What's new

Save Rye Playland

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
What’s that yellow coaster south of the Dragon Coaster? I can’t figure out what that is... family coaster, GCI woody, Zierer ESC?

Lofty

CF Legend
The thing is, the plans aren't talking about demolishing it? They're talking about improving it - so why wouldn't you want to go with it?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I think the big thing missed in all of this is one of the coaster footprints shown perfectly matches the legendary Airplane Coaster which operated at the park in the 30s and 40s. Airplane Coaster had a stellar reputation for being quite intense (but not rough) thanks to the two or three helices throughout the layout. If that blueprint is hinting that the park is bringing the ride back, I'm sure I won't be the only one who has this park shoot towards the top of the "to visit" list.

default.jpg

Photo credit: Westchester County Government

g05742.jpg

aeroplane_backside_view.jpg

Found on TPR, original source not given.

This thing is right up GCI's alley. Please bring it back :D

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster
I think the big thing missed in all of this is one of the coaster footprints shown perfectly matches the legendary Airplane Coaster which operated at the park in the 30s and 40s. Airplane Coaster had a stellar reputation for being quite intense (but not rough) thanks to the two or three helices throughout the layout. If that blueprint is hinting that the park is bringing the ride back, I'm sure I won't be the only one who has this park shoot towards the top of the "to visit" list.

default.jpg

g05742.jpg

Yep, the plan also literally has that track layout marked "Aeroplane Coaster".

Niles

Giga Poster

default.jpg

g05742.jpg

I did not realise it was that,
This would be great to come back looks like a interesting layout.

Niles

Giga Poster
Bump

Quote from screamscape

“According to the latest news report, a county executive in Westchester has agreed to finally turn over the management of the park in 2022 to Standard Amusements who has committed to spending $25 million on new rides and other park upgrades. For now, if the state of the pandemic allows for it, Playland will open one more time in 2021 under the existing county management before control is given to Standard Amusements in 2022 under a deal that will give them control of the park for the next 30 years.”

News source: https://newyork.cbslocal.com/2020/12/18/playland-standard-amusements/

I find this very unlikely to happen but I hope it does, it is a quaint little place and I hope it survives. It has a great history and is very scenic.