to take photos of absolutely everything you see.

My first view of the Empire State!

We walked to the hotel, dropped our bags off and headed out to get some lunch. We ended up going to an Irish pub in Times Square where they had the Chelsea game on – the first reminder I’d had of home since we arrived.
I really like Times Square; I think it’s my favourite part of NY.

The famous Naked Cowboy.

Cool stuff everywhere.

After lunch we headed out and got ourselves some sightseeing bus tickets.

We did the downtown tour first, seeing places like Macy’s, the Empire State Building and the new World Trade Centre.

I think this oddly shaped building signals the start of the area Tribeca – literally triangle below canal (street).

Some of the buildings are just unbelievable.

Not to mention very, very high. Freedom Tower recently became the third tallest building in the world.

First view of the Manhattan bridge. The person in front of me almost got taken out by a traffic light trying to take a similar photo standing up.

The Chrysler building.

The Trump World Tower, an all-residential building.

There are just buildings everywhere.

The Rockefeller.

And more...

One for the Friends fans out there.

The last stop on the tour was conveniently right outside our hotel, so we headed back to check in and have a short break.

Soon after, we got on the uptown tour with the plan of getting off at the Dakota building where John Lennon used to live.

Where Lennon was shot.

Imagine memorial. It was so crowded here.

We stopped off for a drink and something to eat in Central Park. Some nice views here, very relaxed.

Rollerblade party in Central Park.

We then walked back to Times Square...

and had the evening meal at Hard Rock.

When we came out, it was hard to tell at first if it was actually dark or not due to the sheer amount of light coming off the buildings.

We headed back to the hotel to get some sleep after a long day. Next up is the final day in NY, where we went to the top of the Empire State, took a tour of the Hudson river and visited the 9/11 memorial.

Brookes

Giga Poster
We were up bright and early for the last day, checked out of the hotel, had a McDonalds breakfast then headed for the Empire State Building.

We got tickets that allowed us to go all the way to the top on the 102nd floor. Once we'd been through security and the like, the automatic lift took us to the 80th floor where there is a sort of museum of the construction and history of the building. At this point though, the windows are blocked out so you can't tell how high you are, but you can sort of feel the sway of the building. We then got the next lift to the 86th, which is the general observation level but we went straight to the lift for the 102nd floor before having a look outside. It was probably one of the oldest lifts I've been in and had to be operated manually. Once we got to the top we were met with spectacular views of the city in every direction.

On the top floor it is all inside and not very spacious, but there are these steps which allow you to look even further down to the floor below. I stood on it for like a second to take this photo, yikes!

After about 10 minutes, we'd had enough and went down to the outside observatory on the 86th floor.

The views are in a way even better from here because there is no glass in the way.

After a fun time taking some photos, we headed back inside to get the lift back down.

Included with the bus tickets we had bought was a ferry trip which we had planned to do at 11AM. We were too short on time to walk to the pier from the Empire State so got a yellow cab and got there just in time. We took the guide's advice and stood on the front of the boat for some amazing sights.

Believe it or not, this is in fact a driving range.

This is where the Titanic should have landed.

A fireboat dedicated to the firefighters who lost their lives in 9/11. I believe some of it is made from the remains of the towers.

The top middle apartment belongs to one Leonardo DiCaprio.

The Lincoln Tunnel.

Got some great shots of the financial district.

You can't beat a good bridge in my opinion.

Looking back at the Empire State.

All the tour guides liked to stress to us that this ferry ride is totally free.

The Verrazano-Narrows Bridge we passed over on the first day (no more bridges now I promise).

Statue of Liberty.

Got a bit carried away with the shots.

Frank Sinatra grew up over there somewhere.

After the ferry trip, we got on a bus to the World Trade Center. We had some lunch at a Pret a Manger (really nice, never been to one before) then had a walk down to the 9/11 memorial. First we had a look around the church in which the firefighters stayed during the aftermath.

It's a very moving place and really gives you an appreciation of the rescue operation.

It is right outside the new World Trade Center.

The memorial isn't open to the public just yet, but they allow so many people in there at a time to see it. You have to pick up a ticket for a certain time, which doesn't actually cost anything but they expect a donation of $5-10 per ticket. Once through 3 ticket checks and security, you get to see the amazing memorial.

It really is spectacular, and gives you an idea of the scale of the original towers. When all the construction is complete, it will look fantastic.

Once we'd finished looking around, we got a cab to Macy's. They're right - it is pretty big. A couple of us bought stuff then we headed back to the hotel to have a drink, do some present buying, grab our stuff and head to the airport to fly back to England.

Overall it was a fantastic few days with a good mix of theme parks and sightseeing. New York is as good as everyone says it is and I feel like we only touched the surface with a couple of days there, despite how much we saw. I'd love to go back and check out some of the other parks near there.

PeskyTrimBrake

Hyper Poster
Great Trip Report! I went to all those places in summer except Dorney Park. 2 days and more than 50 places to go, it was a hell of a trip!