What's new

Rides you witnessed the lifecycle of

Gazza

Giga Poster
Following on from the worst spite thread.
Just wondering, are there any rides out there you watched the construction of, were interested enough to want to ride for many years, but the park shut down the ride before you ever got to visit.

For me Hypersonic XLC and the Penguin dark ride at Sea World Orlando spring to mind.

PS, Nobody is allowed to say Vertigo at Walibi.

JoshC.

Strata Poster
Slammer at Thorpe.

I remember the area be a largely inaccessible road behind some big gates, which was slowly opened up for access to a Halloween attraction. Then comes this big new unique flat, which is temperamental at best. Then following it's last painful years before the park finally gave up and put it out of its misery.

Though I guess until it's taken down, it's full life cycle isn't quite there yet....

James F

Hyper Poster
I can't think of one, but hopefully it won't be the fate of Top Thrill Dragster.

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk

Howie

Donkey in a hat
I guess Lightning Rod v:1.0 kinda counts, right? The first RMC to get RMC'd.
In particular that first season with the full-fat, no holds barred launch. Wish I'd have been there for that. The current version just doesn't cradle my plums enough to make me book that flight.

Nitefly

Hyper Poster
The current version just doesn't cradle my plums enough to make me book that flight.
If it helps, consider the new version the true version and the former version the ‘120% / temperamental / unsustainable’ edition. That’s how I think of it anyway. Sure, it would have been great to experience it, but what can you do? 🤷‍♂️

cookie

Giga Poster
Does Rock n’ Rollercoaster at Walt Disney Studios Paris count? I saw the park open back when I first gained access to the internet in 2002, visited with my family in 2005 but I was too scared of inversions at the time to ride it, and by the time I returned to DLP in 2021 it was shut for the Avengers makeover. Flight Force will be the same ride in the end, but I’ll never get to experience the original version. I got the credit on the Florida version, though.

Indy

Hyper Poster
Well, first there are the entire parks of Celebration City, Jazzland/Six Flags New Orleans, and Hard Rock Park/Freestyle Park.

As for specific rides, Hypersonic XLC, Ozark Wildcat, RingRacer, and Harley Quinn Crazy Coaster all come to mind. Medusa at Six Flags Mexico is another, but I at least have ridden Medusa Steel. And then there is one that has a bit of an asterisk: Myrtle Beach Pavilion's Hurricane. I actually went to the park, but it started to rain before we got on anything and we left I never made it back.

The current version just doesn't cradle my plums enough to make me book that flight.
This might be the greatest line that I've read on this site.

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
What about.... Hard Rock Park, as a whole (technically I made it there under the Freestyle name but it wasn't the 'same') I remember watching all the park being built along with the demise of Myrtle Beach Pavilion with it and actively posting on other forums how it seemed like such a bad idea and destine to fail...while so many others told me I was wrong (lolol) I had planned on making a trip out there in 2008 but the park closed before I could make it happen although finding out it hadn't even made it its full opening season wasn't a shock, the warning signs were there well before the place opened. When they reopened in 2009 under the Freestyle name I quickly booked plane tickets and a hotel next to the park and made a weekend visit, still feeling unease the place would last, it didn't. But whatever, I got the 5 credits.

Although reading other replies here makes me feel fortunate to have ridden some things mentioned (Hypersonic, Ozark Wildcat, Penguin (ew), Slammer, RollerSoaker, and MBP Hurricane)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Yeah, there's definitely a lot of "having been into coasters for 20+ years, tracked a lot of rise and fall" moment.

To put a twist on this of coasters that I saw built, rode, and then torn down:
  • Dueling Dragons
  • Wicked Twister
  • Son of Beast
  • The Villain
  • X-Flight/Firehawk

rob666

Hyper Poster
G Force at Drayton Manor.
Stood in the queue without moving for half an hour, twice.
Didn't look worth the effort of a long slow queue, so we walked away to ride something else.
Much better idea, never regretted.
The joys of not counting creds!

Indy

Hyper Poster
The joys of not counting creds!
I count creds, but I have never had any sort of regret about missing a coaster because of my cred count. The count is just a fun thing to do in association with the hobby. My disappointment always lies in the fact that I didn't get to experience the ride, regardless of how horrific a ride might be. As masochistic as it may be, I frequently have a desire to experience particular rides because I want to see how horrific they truly are. The +1 is just a fun side note.

Last edited: