What's new

SeaWorld San Antonio | Catapult Falls | Launched Flume Ride | 2024

Inverting_Thrills

Mega Poster
When it comes to a debate like this where something is arguably a coaster my opinion is simple: if this ride feels like a log flume, it's a log flume. If it feels like a coaster, then it's a coaster.

davidm

Strata Poster
^^ ...and those water park launched slide things... they are often described (in the marketing) as water coasters 🤣

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
So this is a coaster then, by RCDB rules, as the hill after the second drop is not part of the main drop. The track clearly reaches ground level (maybe even below) before ascending the airtime hill, thus it coasts, uphill, on a seperate airtime hill. 🤷‍♂️

If they're classing that as part of the main drop then how many air time hills do count? Is Shambhala's first air time hill 'part of the main drop?' what about the second hill?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
So this is a coaster then, by RCDB rules, as the hill after the second drop is not part of the main drop. The track clearly reaches ground level (maybe even below) before ascending the airtime hill, thus it coasts, uphill, on a seperate airtime hill. 🤷‍♂️
Oh yeah, I think it definitely coasts uphill on a separate element to the first drop. I'm saying that I don't think that's enough to make it a coaster. See: Chaipas and Dudley's.

It's a log flume with coaster-like elements, not a coaster with log-flume-like elements.

To me, anyway.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Oh yeah, I think it definitely coasts uphill on a separate element to the first drop. I'm saying that I don't think that's enough to make it a coaster. See: Chaipas and Dudley's.

It's a log flume with coaster-like elements, not a coaster with log-flume-like elements.

To me, anyway.
I wouldn’t count it. Just because I’d feel a little dirty. But I can definitely understand why Seaworld, or any goon, would consider it a coaster.

Saying it doesn’t look, or feel, like a coaster is fine for making our own personal decisions. But the line is way too blurry to make a clear cut definition. There’s very little difference between this and something like Atlantis.

My own take is, it’s as much of a coaster as many other things often counted, thus I’m happy to consider it a coaster, but I won’t be counting it, just like some don’t count powered coasters, or other water coasters.

Last edited:

davidm

Strata Poster
If the uphill bit is immediately after the drop I think that's the point about "part of the drop" - the supersplashes that are included all have that other dip and coast section pre-main drop.

(I'm probably paraphrasing the (arbitrary) rules by saying "part of the drop" - it may be expressed differently in Duane's brain, not sure I've seen "the rules" written down)

Anyway, its still a flume.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Saying it doesn’t look, or feel, like a coaster is fine for making our own personal decisions. But the line is way too blurry to make a clear cut definition.
Oh of course - I think this is part of the interesting debate!

Thankfully I'm in a position to decide where the thread lives on the forum and in the "Other Rides" section it will be. ;)

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Thankfully I'm in a position to decide where the thread lives on the forum and in the "Other Rides" section it will be. ;)

Alternatively you could make a 'Log Flume and Water Coaster' section and avoid all the debate, right? 😉

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Oh of course - I think this is part of the interesting debate!

Oh er… Get you 😂😂😂

I wasn’t the one questioning that, so climb down fella ;)

I’ve got a nice pin especially for you 🙈😂

F9A81DCD-D261-4F76-9B11-A825A44B93AC.jpeg

(Hope you take this with all the fun it was intended with 😘)

Last edited:

Matt N

CF Legend
Perhaps we should merge “Roller Coaster Construction” and “Other Ride Construction” into one big “Ride Construction” board?

It would remove any grey areas about where to put topics, and it likely wouldn’t make the coaster construction board much more cluttered anyway, as I’ve noticed that “Other Ride Construction” has been lacking traffic somewhat in recent years… rightly or wrongly, quite a few non-coasters seem to be covered in News & Rumours these days rather than getting migrated to the “Other Ride Construction” board.

Dar

Hyper Poster
The mods don't have much power as it is Matt, don't take this morsel of authority away from them too! /s

RCDB does list Atlantica at EP, so I guess it comes down to how much "track" is involved in the hill after the launch Vs just a trough with upstops

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Perhaps we should merge “Roller Coaster Construction” and “Other Ride Construction” into one big “Ride Construction” board?

It would remove any grey areas about where to put topics, and it likely wouldn’t make the coaster construction board much more cluttered anyway, as I’ve noticed that “Other Ride Construction” has been lacking traffic somewhat in recent years… rightly or wrongly, quite a few non-coasters seem to be covered in News & Rumours these days rather than getting migrated to the “Other Ride Construction” board.
Matt I ‘think’ most people’s comments in here are tongue in cheek banter… I don’t think anybody actually cares where a random thread about a log fl… I mean coaster at Sea World is located.

There’s always going to be this debate when it comes to lots of tracked rides. And honestly, I love it :)

Has anybody ever noticed the little note at the bottom of the Blackpool Pleasure Beach page on RCDB??? Looks like even Duane just can’t be arsed to define some things with any certainty. (Or he got fed up with being asked why it wasn’t listed!) 🙈😂

Matt N

CF Legend
Has anybody ever noticed the little note at the bottom of the Blackpool Pleasure Beach page on RCDB??? Looks like even Duane just can’t be arsed to define some things with any certainty. (Or he got fed up with being asked why it wasn’t listed!) 🙈😂
I didn’t notice that until you pointed it out… I remember Ghost Train did briefly have a page, but clearly Duane didn’t think that the evidence was strong enough to keep it listed as a coaster.

I bet he finds it difficult to differentiate in these grey areas, and rides like this one are only making that differentiation more difficult!