What's new

"SAW - The Ride" - Eurofighter for Thorpe Park

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
On the article on the front page it says this ride will have the steepest drop in the world at 100 degrees.

Isn't Steel Hawg's 120 degrees or something?

Infernus

Hyper Poster
Yeah, But if you look at Steel Hawgs drop it's not a freefall. The drop has a magnetic brake, which means its a controlled drop.

Personally, with the thoughts going through my head they can pull this off. With, like a pre-show idea, or stopping people from entering the building and allowing them to enter in small groups and have like 'boobie traps' for other rooms.

But alas, as some of you all should know. Time will tell.

Ben

CF Legend
^It's braked though, so technically they can get away calling that not a drop.

Same with Screamin' Squirrels which technically drop at 180 degrees. Well, "descend", shall we say?

And this ride's in the hands of someone called CANDY? OMG. More fail, I didn't think it was possible.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Ben said:
And this ride's in the hands of someone called CANDY? OMG. More fail, I didn't think it was possible.

She also did the creative development for Stealth, Air and Oblivion.

I think she's a safe pair of hands tbh.

I'm confident it'll be pretty good.

Ben

CF Legend
I'll give you Oblivion.

But, there was something creative about Stealth and Air?

Must have missed that.

Still, she's called Candy... That's a stripper name.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
Ian said:
Ben said:

She also did the creative development for Stealth, Air and Oblivion.

I think she's a safe pair of hands tbh.

I'm confident it'll be pretty good.

Erm, you mean one out of three which was any good Ian? ;)

What do you really remember about the theming or development around air or Stealth which was in any way actually good.

Both rides kind of sold themselves, there's nothing more around them.

Oblivion is different mind, and the concept around that is actually pretty cool. I'm imagining this will have more of the Oblivion kind of feel - only much darker. Fingers crossed.

[edit] Ben beat me to it :(

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
I think themeing a ride to Saw is a big mistake although the public are going to piss themselves because it's ''related to the film''.

Ormerod

Hyper Poster
How can you tell when they haven't themed it yet? I only said that I think it's a mistake them themeing the ride around Saw.

Jools

Giga Poster
Mmmm. this ride was eye candy when I went yesterday (well the drop and immelmann were).

Saw-The Ride is okay, not what I would have picked

Nemesis Inferno

Strata Poster
Sigh...

Although this could probably look good, the theme idea is bum...

As Chris said, I can see some form of pre-show a la Dark Knight, maybe with people within traps or sommat as Jigsaw taunts you...

I haven't seen the SAW films, and never have wanted to... And it really depresses me somewhat that what could've been sommat original and a back on form (Mutiny Bay in my eyes was a very good investment) for Thorpe as well as Alton was personally what I wanted...

Shame we ain't getting that...

NickkyG

Mega Poster
^ Saw the original film isn't too bad, i quite enjoyed it.

The sequels are purely money-making gore fests though.

Ingested Banjo

Mega Poster
My friend told me in school he knew what the ride would be called. After he told me I was just like NOOOOO

But what would make a really great coaster called Saw is if they had a splitting coaster (if they are in real life instead of just on RCT3) and have a massive blade that comes down and slices the train in half.

Fingers crossed for uber headchoppers...

Dave

CF Legend
I'm not a fan of the name not because of the film it backs, because it might not have longevity. Meaning it might run dry within a few years if the film franchise does as well. Thus leaving Thorpe stuck with a ride thats not got a sponsor, but I suppose its been backed up.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I've been giving this some thought...

We have to remember PR speak.

1. Spinball Whizzer is an interactive Pinball table with you as the ball.

2. Stealth is an exciting drag race through 1950's Americana - complete with grand stands.

3. air is a flight through an oasis of calm and tranquility.

4. Oblivion is a terrifying drop into nothingness. A taught experience into the unknown and unknowable.

The end product is a little different.

1. Spinball Whizzer is a bland family coaster with a few large silver balls on some grass.

2. Stealth is a coaster plonked in the middle of of some tarmac, with a queue around a swampy bog.

3. air is a coaster complete with concrete bunker, views over the car park and chav spit on the floor.

4. Oblivion is a concrete building with some cool videos playing by the sweetie machine.

So, what will SAW be? The most horrific ride yet?

I reckon it will be: Dark queueline in a wooden building. Monitors every so often pop to life with a vague story from the puppet about how you have wasted youir life and this is you punishment.

Queue line meanders, more videos, perhaps some lighting effects for 'atmosphere'.

You get on the ride, more laughter/videos. The inside bit maybe has a bit of interactive theming (maybe a buzzsaw blade moving idly by the car which 'dives' out of the way). Then out in the open and the ride is just a bog standard ride.

Anyone else here think this is most likely due to all of the budget going on a movie license? ;)

Ben

CF Legend
I also wish more people would realise the Saw films have very little to do with saws...

Especially big mill saws like the ones seen in... oh, the artwork *sigh*.

Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but the only saws featured are the hacksaws in the first one, and the brain saw in the third? I think I'm getting mixed up in my mind with Hostel about another saw... regardless, point stands.

I think the name has more to do with the fact it's JigSAW. And maybe the fact the hacksaws are important in the first.

Anyway, so I do HOPE there's no "giant saws". That would be pointless. And defeat the idea of Saw.

However, this is Thorpe. So I imagine there will be giant, "I belong on Valhalla" saws.

Oh, it also means the saw mill is still totally out of place.

No buzzsaws or I'll be tempted to put my face on a real one.

That was a bit random. I do apologise.

Mike

Giga Poster
Having never seen any of the Saw films, and not having a clue what any of them are about, I can hardly say that this name enthrals me.

The only coaster that I can think of with a film title in it's name are The Dark Knight coasters, and these are just bog-standard wild mouses with a crappy pre-show and useless "theming".
I can only assume that this will be the same- but in Eurofighter form. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.