Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Oh cool.... like DarKastle? Rad.

giphy.gif

Howie

Donkey in a hat

Now that is interesting. Is this new information? It says the patent was filed in July 2020, how come it's taken til now to become public?
Anyways, the interesting part is not so much the new overhead lap bar, but those funky seat mountings that allow the seats to rise and fall. What's that about then I wonder? Could it be that this new fangled Surf Coaster is simply a more advanced take on traditional sit-down coaster trains? 'World's First Coaster With Active Suspension', maybe? Merlin could market that, easy!
I dunno, it's raising more questions than it answers, that tweet. Could it be a way of enhancing the sensation of airtime? Think about it, when you crest a big camelback and your bum rises off the seat, what if the seat itself rises up with you? Would that enhance the airtime, or kill it? I really don't know. 🤔
But it's got me thinking, that's for sure.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
'World's First Coaster With Active Suspension', maybe? Merlin could market that, easy!

Though the suggestion here is really rather different, isn't this what - at heart - Mack tried to do with their E-Motion coasters?

Of course, they failed miserably, only ever sold 2 and the currently operating one is rubbish, so not a big thing. But that doesn't stop annoying geeks like me pointing out it wouldn't technically be a world's first ;)

Spoon

Roller Poster
Now that is interesting. Is this new information? It says the patent was filed in July 2020, how come it's taken til now to become public?

Yeah, patents take a long time from their initial filing to being published for public viewing - this patent was just published on January 6th so it wasn’t accessible before that.

And to your other points - if this patent really is related to the “Surf Coaster” my best guess is what others have been speculating all along - that the product is just B&M’s version of a multi-launch coaster with these new, modern trains that offer an ultra comfortable ride.

Changa

Mega Poster
Though the suggestion here is really rather different, isn't this what - at heart - Mack tried to do with their E-Motion coasters?

Of course, they failed miserably, only ever sold 2 and the currently operating one is rubbish, so not a big thing. But that doesn't stop annoying geeks like me pointing out it wouldn't technically be a world's first ;)
I wouldn't say the E-Motion rides count as they had sprung cars to roll around corners and any dampening was incidental. The setup uses the same components but configured for a different function.

However, I think the various Antelope coasters DO have a sprung chassis to help with roughness. Though there's still a case to be made about the individual seats and use of dampers.

RcTmix

Mega Poster
It remains to be seen what these seats will do for airtime, but I’m also curious what they could do about rattle

Jared

Hyper Poster
just me or does that track look smaller for a B&M track? Maybe that Intamin inspiration rumor is true.

^ Could be for a Family Wing Coaster, perhaps that’s has smaller track? Not sure on the colours for Chessington’s coaster, so it’s possible that it could be for them, but I’d say more likely for Seaworld.