What's new

RCT3|portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - results ! (21 Oct)

gopats1479

Mega Poster
Re: portemine's Basic Coaster Contest !

That basically rules out anything for me, as I happen to love hyper and giga coasters that have incredibly long layouts with tons of airtime. They are a bear to support though, so this may be something really new.

reddude333

Giga Poster

I find hypers and gigas fairly easy to support though as you can use thicker supports and space them out more. I've even saved blocks of supports and just inserted them in multiple places (i.e. airtime hills). Ultimately its up to you though.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Yeah Hypers are the easiest to support, unless your doing a Arrow hyper, that would be tedious but still not overly difficult, I wish I was making a hyper for this contest, the support work for this is a genuine nightmare.
Having said that, I`m happy with it, its nice and modest and is about 90% complete so should be done within the next couple of days, I hope to get to the recording process started next week.

But back to you gopats, both MSJ and SW are both really user friendly, you will be fine.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Arrow hypers and other Arrow/Vekoma coasters are incredibly easy with that support set I posted here a couple weeks ago :)

But, yeah, a hyper or giga is probably in order here. Now just to decide what type...

Colossus

Giga Poster

gopats1479 said:
Arrow hypers and other Arrow/Vekoma coasters are incredibly easy with that support set I posted here a couple weeks ago.

Nope, that`s not true at all now, mines a Vekoma and I downloaded the set thinking it would be suitable for a Vekoma, but no it really is not, this set is still good , making a Arrow Hyper with this would be cool.

But does this set make all Arrows/Vekomas easy? No.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Hey port, just wanted to let you know that I might not be able to enter this comp, as I have been overloaded with schoolwork this week and won't be able to get the custom supports done until at least Sunday-Monday if I decide to stick with it.

Colossus

Giga Poster

^ Well he did state that the entry time was negotiable, I`m sure hed rather you enter than not.

Mine wont be in till next week either although its complete I still need to record, and I`m the CF Live this weekend so it wont get done till next week.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I'm hoping to enter but I have been very busy with my routine Voluntary work and job searching of late (family events causing greater pressure to be employed).

Even though it's a layout that I already have done. It's the whole making it look presentable and checking it actually does indeed fits the brief.

reddude333

Giga Poster

Sorry to double post but I was wondering what the final decision on station was. Are you judging them or is it not really necessary?

BBH

Giga Poster

I don't use custom supports in my game, but I will use Steelworx this time.

Be grateful.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I don't use strategic Block Breaks in my layouts, be grateful.

But yes, I built an original layout for the contest instead of re-purposing an existing ones. I had a feeling intelligent use of Block Breaks would be an advantage so I decided to make a new layout.

What I can say is that I enjoy near-misses. And it's a flying coaster. I hope this is one of the first frightening flying coasters.

I've also created a special looking track sequence (element) that I have positioned carefully in the layout.

This is probably the coaster I thought the most about with regards to layout.

It originally was going to be a Reverse Flying Coaster but it didn't allow blockbreaks.

Hopefully I'll do support work and record a PoV (with screenshots) after I've finished judging my own contest.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

scw55 Well, I highly regard realism in RCT3 coasters, a lack of block brakes will certainly harm your ranking, as it is a synonym of fail : not being able to find the right compromise in layout designing. However I'm positive you'll be able to overcome this hurdle and I'll find many assets in your creation. And I enjoy near-misses as well !

BBH Using Steelworx instead of Steel Jungle + Steel Chaos will also certainly hurt your score but remember supports only account for 1/6 of my scoring system, and you won't have the minimum score in supports with Steelworx !

Derek I will only judge the realism of the station, not how pretty it is - though this may influence my opinion. Realism means the presence of station platforms, station gates, queues inside the station. Extra stuff like loudspeakers, TV screens, ride operators can also help.

Examples of cool and realistic stations

89053287.jpg

57515001.jpg

Pictures : Seagull by Needval (I only dislike the in-game station barriers remaining)
More here : http://frct3.forumactif.com/t1888-seagu ... -boomerang

Shot0409.jpg

Shot0351.jpg

Pictures from IanTheFox's station tutorial : http://www.shyguysworld.com/index.php/topic,6305.0.html

BBH

Giga Poster

:O

lol, can I have the download link to the sets he used in the tutorial?

scw55

Hyper Poster

@portemine

The layout I plan to submit does have block sections and is the most functional coaster layout I've designed (the chance of a train halting to wait for the other train to reach the next point is minimal).
The near-misses involve the track itself as the contest is about the layout and as a result I haven't used the terrain or any scenery to 'force' interesting elements to the layout.

In fact the block sections are very important because it allows two trains to realistically and safely run on the track. You see without block breaks two trains would collide. The fact the breaks exist and two trains are running, it means the rider who will lose all common sense will be worried about potential collisions. I think it's fine for riders to genuinely believe they may die (when in fact they're perfectly safe). Look at Oblivion's queue line TVs.

Sadly I have no interest to create a a realistic station. If I do create a station it'll probably be in the same style as the station I did for the previous contest of the Intamin contest where the station was just a theme building and all pretty. I really dislike the idea of realistic barriers and normal things. I don't mind this negatively effecting my score. I like compromising one step at a time :> This time I've only seen the advantage of intelligent block break use mid-layout. It makes sure the layout doesn't go over the top. Because you're mentally thinking how many sections you want, then build the first and decide to make the half-way point earlier. Then you try and make the second half as interesting as the first. Then you end with a coaster that doesn't go on for too long, lacks structure and remains interesting. I had always faulted with coasters that had high speed that the footprints were messy, had too many inversions and generally fizzled out at the end. I think I will try this discipline in my future designs, so thank you portemine for giving me the inspiration to try it. Perhaps if I combine it with a 60ft limit I could create something epic yet modest.

The layout is quite compact for a B&M, but then again you have Nemesis. I don't see why B&M can't potentially build some tight coasters.

BBH

Giga Poster

I'm contemplating either building either a hyper-twister, a wing coaster or a floor-less coaster.

gopats1479

Mega Poster

@BBH I would advise against a wing coaster in RCT3. The support work is a nightmare and the wings of the trains might be "clipped."

reddude333

Giga Poster

I actually enjoy doing the support work for wing coasters but you have to have some experience with something better than Steelworx if you want to make good supports.

Alright Portemine, that response about stations changes my entire approach...thanks for the heads up.

scw55

Hyper Poster

Wingcoasters can be rewarding. You just need to take care with construction that nothing clips. See my creation thread.

Perhaps if you never built one before, it'll be a headache.