What's new

S&S Free spin 4D concept

Lofty

CF Legend
Hello all,

I'm sure there was a topic about this, but I can't find it anymore. It's true that S&S have been working on a free spinning version of their 4D rides. Below is a video released by TPR who had the chance to test their prototype.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2chGrSXCw0[/youtube]

So basically, it's S&S' go at a Zacspin, but you know, it actually looks good...

Below are some of the layout examples and also, the link to more images courtesy of TPR.

thumb_4d_freespin_prototype_08a.jpg

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=66944

spicy

Giga Poster
That looks crazy and potentially much better than the Intamin version.

Hope we see one built soon.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Can we have like a lot of this style of ride built! Its like a combo of a ZacSpin with an X2 twist to it! Six Flags Great Adventure should build this. Only a full circuit with a lift hill, etc. But seriously, I love this concept!

Hutch

Strata Poster
That looks like great fun! The prototype actually kind of looks like a Disko that flips you around.

nadroJ

CF Legend
I feel like I saw this a while ago, but sans TPR.

I like it, it DOES look a lot more fun, but at the same time it's quite hefty, I think a massive part of the appeal of the ZacSpin was that it is incredibly compact, I'd like to see how S&S can compete with such a USP.

andrus

Giga Poster
I guess there's no real new information since last time around, but at least it makes me glad to see that they built a concept model and that it's running well :)

I think the advantage of this design versus the zacspins will be comfort. As much as I love Insane it **** hurts! The "vest" thing Intamin uses is too hard/narrow for this kind of attraction and they're whey too tight!! These restraints look very comfortable :)

insanecoastervids

Hyper Poster
Saw this on screamscape, just looks insane, after riding Green Lantern I wish it could have flipped me around a little more. This could be the answer.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I really enjoyed Green Lantern and consider it one of the most underrated roller coaster experiences out there.

An S&S Zacspin would be a great addition - hope to see this move past prototype!

marc

CF Legend
Re: S&S Free spin 4D concept

It's still weight dependant though. When he rode with his wife it rotated a lot more than with his daughter.

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
CPSFMMCW said:
Can we have like a lot of this style of ride built! Its like a combo of a ZacSpin with an X2 twist to it! Six Flags Great Adventure should build this. Only a full circuit with a lift hill, etc. But seriously, I love this concept!

GAdv needs HIGH throughput rides.

Tomatron

Giga Poster
Looks cool, but it'll still get weighted and neutered to make sure it dosen't flip too much if one gets built. The Intamin versions are crazy when they're unbalanced.

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
rollermonkey said:
CPSFMMCW said:

GAdv needs HIGH throughput rides.
Well, obviously I don't mean this exact ride. I like the style and think that the style of ride should come to the park. It should be full circuit, run more than one train, and have cool maneuvers and stuff.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
According to an article on the Harold Journal website, S&S will debut this concept coaster in 2015. Some have already speculated in the Six Flags 2015 Announcements topic that it will be going to one of their parks, but I though I would post this info here for more general discussion since it now appears that we'll be seeing one of these sooner rather than later.

Engineers at S&S Worldwide in Logan may dub their newest project the “little brother” of its counterpart, the 4-Dimension, but don’t be fooled — the 4-D Free Spin is set to provide an unmatched suspended experience.
The $7 million ride — with a speed of 38 miles per hour on a 1,265-foot track — is currently undergoing prototype testing at the Logan plant on 2500 North, not far from the highly successful Zip Line creation. By April or late May of next year, the 4D Free Spin will debut at a yet-to-be-named amusement park somewhere in the U.S.
The Free Spin earns its distinction from its “big brother” 4D — which debuted at Six Flags in 2002 — because the “free spins” the eight-passenger ride induces are not mechanically controlled, explained Mike Worley, senior mechanical engineer. Riders are suspended off to the side of the coaster track, where the seats spin independently.
S&S wants to make “a more family-friendly ride with more variability where with each time you ride it you get a different experience,” explained Worley, when describing the 4-D Free Spin.
The Free Spin ride thrives on natural dynamics — and even personal interaction with the movement of a person’s feet — to invoke spins. But the 4-D Free Spin is using old technology in a new way to help control some of that.

53b2e5fb47c01.image.jpg

Matt Worley, senior mechanical engineer at S&S Worldwide, talks about the newest roller coaster at the Logan-based company on Thursday afternoon. The 4D Free Spin will be installed at a major U.S. theme park around April of 2015.

The Eddy Current technology is usually used to help slow the roller coaster to prevent an uncomfortable experience — but S&S is testing it to help “force or retard spins,” Worley said.
“No one has a vehicle like this or is using the spin technology in this way,” he said. “As far we know it is the first of its kind.”
Rich Allen, CEO of S&S Worldwide, explained how the company creates ride concepts and then markets them for amusement parks to purchase.
Allen said a common misconception among the general public is that amusement parks come up with the concept ideas for specific rides, when actually, the opposite is true.
“They kind of wait for manufacturers to bring things to market,” Allen said. “We come up with these that we think parks and the general public would like. What we want to do is say, ‘OK, we think this will be fun … but is it really going to give the kind of ride experience that we want?’”

53b2e61d7d4f4.image.jpg

A prototype, like the 4-D Free Spin model that S&S is testing now, is one way to test that concept.
“Once we prove to ourselves that the ride is going to deliver the experience we think we want, we take that concept to the market and we put together our information, go the industry and see who would be interested in owning it,” Allen said. “Fortunately, this is a high-tech-high thrill ride and we’ve gotten a lot of interest in the industry and it’s been purchased by a significant park ground.”
Allen noted that S&S pioneered the concept of having rotating seats on the outside of an axis.
“It’s radically different from other coasters that would be in the park,” Allen said of the new 4-D. “I’d classify this as a high-thrill family coaster; I wouldn’t call it an ‘extreme coaster.’”
The S&S CEO also talked about the emerging trends in the roller coaster business. Many parks are showcasing the biggest, fastest, heart-stopping ride — oftentimes accompanied by a sign warning people with heart problems not to ride it — as a centerpiece of their entertainment.

53b2e642581cb.image.jpg

“Amusement parks want to drive attendance. A lot of what you’re expressing is marketing,” Allen said. ”It’s kind of like Halloween and going into haunted houses; you want to hype the extreme and parks always try to one up each other … If they’re going to open the ride they’re looking for something they’re going to market above their competition.”
S&S Worldwide is also known for other high-speed coasters and towers.
The Space Shot tower ride is known for its rapid 4-G vertical launch before dropping into a breathtaking negative 1-G descent.
The Screamin’ Swing “excites riders with the feeling of wind in their face and 0-G floats similar to riding a roller coaster that is diving toward the ground,” according to the S&S website.

53b2e65fc9a17.image.jpg
Source: http://news.hjnews.com/allaccess/lo...2fa-013f-11e4-85f2-0019bb2963f4.html?mode=jqm

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Someone tell me why BGW didn't get this instead of the abomination that is Diavolo? XD

My money is on Fiesta Texas for this, but we'll see!