What's new

Rides that would be better without an element?

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Replace Phoenix's turning brake run with a regular turn; also, make it super close to the ground for some epic laterals, that would be amazing!

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster
Do trim brakes counts as an element? I assume no, but I vote for those anyway.

But in sincerity: Storm Runner has an odd element after the snake dive, where it kicks hard right then curls upwards toward the brakes. It’s uncomfortable at worst and pointless at best. They could have made a curving double-up airtime element instead, for example, and it would have been a much better finale.

spicy

Giga Poster
Maverick without the heartline roll... Oh wait..

Nemesis Inferno without the pointless meandering to the lift hill springs to mind.

Snoo

The Legend
Used to be awesome when the tunnel was pumped full of mist - you would often come out with a wet face.

But that lasted about 2 years and yeah, it's pointless now.

Less then that. Opening day it didn't even last until opening to the public. I was lucky enough to get a rollback in the tunnel before official opening. So insane when that bad boy was full of mist with the lights in the tunnel.

Actually. found a POV:

To those wondering, no it's not the camera.. it was that dark. :)

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
EVERY SINGLE ARROW LOOPERS: remove helics. Weirdly tracked, and makes me bang my head. (Especially Rolling X Train with Vekoma headbanger train)

Zek_Teh_Kek

Hyper Poster
The MCBR on Raptor (CP), while it's not something I hate, definitely lessens the flow of the ride, but hey, if they can run 3 trains on that thing, I'm all for the MCBR.

The tiny airtime hill before the cutback on Twisted Timbers is a bit weird too, could've just lined up the cutback with the other 3 airtime hills, but it's okay I guess.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
But in sincerity: Storm Runner has an odd element after the snake dive, where it kicks hard right then curls upwards toward the brakes. It’s uncomfortable at worst and pointless at best. They could have made a curving double-up airtime element instead, for example, and it would have been a much better finale.

That element was actually oddly shaped because of clearance issues. If you look at where it is positioned via Google Earth, Storm Runner has to clear under the monorail tracks and very hastily go over Trailblazer's first turn. If it had a curving double up, the monorail or Trailblazer's layout would have to be redone, or maybe even both.

oriolat2

Giga Poster
Cheetah Hunt inversion just feels so out of place. It's almost as if Busch Gardens knew this was a family-thrill roller coaster and wanted to justify the thrill part of it throwing an inline twist for the sake of it.

Also, all S:UF clones, everything after the pretzel loop.

sirloin

Roller Poster
Twisted Timbers without the first overbank. I wish they would have left the level turn that the original Hurler had so riders could finally experience it again at top speed, and without the horrible jackhammering.

Serena

Miss CoasterForce 2016
Staff member
Social Media Team
The ampersand on Shambhala. Stick that monstrosity in the bin! It kills the momentum of the ride and just feels super awkward, like the train is struggling.

Oh and Wickermans Boring Corner, and Cu Chullainns wacky overbank.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The MCBR on Raptor (CP), while it's not something I hate, definitely lessens the flow of the ride, but hey, if they can run 3 trains on that thing, I'm all for the MCBR.
I mean, CP doesn't have the MCBR grab. ;)

I think Skyrush would receive better marks if time spent on the brake runs were less. That's when the lapbar stapling really sets in, and why I deduct Skyrush a few ranking marks for sheer pain. So while not an element removal persay, what if we just shortened the duration of the brake run element, or even added a second unload station? (Lord knows Skyrush's station is squashed together as is)

Other honorable mentions:
- Every B&M turnaround after an MCBR, which are all pointless filler to add time so trains don't stack as much on the brake run. Really, thinking about it, there are a lot of turnarounds headed into brake runs, especially upward helices, that really drag due to lack of speed and force. Cut all of them, and let those trains cook their way into the brake run!
- Powder Keg's lift hill and drop, which ironically is the part they saved from the original Buzzsaw Falls. It's just very awkward and nonsequitur versus the rest of the rather good ride.
- Magnum's agressively overbanked turns post MCBR, Toomer ma man; the train is going 5 MPH, not 50.

Kw6sTheater

Hyper Poster
Every last one of those horrible triangular hills of death on Magnum XL-200. Or, alternatively, just replace those old Arrow trains with some sleek B&Ms.

Intamin to Win

Mega Poster

The tiny airtime hill before the cutback on Twisted Timbers is a bit weird too, could've just lined up the cutback with the other 3 airtime hills, but it's okay I guess.

Part of that is the old Hurler had really wierd, lengthy transitions into its two big flat turns, RMC worked with what they had there. Check out old pics and POVs to see what I mean.

And to those of you in this thread questioning Magnum XL: fite me irl cowardz

Edward M

Strata Poster
I think Skyrush would receive better marks if time spent on the brake runs were less. That's when the lapbar stapling really sets in, and why I deduct Skyrush a few ranking marks for sheer pain.

I visited Fall 2017, and they were regularly releasing the lap bars on the brake run. You could feel the collective "thank god" on the train, and it helped significantly with re rideability. It made the stapling much more tolerable.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
I visited Fall 2017, and they were regularly releasing the lap bars on the brake run. You could feel the collective "thank god" on the train, and it helped significantly with re rideability. It made the stapling much more tolerable.
I noticed this too, the only time it really hurts is on the first brake run, the 2nd one after the turn and dip released them slightly.

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
I noticed this too, the only time it really hurts is on the first brake run, the 2nd one after the turn and dip released them slightly.
Can third this. During my visit in 2016 they popped the restraints on every ride - much to the collective and audible relief of everyone on board.

Ethan

Strata Poster
Surely Hersheypark knows about this issue, right? I know new trains are ridiculously expensive, but would it not be worth them looking into it? I haven't ridden Skyrush so I can't speak from experience but the lapbars sound absolutely shocking.