What's new

SeaWorld San Diego | Arctic Rescue | Intamin Family Launch Coaster | 2023

Matt N

CF Legend
It would seem that SeaWorld San Diego are replacing Wild Arctic with a new Arctic-themed experience in 2021. They've said that it will be under 30ft tall, and they have also indicated that the Penguin Encounter may be refurbished. Here's what Lance from Screamscape had to say about it:
Screamscape said:
2021 - Wild Arctic Ride Replacement / Penguin Encounter Update - Rumor - (3/22/19) According to the local news SeaWorld San Diego is looking into ideas to replace the park’s Wild Arctic simulator attraction. A park spokesperson confirmed that after 25-years of service, they are looking to “replace the ride experience at the attraction” with a new kind of arctic themed ride, but one that will be lower than 30 feet in height. Little else was revealed other than that this project is something they are planning for 2021.
Previous rumors had indicated that the park may have been planning to also renovate the park’s Penguin Encounter this same year, which sits across the plaza from the entrance to Wild Arctic. If this plan is still in the works, it would likely see the animal exhibit completely renovated, much like what was done in Orlando… but without the costly dark ride experience that was added in Florida.
Fun note… going way way back to the time I spent at this park, there was one a dream of creating some kind of attraction that could sit between the Penguin Encounter and Wild Arctic, that could offer two different experience, one that would offer a trip to the south pole and unload guests at the Penguin Encounter while the other would be a trip to the north pole, dropping guests off inside Wild Arctic. It is also worth mentioning that while the park says it is time to replace the ride… this could be misleading as the sister attraction built at SeaWorld Orlando is a few years older and still operational.
In my opinion, this is very promising news for the park, but I'm not sure what the replacement could be! I'm thinking some sort of dark ride, but I could also see an enclosed coaster. What do you guys think?
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/seaworld_california.htm

tomahawk

Strata Poster
It would seem that SeaWorld San Diego are replacing Wild Arctic with a new Arctic-themed experience in 2021. They've said that it will be under 30ft tall, and they have also indicated that the Penguin Encounter may be refurbished. Here's what Lance from Screamscape had to say about it:

In my opinion, this is very promising news for the park, but I'm not sure what the replacement could be! I'm thinking some sort of dark ride, but I could also see an enclosed coaster. What do you guys think?
P.S. Here's the Screamscape link: http://www.screamscape.com/html/seaworld_california.htm
How are you always so positive?

Dark ride. Next.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
Another roller coaster? Have SeaWorld turned into 2000s Six Flags or something?

In all seriousness, SeaWorld are going crazy right now!
Not really. Sea World has had a significant increase in attendance in addition to an enormous increase in stock price. Essentially, SEAS corporate put together a darn good business plan in the wake of Blackfish, and investors and guests alike are responding positively to it.

Matt N

CF Legend
Not really. Sea World has had a significant increase in attendance in addition to an enormous increase in stock price. Essentially, SEAS corporate put together a darn good business plan in the wake of Blackfish, and investors and guests alike are responding positively to it.
I suppose SWO rose by 16% in 2018 and SWSD rose by 20% according to the TEA attendance report, so their strategy is clearly working!

I wonder if SeaWorld San Diego will use the name "Ice Breaker" for this, since it's another family launch coaster in an Arctic themed area just like the 2020 coaster for SeaWorld Orlando.
That's definitely a possibility yes. Tbf I really wouldn't mind them using it cause it fits with the Arctic theme. If they were to change it slightly, then it could be one word, "Icebreaker"

Lofty

CF Legend
If it's anything like the Floridian counterpart, it's definitely in need of a rehaul or removal. Fingers crossed the same thing happens for the East-Coaster counterpart.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
If it's anything like the Floridian counterpart, it's definitely in need of a rehaul or removal. Fingers crossed the same thing happens for the East-Coaster counterpart.
I think Wild Arctic's replacement at SeaWorld Orlando is looming, as Ice Breaker now fills the role of a signature attraction for that area of the park, and Wild Arctic is next to the new and popular Sesame Street Land - meaning that it's prime real estate for a Sesame Street-themed dark ride, if SeaWorld chooses to retain the building.

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
I like the concept of wild arctic, (only been to SWO) always felt it was quite immersive but the ride and exhibits definitely need updating. Would rather see something of a similar theme but an upgrade (kinda like how they kept with the penguin theme for Antarctica) to fit in with ice breaker to make a nice cohesive area. The sesame street dark ride at PA is good but the area at SWO looks quite large already. Interesting.