What's new

SFDK | Superman Ultimate Flight|Premier Rides launch coaster

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Six Flags Discovery Kingdom Announces New Thrill Coaster in 2012 — SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight

New Thrill Coaster is Park’s First DC Comics-Themed Attraction

The familiar refrain, “It’s a bird, it’s a plane, it’s Superman!” will become part of Six Flags Discovery Kingdom’s lexicon with the official announcement today of the park’s exciting new roller coaster, SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight. The ride, created in a partnership between Six Flags Discovery Kingdom, Warner Bros. Consumer Products and DC Entertainment, is slated to open in spring 2012.

This one-of-a-kind super launch coaster features the tallest inversion west of the Mississippi and will rank alongside the tallest coaster inversions in the world. At 150 feet high, riders will experience lightning speeds of 62 miles per hour, with two upside-down twists and two vertical rolls over a track length of 863 feet.

“We’re excited to bring this caliber of ride to Discovery Kingdom,” said Dale Kaetzel, Park President. “Since we opened our super coaster Medusa in 2000, the public has been waiting for a ride to match that intensity. We believe that SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will satisfy even the most fearless thrill-seeker, and then some.”

As Discovery Kingdom’s first DC Comics-themed ride, the new addition is the perfect complement to the park’s unique collection of marine life, wildlife and wild rides. Thrill rides include the aforementioned Medusa, along with Kong, Roar, Vertical Velocity and Boomerang, and SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight’s addition solidifies Discovery Kingdom’s standing as Northern California’s best place to experience thrills of all kinds.

Brightly painted in Superman’s colors — vibrant blue, red and yellow — the steel coaster will be visible from Highway 37 and beyond from its location on the eastern side of the park. Construction on SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight will begin in early 2012.

SUPERMAN Ultimate Flight is being manufactured for Six Flags Six Flags Discovery Kingdom by Premier Rides.

Superman01_300dpi_8x10-400x320.jpg

Superman04_300dpi_8x10-400x320.jpg

michaellll

Mega Poster
Re: Superman Ultimate Flight, Premier Rides launch coaster,

I can't believe this is being made. Props to Premier for totally creating a new concept for them. Should be quite crazy. At first glance I'd much rather ride this than any of the similar style MS coasters.

Snoo

The Legend

This is the most unique thing to come out today. This ride is going to be such win. If only I lived in California.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alERcMKehe4[/youtube]

D1993

Hyper Poster

Im really absolutely loving this ride. The only thing that will suck is capacity. But otherwise this coaster is going to absolutely freaking rock.

Snoo

The Legend

Ooo BRoll looks even better. <3

Bottom_Feeder_13

Hyper Poster

HANG TIME!!!
Lovin' this ride already, got to plan a trip up north for 2012.

Thekingin64

Strata Poster

Whats the point of the breaks at the top? If you want it to go through the roll slower, launch slower and there's definatly no point in the breaks after the roll. The only point I can see in the breaks before the roll are trims like on Kingda Ka to stop roll backs but they just slow the car down, not stop it.

Other than that, this ride looks very fun especcially with the planned roll backs.

Jer

Strata Poster

That ride looks, amazing, and unique, Go Premier making a comeback!

Error

Strata Poster

Am I the only one thinking the capacity is going to be ****? I mean, 12 people for a ride like this and only one train.

Other than that, it's pretty damn creative and original!

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster

does someone know what the theoretical capacity is? I did some math and got around 550 people per hour which is just complete ****.

Xpress

Strata Poster

I forsee issue with the trim at the top...

I agree with low capacity issues too.

Intricks

Strata Poster
Re: Re: Superman Ultimate Flight, Premier Rides launch coast

Thekingin64 said:
Whats the point of the breaks at the top? If you want it to go through the roll slower, launch slower and there's definatly no point in the breaks after the roll. The only point I can see in the breaks before the roll are trims like on Kingda Ka to stop roll backs but they just slow the car down, not stop it.

Other than that, this ride looks very fun especcially with the planned roll backs.

The brakes are to slow you down so you experience hang time during the roll. The brakes after are that when you get released, you are literally launched out of your seat, as well as scare you like a dive machine cause you creep over the edge ever so slowly. Go watch some off-ride of Skyrocket at Kennywood and you will see what I mean.

Xpress, like what? Skyrocket does the same and I dont know of any issues it has had.

Switching between the hideouts'...

jjjjustin

Hyper Poster

^^ What do you think the issue would be anyway, cause I could see that stalling on the heart line roll.

tomahawk

Strata Poster

This looks amazing, but capacity will be a major issue. Wonder if they will end up doing the Mr. Freeze style duel station, but even then capacity will still be meh, and Six Flags would run both sides for 2 months then never touch it again.

Dave

CF Legend

This is fantastic, it's different to a Skywheel that's for sure! Small footprint, big thrills and will deliver for the park which is great to see. If the themeing is kept the same as the concept art it will be a great ride overall!

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator

Really neat concept. I could see this become popular with the crowds...

...though most people won't get to ride it twice a day. For the first season, I think its popularity will exceed its capacity.

Also, what a great way to make a ride with so little footprint. I can imagine many smaller or cramped parks wanting to buy this. It appears to be less power-requiring than an Impulse coaster, with less complex mechanisms than the ZacSpins*. A good middle option.

*That is, the trains and possibly brake systems. The launch is a complex mechanism after all.

Uncle Arly

Strata Poster

I love this. It's such a cool concept, and provides a more filling, lengthy and exciting ride than an inverted impulse.

Inverse

Hyper Poster

This looks really interesting. If it rides as smooth as the video suggests it will it could be great. I love the look of the twist out of the loop and into the station!

The trim at the top seems pretty severe, but I guess that without it the train will exit the twist and go into the loop too fast. Also, a near stop should heighten the tension of doing the in line twist nicely.

Ben

CF Legend

I... What are you all on? It looks **** crap.

Wow, it launches you really slow into brakes... Then you drop with... brakes. It looks stupid, gimmicky for the sake of it, and just retarded. There's a REASON stuff like this hasn't been built before, because it's retarded. Whatever happened to building a good coaster and just letting it sell itself? This looks like it'll be a gimmicky waste of space that has no capacity whatsoever... It's basically the best thing since an El Loco, an X Car would have been loads better.

And Arly, to slate their Impulse when you haven't been on it (/any)... Their Impulse is freakin' insane, it's miles better than this piece of crap will be.