What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Pipeline: The Surf Coaster | B&M Surf Coaster | 2023

cookie

Giga Poster
I guess I'm gonna go against the grain and say that I find this much more interesting than it being a standard multi-launch coaster. It would've likely paled in comparison to Velocicoaster down the road anyhow, so why not give people a ride experience unique to all of Florida if you're going for it? If they can make it more comfortable than the previous iterations, I could see it being a win for the park.

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Steel Dragon 2000, while obviously not a B&M-designed coaster, has two-wide B&M trains (below). I also wonder if @Nicky Borrill might have been referring to the flanked trains on hypers such as Behemoth and Shambhala as they have a pseudo two-wide formation.

View attachment 17994

Photo by Ric Turner via RCDB.
Do you mean @CrashCoaster? Wasn't me that mentioned 2 across in this thread.

I have previously mentioned my preference for the staggered rows on Shambhala over the Straight rows of Silver Star though. :)

Indy

Hyper Poster
Do you mean @CrashCoaster? Wasn't me that mentioned 2 across in this thread.

I have previously mentioned my preference for the staggered rows on Shambhala over the Straight rows of Silver Star though. :)
Yeah, I generally goofed on that entire post as I missed that it was already covered on the previous page. Tried to delete the post upon realization but I guess I was a little slow. 😬

Nicky Borrill

Strata Poster
Yeah, I generally goofed on that entire post as I missed that it was already covered on the previous page. Tried to delete the post upon realization but I guess I was a little slow. 😬
Sorry, I haven't been online much lately either, guess it was just bad luck that I happened to be on when the notification popped up.

As a side note to get us back on topic, I saw the preview for this finally yesterday, I think it looks exciting.

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Change of subject but I think the new sit-down seat design B&M patented recently that raises and lowers is also for the Surf Coaster. My guess is that parks have the choice between stand-up and sit-down trains (in case the park is against the idea of a stand-up) so B&M could still potentially sell the product. Essentially what I'm trying to say is, the Surf Coaster comes in two variants.

Bathtub Gin

Roller Poster
B&M stand-up's are great. Glad to see they're back and maybe people will learn to actually put the restraint correctly and stop complaining about them.

Ethan's view I get though.
This. It's really not that difficult. On the OG Stand-Ups, bend your knees a little and sit on the bike seat before it locks so that it's a little lower. After it locks, stand up straight, and you have the clearance you need to prevent nut bashing. I thought that was common sense. I feel like people just like talking about their nuts, though.

Glad to finally see this type coming back. It'll definitely be different, and I'm guessing the layouts/elements will be drawn out and nowhere near as intense. Their first-gen Stand-Ups were the most intense type B&M built.

Gazza

Giga Poster
The problem with standups is that the seat rising mechanism was quite forceful so lighter riders would not have the strength to keep it down enough prior to locking, or worse they get hopelessly picked up.

On another note, if the cars are 2x2 seating would it be possible they might do a drifting mechanism to give more of a surf feel.
I recall premier tried this at one point.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
The problem with standups is that the seat rising mechanism was quite forceful so lighter riders would not have the strength to keep it down enough prior to locking, or worse they get hopelessly picked up.
I'm quite a small guy and don't weigh very much, I never found this to be an issue.

Christian

Hyper Poster
I'm not a small guy and never felt the stand-up to be an issue in that department. Whenever I ride one I make sure it locks a tad bit under my balls so that it wont be uncomfortable. I'm just not such a big fan of standing up on coasters. While Riddler at SFMM is among my favourite coasters I still think it would be better as a floorless. That's why I always say to relocate Scream to a park that will love it and convert Riddler to a floorless.

Don't see how this new standing style is any different from the old one (except for the 2 across part). It still looks really constrained and just meh.

cocoa

Mega Poster
I guess next-gen standup is kind of disappointing, but I may be in the minority that actually enjoyed standup coasters. I loved riddler's and even got a good kick out of the togo one at yomiuriland. (didn't like mantis though...). the train design may have been controversial but something about facing down into a big drop standing up was a pretty exciting feeling. if they can make the trains comfy, this will probably be fun. maybe not world shattering, but fun

opivy028

Mega Poster
I mean... if all you wanted was to sit, you might as well have picked the nearest park bench. And surely you would know what type of ride it is before you go on it? 🤷‍♂️
I dunno, cookie, I paid all that money and now the amusement park is gonna make me use my legs instead of a cozy luxurious seat? What am I, some kinda sucker?

/s 😘😉

Matt N

CF Legend
I’ve got to say, I’m excited for this!

Having ridden Shockwave at Drayton Manor last week, I’m actually of the controversial opinion that while a bit weird, the standing riding position isn’t abhorrent in itself, and a really fun ride could be made out of it!

Also, I have a huge amount of faith in B&M. Recent history suggests that their new models are rarely duds, so why should the Surf Coaster be any different?

If the Surf Coaster maintains a similarly convoluted loading procedure to the older standups, however, I do wonder whether the model would benefit from a dual station like many of the B&M flyers have to increase capacity. Shockwave, which is a standup coaster with the same number of riders per train as this will have, was achieving around 300pph, or a train every 4.5 minutes, on my recent Drayton visit. Even with 2 trains like this will have, that would only equate to 600pph tops; I think SeaWorld would likely need higher capacity than that.

I’m guessing SeaWorld has thought of that, though, so who am I to question?

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I've ummed and ahhed about splitting this thread or just moving the whole thing.

There's a lot of pre-SeaWorld stuff in here, but it's hard (based on a few mins scrubbing through the thread) to work out where the natural break point would be. Rumours have been going on for a long time.

So sod it, I'm moving the whole thing and this will now be the official SeaWorld Surf Coaster thread. If one of the other mods has more patience to go and split this up and move the rumours bit back, more power to them, otherwise it's all staying together. :)

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Just been catching up with and surprised that some people are shocked that this turned out to be a stand-up.

While I'm hardly booking my tickets now, I think it's interesting to try and bring them back with a better design.

If nothing else, it's yet another fairly major +1 in Orlando for when I finally manage to get back there.

Niles

Giga Poster
Foundations are going in, Midway Mayhem has taken a bunch of great photos of the site, here are just a few:
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
Source: