What's new

Remnants of defunct rides (or old layouts)

Peet

Giga Poster
Talk over on the Hakugei thread about leaving old track in place after changing a coaster's layout got me thinking about where you can still see evidence of defunct rides at parks, or parts of coaster layouts that have been changed.

Here's the most obvious example from the UK:
SDC12503.JPG

There's also this nice example from Parque de Atracciones de Madrid; a homage to their "7 Picos" Schwarzkopf Wildcat coaster that operated there for many years:
20180506_144540.jpg

There are some more subtle remnants of old rides that you have to know what to look for, like the old station of Vikingar/Water Chute at Blackpool:
SDC12570.JPG

Then there are things like this bit of Rolling Thunder that got left behind:
14-04-12-Rolling_Thunder-2.jpg

Moving on to changes of layout, as most UK enthusiasts will know, on The Big One's turnaround you can see how the track used to take a wider curve:
Capture.JPG

And here's @roomraider 's example from the Hakugei thread, showing the Riverside Cyclone after a change in profile:
RiversideCY.png

So what other remnants of defunct rides or layouts have been left behind long after the ride was gone?

SilverArrow

Certified Ride Geek
Ooh good thread. I didn't know about the vikingar one, cool!
Ones I think can think of...
Six Flags America still has the turntable and drop bit of Skull Mountain.
images

Not in existence anymore but Tanganyika Tidal Wave (BGT) was originally a boat ride like jungle cruise before they decided to spice it up and add a big drop. The african village bit and the rest of the layout remained the same as the old ride.
images

Son of Beast's station still exists and I believe they use it for haunts sometimes.
NPN+KI+Project+(6).jpg

Of course Coney Island's parachute drop used to be a ride.
524afe6d90816119a170f305c5c60114.jpg

That's all I can think of right now but there must be loads more.

Last edited:

spicy

Giga Poster
Nice topic!
Obligatory Orphan Rocker mention:
https://rcdb.com/1870.htm

At CWoA you can still find the old Chessington rail road track behind Rameses Revenge and the old station building was still standing until recently.

history1988-5.jpg

Old station was here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@51.348...4!1squZLLoqLtxz-hfx0DYOcow!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Same can now be said about Safari Skyway behind the Sea Lion enclosures too.

You can also spot railway remnants at Alton:
https://www.towerstimes.co.uk/history/from-the-archives/the-end-of-the-line/

You can also spot remnants of the flume through the trees behind Wickerman that have been left behind too.

And obviously Thorpe's railroad but that's only closed recently so not as fun, although I would like to see the abandoned farm now.

Peet

Giga Poster
Nice examples, here's a couple of others I'm aware of:

Footers from the original Bat at King's island (station was re-used for Vortex too)
1280px-Old_The_Bat_footer.jpg

Most of the station platform and earthworks from the Thunderlooper at Alton Towers is still in use for The Blade. Thunderlooper:
Capture.JPG

And The Blade:
42488820_awULBgwNNjlj95L_gIi_UjIWnQJ9dsMcfzF-vEzVc4A.jpg

The National Roller Coaster Museum and Archives in Texas deserves a big mention of course, they have too many items to list (anyone here ever visited?):
21368826_1507650919281017_8697670522810781210_o.jpg

Back at the Pleasure Beach, there are orphaned bits of the monorail everywhere that apparently can't easily be removed as they carry various cables etc around the park.
WTTbme6.jpg

Also I'm sure there's a park in Japan that removed an old coaster but left a loop standing as a memorial - anyone know what I'm talking about?

shaunthatkid

Mega Poster
by the bumper cars there a gold cart which reffers to old dark ride by where wallce and gromit is now today
Southport there is a god of stuff like supports of cyclone traumtazier and even knightmare on sight today

EpochEmu

Mega Poster
There's a coaster somewhere whose train could not make it around its two loops, so instead of rebuilding the loops the park added supports on the underside of the old loops, then merged the track. I can't find it, but I feel like it had something to do with Texas.