What's new

SeaWorld Orlando | Ice Breaker | Premier Rides Custom Sky Rocket | 2022

Matthew Fair

Mega Poster
But that's what it is, so...

There are three models of Sky Rocket, the Superman clone you're used to seeing pop up everywhere is just one of those models. Custom Sky Rockets (of different models) include Full Throttle and Sky Rocket at KW.
Ah I see, apologies. I thought the only sort of skyrocket was the Tigris one

bob_3_

Giga Poster
If there wasn't so much talk about this being a sky rocket and there being plans, that whole marketing video points towards a dive coaster.

It's got all the tropes of a dive coaster marketing video. The words "plunging" and height is emphasised. It seems to hint towards a predatory bird which usually hunt by diving (hence why there's ALOT of dive coasters themed around birds.. SheiKra, Valkyria, Valravn even Yukon Striker. Then the fact that we're seeing Mako in San Diego, and some chains enjoy buying rides in bulk. PLUS it even does a vertical dive into the sea at the end of the video.

I'm not saying that's happening, and with SheiKra close by it wouldn't make the most sense. But If I was to predict on this project on that video alone... I would put money on a dive.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
If there wasn't so much talk about this being a sky rocket and there being plans, that whole marketing video points towards a dive coaster.

It's got all the tropes of a dive coaster marketing video. The words "plunging" and height is emphasised. It seems to hint towards a predatory bird which usually hunt by diving (hence why there's ALOT of dive coasters themed around birds.. SheiKra, Valkyria, Valravn even Yukon Striker. Then the fact that we're seeing Mako in San Diego, and some chains enjoy buying rides in bulk. PLUS it even does a vertical dive into the sea at the end of the video.

I'm not saying that's happening, and with SheiKra close by it wouldn't make the most sense. But If I was to predict on this project on that video alone... I would put money on a dive.
But what if Premier has come up with a model that both launches into a tophat-like element where the train is held for some secons, like a DM would do? This would hit two births with one stone.

If I recall properly, Sky Rocket sort of does this, and to some extend the SRII as well. Intamin seems to incoporate this feature in the Parc Asterix swing launcher as well...

Niles

Giga Poster
What name do you all think its gonna have?

I got from the teaser it will be an Antarctic bird of prey maybe, best name to me would be jaeger if its an Antarctic bird. Also hope its themed to an ice cave or something like that.

bob_3_

Giga Poster
But what if Premier has come up with a model that both launches into a tophat-like element where the train is held for some secons, like a DM would do? This would hit two births with one stone.

If I recall properly, Sky Rocket sort of does this, and to some extend the SRII as well. Intamin seems to incoporate this feature in the Parc Asterix swing launcher as well...

I was thinking that, but the main focus of these rides is the launch. Why would they promote based on "plummeting" and "height" when the ride's main selling point is it's launch. Many people have said a launch coaster would round off Sea World's line up well, so why arn't they hinting towards that?! It confuses me.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
Ah I see, apologies. I thought the only sort of skyrocket was the Tigris one
That would be the Sky Rocket II. As far as I know, Kennywood's Sky Rocket was the prototype (Sky Rocket I, if you want), followed by the improved SRII which has been a very successful off-the-shelf model for its size. Full Throttle at SFMM is considered a further evolution of the SRII concept, so it's sometimes known as a "Sky Rocket III". That moniker isn't used much, however, as there hasn't been much of a reason to. Maybe if the SWO coaster is somewhat like Full Throttle, even if not anywhere near a clone, we can call the coaster type an SRIII. But even so, "Premier launch coaster" would probably be easier for everyone.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
That would be the Sky Rocket II. As far as I know, Kennywood's Sky Rocket was the prototype (Sky Rocket I, if you want), followed by the improved SRII which has been a very successful off-the-shelf model for its size. Full Throttle at SFMM is considered a further evolution of the SRII concept, so it's sometimes known as a "Sky Rocket III". That moniker isn't used much, however, as there hasn't been much of a reason to. Maybe if the SWO coaster is somewhat like Full Throttle, even if not anywhere near a clone, we can call the coaster type an SRIII. But even so, "Premier launch coaster" would probably be easier for everyone.
From a product line standpoint, this is how it's broken down on their website.

MakoMania

Mega Poster
In terms of the video reminding people of a dive coaster, the ride will feature a slowing magnet at the top of a top-hat which will give the illusion of holding above a very steep drop much like on a dive coaster.

It's going to be such a weird coaster.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
If that's accurate, I think it looks pretty great! The whole lot after the big hill looks really cool.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Mate it’s two hills and a turnaround!

I think that looks really crap, can’t follow up one of the best B&M Hypers with this!
While the layout post-launches is rather disappointingly short, I'm very sure that it will pack a punch. The double down looks to prove some serious ejector air if comfort collars aren't involved, and the top of the overbank (or perhaps it could be the ride's inversion, a sidewinder, as Midway Mayhem noted in their analysis) looks to be a nice hangtime moment before the train races back towards the station. The quadruple launch sequence, though, will seriously increase the ride time; I'm sure it will feel much longer on-ride than it does from an unofficial layout!

Ben

CF Legend
While the layout post-launches is rather disappointingly short, I'm very sure that it will pack a punch. The double down looks to prove some serious ejector air if comfort collars aren't involved, and the top of the overbank (or perhaps it could be the ride's inversion, a sidewinder, as Midway Mayhem noted in their analysis) looks to be a nice hangtime moment before the train races back towards the station. The quadruple launch sequence, though, will seriously increase the ride time; I'm sure it will feel much longer on-ride than it does from an unofficial layout!

Shame those quadruple launches are rubbish and even without comfort collars that it will likely have, the ankle restraints will see that there’s no fun air!

bob_3_

Giga Poster
I think it looks perfect.... for a small park.

Yeah if the animation is completely accurate (props to whoever made it, some beautiful NL2 work there) then it's quite bland. Sure it'll be fun, but Ben put it perfectly, this follows a world class B&M Hyper. It looks like a family coaster in comparison.

It's not even that original with Tigris rocking the swing launch close by. They've just launched a big family investment with the rapids, 2020 is the perfect slot to build their follow up to Mako, and with most the Florida parks really stepping up their game at the moment and I just don't feel this coaster would cut it.

Still kinda hoping it's a B&M Dive.. a big white arctic one <3. I KNOW there are plans, and I'm not suggesting they're fake (coz thats stupid) but a lot of parks do draft up many options before they finalise the product.

Reactions: Ben

roomraider

Best Topic Starter
It looks like a family coaster in comparison.

Thats kind of the point.
As I've mentioned before. Thats exactly what this is. Its a family thrill coaster to fill the massive almost unforgiveable hole in SWO's line up.
This was never meant to be a thrilling follow up to the big B&Ms.

Think its a really fills the niche that SWO needed this to fill. Something between the kiddie coaster and the big B&Ms for the thrill ride liking younger (see shorter) guests to ride.

EthanCoaster

Mega Poster
Honestly, I think it looks too thrilling for that gap. I think something like Wavebreaker or Manta in San Diego would have filled the void better. Harder to market though I suppose.