What's new

Rides that have aged/changed drastically

Montario

Roller Poster
I couldn't find a matching/similar topic, please lock if there is one :--D.

I want to know from everyone, what rides started off truly well during the first season of operation, but eventually ended up showing notable negative changes or signs of age? I'm asking broadly here, it could be anything from the appearance and theme of the ride to the 'roughness', or alterations to the ride experience.

Mine would be Colossus at Thorpe Park, it used to be fairly smooth in it's first years of operation...now to me it is near unbearable with the constant rattling and headbanging. :|

Bear

Roller Poster
I'll agree with Colossus, but I think that Saw has become much more rough in a much shorter space of time!

I would say Velocity, Kumali, and Mumbo Jumbo at Flamingoland have deteriorated extremely quickly.

rich210uk

Mega Poster
Agree with Saw! It really hurts your spine and the back of your skull. Just watch people getting off rubbing the back of their necks! It was quite smooth on opening.

I thought Furious Baco was unbearable! A few years ago we loved it but last week I could only manage it twice and we were both wrecked! Launch is fine but soon as it drops down its a constant pounding, our on ride videos says it all lol

I dont agree with Oblivion though :) If you mean ride quality.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
Not so much ride quality. But it's appernce has lost a hell of lot of quality. Still a great ride when your on it, even if the restraints smell of BO from the people (Cough Chavs Cough)

marc

CF Legend
Saw. How the hell can a coaster be rough going in a straight line?

Actually it's not rough but it bumps along causing a pain to shoot up your spine and end and the base of your neck.

After every inversion it bumps, in fact every single corner.

It's just that bad now that I will probably never go on it again.

I really cannot see it being in the park in 5 years.

Nemesis of oblivion

Strata Poster
I can see new cars being on Saw in next 5 years. The IP isn't going anywhere seeing as it's still one of the most populaur rides in the park and vistors travel to see it because of the Saw theme.

marc

CF Legend
I don't thing it's the cars though, it's the track. Yes the cars may have damaged the track so a lot will need changing.

The public do love it though just like they love colossus.

Montario

Roller Poster
Has anybody else noticed that even the first drop indoors on SAW throws you around a lot too now? I was shocked...by then you are travelling at about what, under 40km/h? Also to add onto my list, I've never been on i305 before but it seems the modifications made have received a lot of negative attention.

bmac

Giga Poster
I think of i305 as Goldie Locks. The first porrage was too hot, the second was too cold, and the third is just a little too warm.

By the way the trains literally tear the paint off of the track. When I last went on the 20th I was watching paint flake off of the track, quite a site to see. The worst is definitely that first turn, which you can see from the top of Anaconda.

andrus

Giga Poster
Desert Race. It was glass smooth the first time I rode it, but last year it was rattling like hell! :? Don't know if I just cought it on a bad day or if it really could age that bad (only two years in between the goes). It's especially sad since it used to be a top 10 ride for me :( but unfortunately far from it now..

marc

CF Legend
Martyn B said:
^ Is there? I certainly never noticed any.

It no longer goes backwards as fast as it did, trims were added but yep you cannot really notice them unless you know that their there. Too many people complained that they felt sick.

And people wonder why Disney cannot install more extreme rides!

Martyn B

CF Legend
I suppose it doesn't seem to pick up speed as quick as it should when the trains released... but yeah, that backwards section is pretty gross as it is, so I can imagine people spewing their guts if it was worse!

cookie

Giga Poster
The backwards section on E:E is pretty intense as it is. I almost lost my wallet to it once.