What's new

Ride you have been on that's been gone the longest

VTCGA5

Roller Poster
This topic is pretty simple

What ride have you been on that's been gone the longest out of all of the defunct rides you've ridden?

For me, it's either SFGAM's Trailblazer (Closed 2006) or SFGAM's Splashwater Falls (Closed 2007)

I MIGHT have ridden Trailblazer, but there's a bigger chance it was Splashwater Falls which I can confirm that I rode.

So, how about you?

rob666

Hyper Poster
Virginia Reel at Blackpool.
Back in the days when we used roman numerals!
Closed 1982.
Fantastic ride.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
CanobieFan said:
I've been on rides that have been closed longer than some members here have been alive :?
LOL I've been on some that have been closed longer than you've been alive. :wink:
In 1968 I rode Galaxie at Hemisphere in San Antonio and I'm not exactly sure when it closed, but I think it was the following year. Definitely no later than 1970.
As far as documented coasters it would have to be Black Witch and the Corkscrew at Magic Harbor at Surfside Beach in South Carolina, which closed in the late 1970s.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Off the top of my head, I think it's Tokaydo Express at Blackpool. I know I rode it as a kid, and it's been gone since 1997.

S

SimonSays99

Schwarzkopf coasters Gebirgsbahn and Grand Canyon Bahn at Phantasialand. Burned down in 2001 but my last rides were in the late 80s as a kid visiting with my parents.

Ketchup

Mega Poster
Pretty sure it has to be Python at BGT which I must have went on when I was 9 years old way back in 2000.

elephant58

Hyper Poster
I know I've definitely been on Corkscrew at Alton and the Circus Clown at Blackpool, both of which closed in 2008. Although I think it's likely that I went on the Big Apple at Blackpool as well, which closed in 2004, but I can't really remember.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
Might be the 4 Man Bob at Alton Towers. If relocations don't count, then it might be the old Python Looping Coaster from Drayton Manor.
Then again it might be one of the old ones from Rhyl, maybe the Water Chute, when did that go?
Or it might be the old Cobra boomerang from West Midland Safari Park..
I dunno.
I'm an old b*stard whichever one it was...

Thekingin64

Strata Poster
Gauntlet at Camelot (closed 2006) if relocations count. If not, probably the big apple and King Solomon's mines at Pleasureland Southport (Both closed same day 2006)

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
The Sky Slide at Cedar Point (1968-1991), a massive 15 lane giant slide that was replaced with the Berenstein Bear Country kiddie area (such a fantastic play area too!), which has subsequently become the site of Planet Snoopy.

Giant_slide.jpg

Sky-Slide.jpg

slidejpg-6da34060c82c55b8.jpg

Edward M

Strata Poster
Hunchback of Notre Dame - A Musical Adventure (closed 2002). That counts right?

If not, Timekeeper (closed 2006). That counts right?

If not, Texas Giant (closed 2009). That has to count.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Howie said:
Might be the 4 Man Bob at Alton Towers. If relocations don't count, then it might be the old Python Looping Coaster from Drayton Manor.
Then again it might be one of the old ones from Rhyl, maybe the Water Chute, when did that go?
Or it might be the old Cobra boomerang from West Midland Safari Park..
I dunno.
I'm an old b*stard whichever one it was...
Rhyl was my first thought, but a quick check shows that it only closed 10 years ago - thought is was longer - and I'm pretty sure the old water chute was running up until closing, or if not, not too long before.

Dar

Hyper Poster
If it's rides you can remember riding, then it's probably Tokaydo Express like Gavin.

If I don't have to remember the ride, then it's probably the Tom Sawyer raft ride at Blackpool. It closed in 1993.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
gavin said:
Howie said:
Rhyl was my first thought, but a quick check shows that it only closed 10 years ago - thought is was longer - and I'm pretty sure the old water chute was running up until closing, or if not, not too long before.

Wow, only 10 years? Feels like ages. Maybe it's because I haven't been there since I was a wee boy, 30+ years ago, but man, I loved the water chute! I proper skinted my dad out this one time, ride after ride I tell ya - it was pay per ride only back in them days. If I'd known it was still running up until 10 years ago I'd have gone back for a nostalgia trip!

And I've just noticed that the thread title is "rides" not "coasters", which opens up a whole load of the classic Alton Towers flats that I rode back in the 80's. Not sure which one of these has been gone the longest... but I've been on them all: Cresta Run (alpine toboggan thing), Gravitron, Tri Star, Turbo Star, Magic Carpet, Mississippi Showboat, Cine 2000 and Cine 360, and I'm fairly sure they had 2 very similar Octopus rides at one point?
All this, of course, was back in the day when Alton Towers was good...

I tell you what... how much better would the place be if even half of that stuff was still there? These young'uns have no idea what they missed. :-(

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
caffeine_demon said:
If rides that have relocated count its 4 man bob at alton. If not need to check my list!

if not - it's either looping star or blizzard at GY pleasure beach..

Other rides wise - I also have cresta run and 1001 nights from alton, and water chute, the rotor, and the pre lights off version of the fun house at GY pleasure beach, and they used to have a great animatronic ghoul show at pleasurewood hills (kind of a budget spookslot, with cinema style seating) - I think that may have been spited when they got the whole crinkley bottom thing.. :(

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
If it's rides, it'll be 1001 nights and/or Gravitron from Alton. Would've done them in the early '90s but not sure when they closed.

There's also that parachute tower at Drayton around the same time.

There's a good chance of something at Blackpool, but can't remember anything specifically other than the old fun house. I may have done the old Huss Rainbow, but can't remember.

Pink Cadillac

Giga Poster
The Big Apple at Whitley Bay and Chessington's Clown Coaster apparently closed in 2000. Haven't got a clue about non-coasters.