What's new

SeaWorld San Diego | Emperor | B&M Dive Coaster | 2022

Rupert

Mega Poster
Also the second iteration of the vests, like on Valkyria, don’t progressively lock like the first gen set did so you’re not as pinned in your seat. There’s not the freedom the OTSRs had (strangely), but you can still feel good airtime. I don’t think they impact Valkyria negatively, but if I recall I was a bit more pinned in on Valravn and Gatekeeper.

Does anyone have a full list of which B&Ms were installed with the early locking vests, like The Swarm, and which came after with a bit more freedom? I’m trying to think back and can’t remember most (Baron for example), which suggests to me the difference between them isn’t necessarily very noticeable anyway.

Owen

Roller Poster
The more I look at this coaster the more I seem to like it l’s layout. It’s reminiscent of some of the Gerstlauer layouts out there which as far as I’m concerned is a great thing.

The trains are debatable, not sure I’m into the colour scheme or the ‘innovative’ vest restraints (which [a variation of at least] have been around for 18 years now). I’m yet to experience a dive with the vest restraints but slapping a type of restraint designed to stop you from moving too much in your seat onto a coaster where part of the thrill is the feeling of sliding into the restraint when hanging over the signature element has never sat well with me.

Much like comfort collars on Premier coasters, it seems like an unnecessary evil.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Here is a video from the construction tour today by Parks Bros:-

Unfortunately, it has been confirmed that the coaster will only run 2 trains, with a throughput of around 800 pph. This is quite disappointing, as all the other 6-across dive coasters which are of a similar, some if not on a smaller scale than this, run 3 trains. SeaWorld mustn't have felt like forking out the extra cash.

Pear

Strata Poster
Here is a video from the construction tour today by Parks Bros:-

Unfortunately, it has been confirmed that the coaster will only run 2 trains, with a throughput of around 800 pph. This is quite disappointing, as all the other 6-across dive coasters which are of a similar, some if not on a smaller scale than this, run 3 trains. SeaWorld mustn't have felt like forking out the extra cash.
SWSD doesn't get that busy so the 2 trains will be perfectly fine.

Catmaydo

Roller Poster
The more I look at this coaster the more I seem to like it l’s layout. It’s reminiscent of some of the Gerstlauer layouts out there which as far as I’m concerned is a great thing.

The trains are debatable, not sure I’m into the colour scheme or the ‘innovative’ vest restraints (which [a variation of at least] have been around for 18 years now). I’m yet to experience a dive with the vest restraints but slapping a type of restraint designed to stop you from moving too much in your seat onto a coaster where part of the thrill is the feeling of sliding into the restraint when hanging over the signature element has never sat well with me.

Much like comfort collars on Premier coasters, it seems like an unnecessary evil.
They're really not *that* bad. I never once felt aggresively pinned into my seat by the vest on Yukon Striker. My only complaint is that I wish the side/connecting bars were positioned less obtrusively like Vekoma's vests.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
It isn't that vest restraints are so bad, so much as the B&M clamshells are so good. Or at least, at 6'2", I've experience the vest restraints to be fine enough, but no moreso improved over the original design. The bigger bummer, I would argue, is losing 2 additional seats per row on the larger dives (Valravn vs. Griffon/Sheikra), which crimps capacity; though this isn't a factor on the smaller dives.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
I loved the newer restraint type on Valkyria... Comfortable and not restrictive. However on one random ride they dropped my shoulders onto the hard bar through the final inversion, which hurt a bit... I’m tall and heavy though, so doubt it would be a common occurrence.

Ah, looks like the people who bet sooner rather than later might be on to something ?

Is betting still open? I’ll have a fiver on “By Sunday evening”

Crazycoaster

Giga Poster
But it also means the trains can do a lot tighter manoeuvres, and with the third row, you’re not missing out on extra capacity to the 8 x 2 models.

Trax

Hyper Poster
In addition, they usually use harder wheels on the train for the first testing, which increase noise and speed.

ScottLann

Mega Poster
The way their opening dates are looking, I could see Pantheon opening in February. Seems they could be opening a new coaster in each of their SW and BG parks for each month (Feb-March)

February - Ice Breaker & Pantheon
March - Iron Gwazi & Emperor

Should give them a good boost at the start of 2022 both financially and for crowds.