What's new

Ring Racer is to be removed from the Nurburgring!

EthC

Mega Poster
The Nurburgring has been sold to German automotive firm Capricorn Group for a figure totalling over 100m euros, with a further 25m euros of investment in the current infrastructure promised. The German bid beat the HIG Europe Group's efforts with only minutes to spare.
Capricorn will launch a new company called Capricorn Nurburgring to handle the new business from January 1 2015. Their plans include relocating the roller coaster to another town in the region, scrapping the maligned ring card payment system, and remodelling the current Eifeldorf as a Silverstone-style technology park.

Capricorn Nurburgring will be headed by Adam Osieka, a current VLN racer and CEO of new racing/tuning outfit Getspeed, based in the current industry park.

"It was a very close thing," admitted boss-to-be Adam Osieka. "I haven't slept for two nights, and nothing was decided until the last moment."

HIG, an investment group based in Miami, had been widely tipped to win the bidding process. Indeed only last week they registered six companies to handle their impending victory. Englishman, racer and CEO of those companies Meyrick Cox said: "Of course we are disappointed. We have great experience in this sector with strong links to the F1 and music businesses. We hope that the winning bid can do as much good for the Nurburgring as we had planned."

Source: http://www.pistonheads.com/

So yeah Ring Racer is getting removed from the Nurburgring, supposidly to another town in the region, if anyone can be bothered to buy the thing after all the trouble it's had...

What do you guys think about this.

TilenB

Strata Poster
I've been following the discussion on one of the German coaster forums and they've said that the takeover won't be completed till end of this year, so there's chance that the coaster could still operate this season.
It's quite ironic, now that they've finally make it operational and I doubt that anybody would care to buy it. Apart from a powerful launch, it does absolutely nothing and would require quite a lot of space to build.

marc

CF Legend
What a waste of time, the other problem is the coaster was custom built to fit around and in the building.

I don't see why they don't keep it tbh, I can see it being scrapped.

Lofty

CF Legend
They've only just got the **** thing working.

A relocation to another park is a pathetic and ridiculous idea, the coaster was tailored to fit in that somewhat narrow layout, if it moves to another park, it'll look so odd, like other relocations of a similar type.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Lol, I think this coaster takes the Biggest Farce title from Smilier at Alton Towers.

TjChapperz

Mega Poster
Ive been following this on the car forum's and the new company are purely interested in the car side of things, the industrial park they'll be building on site will be for car manufacturers or similar to move into. So to them the coaster is just an unwanted cost i'm surprised they just aren't scrapping it. and the track will turn into a more track day rather than just turn up and do a lap hence scrapping the card thing.

BBH

Giga Poster
It'll be interesting to see what they do with the ride, the only notable parts are the launch and the ampersand turn, but they were designed with those heavy trims, so I don't know what they'll do in terms of the layout, there's not much they really can do about altering the design.