What's new

Rumor: Hollywood Studios gets Green Light for Cars Land

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
http://www.wdwfanboys.com/blog/carsland-gets-the-green-light-for-hollywood-studios/

Trusted sources are confirming that the very popular Carsland from Disney California Adventure has been Green Lit for Disney’s Hollywood Studios. The full details have not been revealed, but it’s reasonable to assume the following:

Carsland will reside in the area currently housing the Studio Backlot Tour and Lights, Motors, Action, Extreme Stunt Show
The Radiator Springs Racers and Tow Mater’s Junkyard Jamboree will be included as part of Carsland
It is expected that the shops (Sarge’s Surplus Hut, Ramone’s Body Art, etc) and restaurants (Flo’s V8, and Cozy Cone) will be included.
The shop intended to house the RideMakerz shop will probably not be included, or will have a new theme.
Luigi’s Flying Tires will probably be modified or removed entirely due to the capacity issues with the California version

Personally I hope this isn't true. I personally feel that DHS doesn't need a clone of Cars land and DHS has many other attractions that are planned/rumored they could do instead. The supposed Monster's Inc Coaster or an Indiana Jones ride to go with the show.

bmac

Giga Poster
Re: rumor: Cars Land get's Green Light for DHS

I know the stunt show is going soon. Other than that I'm not sure what the hell is happening in WDWR, but whatever overhaul they'll be doing is needed direly.

Mike

Giga Poster

Does this mean they'll be getting rid of Backlot Tour and LMA all together?

If so, then it's about time!
Both of these attractions take up acres of space for 2 of the most mediocre and outdated things in Disney. The whole Streets of America area from just past Muppets to the entrance of Pixar Place need a serious spruce up, so any new area (even if it is with the worst Pixar film of them all) is a good thing. :)

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster

The part that interests me the most that doesn't have to do to cars land specifically is this.

Little information has come out publicly on the Avatar project, but right now the attractions being discussed are as follows:

Flora and Fauna of Pandora walk through: This would be a family attraction, and possibly the entrance to the land.
Soarin’ over Pandora: This would use a simulator similar to the existing Soarin’ simulator but with 3D components
Motorbike Coaster: Designed by ride manufacturer Vekoma, the Motorbike design was proposed for Shanghai Disneyland for a Tron attraction. The vehicle seating is similar to that of a motor cycle (guests leaning forward with their feet back) and would face potential capacity issues. The theming of this ride would be elaborate, and it is the likeliest thing to be cut if they’re trying to reduce the budget. It also seems this is the project that James Cameron is most enthusiastic about.

I'm always up for a new coaster at WDW. If themed right it will be a great expirience

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team

I edited the title for grammatical clarity.

This is a good step. Backlot Tours is an attempt to emulate the Universal Studios Hollywood tour. It works, up until the point that it isn't in Hollywood. You know, where the movies are made.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Still think the level of stupidity with Avatar is through the roof and it will be a huge flop.

Disney is better than cloning themed areas like Carsland. I also find it funny that they are surprised that Luigi's Tires has horrible capacity, because everyone with a brain knew it would. Tron would be perfect though. I still feel that has the potential to be one of the best Disney themed areas.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
Still think the level of stupidity with Avatar is through the roof and it will be a huge flop.

Disney is better than cloning themed areas like Carsland. I also find it funny that they are surprised that Luigi's Tires has horrible capacity, because everyone with a brain knew it would. Tron would be perfect though. I still feel that has the potential to be one of the best Disney themed areas.

Not since Iger took over. Soarin, Toy Story Mania, The little mermaid ride, and many others. So I honestly am not surprised. It will in the long run cost them less than building a new attraction because the research cost has already been done for DCA.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ Or you could just say the whole of Magic Kingdom... which you know... is technically copied from Disneyland. :razz:

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Well obviously it is all copied (basically) from Disneyland, but something like Cars Land should be unique to the US parks, since you know Chinese parks are already making knock offs so it can't be totally unique.

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
tomahawKSU said:
Well obviously it is all copied (basically) from Disneyland, but something like Cars Land should be unique to the US parks, since you know Chinese parks are already making knock offs so it can't be totally unique.

It SHOULD be unique to DCA. That's really one of the few things in the park worth visiting for. If it goes to DHS than theres really no reason to visit DCA more than once. DCA needs it's attendance to rise that's why Cars Land was built in the first place. Many of the intended attractions were cut during the building and planning stages of the park due to budget cuts. So taking away the unique reason to visit DCA by building it somewhere else is honestly sheer stupidity on Disney's part in my opinion.

nadroJ

CF Legend
This needs to die. Yes, the backlot tour and LMA need to die too, because they're old, tired attractions now and their time has come, but to replace them with a clone of Cars Land is pure laziness and greed. It's a guaranteed moneyspinner, hence their interest, all the research and design work has pretty much been done for Cars Land, all they'd have to do is figure out how to make it fit the space. Nah, I won't be impressed if they go for this, there's a plethora of other things Disney could replace those attractions with, all of which could be new and unique to the park.

Also, seeing as it was brought up, I severely hope that now that the initial hype for Avatar the film has died down and people have forgotten it ever existed that Disney will noticed the film's unpopularity and take a different route with their planned Animal Kingdom expansion (Beastly Kingdom please).

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:
This needs to die. Yes, the backlot tour and LMA need to die too, because they're old, tired attractions now and their time has come, but to replace them with a clone of Cars Land is pure laziness and greed. It's a guaranteed moneyspinner, hence their interest, all the research and design work has pretty much been done for Cars Land, all they'd have to do is figure out how to make it fit the space. Nah, I won't be impressed if they go for this, there's a plethora of other things Disney could replace those attractions with, all of which could be new and unique to the park.

Also, seeing as it was brought up, I severely hope that now that the initial hype for Avatar the film has died down and people have forgotten it ever existed that Disney will noticed the film's unpopularity and take a different route with their planned Animal Kingdom expansion (Beastly Kingdom please).

I don't think I've ever agreed with you more. Unfortunately Beastly Kingdom will not happen. It Already exists. Not in it's original design but still.

nadroJ

CF Legend
Loads of reasons, it's not Disney, it's nothing to do with animals, it doesn't fit with the rest of Animal Kingdom, it's a movie tie-in (which I've criticised Disney for before), it's not timeless so it'll age badly, it's jumping on the bandwagon, it's a crap film, it's lazy because it means they can just adapt ideas from the film.... The list goes on and on, basically it's a turd of an idea and needs to swiftly be forgotten about.

STC

Mega Poster
Agree with everything nandroJ said above, especially about Avatar being a crap film. It'll need retheming in 20 years time when nobody remembers Avatar, because it won't become a cultural touchstone, in the way that Toy Story or Harry Potter is, to take two examples.

The rumour I'm most excited about is the even slight possibility of my favourite dark ride ever - Indiana Jones Adventure - making its way to Orlando! :D

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Here we go again x.x

The movie is a huge piece of ****. The thing you're forgetting is the 3 sequels coming in the next 10-20 years. I HATE the movie but it does give disney a great template to work with. It gives disney plenty of creative options. Mix that with the fact that Cameron's a perfectionist this could mean great things for disney.

I refuse to judge this land that we know nothing about on other than it exists and no announced attractions even though I really do hate the movie (It makes me **** angry it's the highest grossing film of all time)

Also, It does fit into AK. AK is about the animals and preserving their habitats. Avatar was all about not destroying nature and other creatures habitats.

Anything I missed there Jordan?

marc

CF Legend
Well good if they get it but bad at the same time.

The parks need to get original rides not copies from other parks.

Agree with Jordan about the Ak plans.

Mark

Strata Poster
nadroJ said:

I couldnt agree more Jordan. A) why bother duplicating it, all it encourages is irritating comparisons. b) Also, it doesnt exactly encourage people to try different resorts does it. Why bother going over to Cali if you can do it all in Florida... EURGH! c) it simply smacks of being totally uncreative and un-imaginering! It is pure laziness!

And yes, Avatar land can get scrapped for all I care, I would much rather see a beasty kingdom. I have always held out hope of it considering they kept the dragon in the logo. Fingers crossed.