What's new

RCT3|portemine's Basic Coaster Contest - results ! (21 Oct)

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Hello everyone ! I wanted to set up a RCT3 competition here for a long time. Here it is :

porteminecontestlogocop.jpg

As many of us are very busy in their outside-RCT3 lives or with their current RCT3 projects, I thought it is relevant to organise a context with only coasters without theming. While it seems easy and quick to build a coaster, mastering the pace, the supportwork and the fun of a layout is not given to anyone.

Rules :

- No terraforming
- No theming except a station
- All CTR allowed but no CT !
- No height, length or speed restriction
- Have fun ! :p

Deadline :

September 15th, 2012
However, the date is negotiable should people need more time.

Scoring :

Similar to Derek's and Colossus's ranking system, 60% my judging and 40% public vote.
My judging will be based on :

25/60 - Layout (uniqueness, pace, elements, G-forces/airtimes, overall silhouette...)
25/60 - Realism (smoothness, G-forces, style of manufacturer, brakes)
10/60 - Supportwork (color pattern, structure, catwalks)

Useful links :
Click on the name to get the CSOs. Essential sets are in bold.

Moby Steel Jungle
Steel Chaos
Megacoaster Supports
Arrow Pack
Aged Footers
B&M Footers

ATH Catwalks
B&M Catwalks

Last words before you go on RCT3 :

"L'important, c'est de participer." Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympics.
Good luck ! :D

reddude333

Giga Poster
Re: portemine's Basic Coaster Contest !

Once I finish my video for scw55's comp, I will begin work on this one...or maybe before. Should be interesting if there is enough of a turnout. Normal pictures and pov submissions?

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Pure coaster construction. I like it :)

Definitely joining this one. Probably will be for my new park too. But no queue paths might do me in.

Colossus

Giga Poster

Lovely stuff, I`m putting this in my Pentney Lakes project, so I may struggle if I can`t use paths.

Would it be ok to use a path leading up to the coaster if it were generic looking with no theme?

Colossus

Giga Poster

Excellent, thank you.

It will now contain paths including a small queue line esq path, trees in the surrounding area because its near the already near complete Wingrider. Supports and Catwalks but that is it.
No theming, no terraforming, no transfer track and no buildings bar the station.

Other than that you`ll be pleased to hear the layout is complete, this wont take long, I should have this done in a week.

scw55

Hyper Poster

I'll give it a go. I might submit a layout I have created anyway and haven't got round to themeing yet.

It's almost a perpetual motion Coaster :p

Mushroom

Goon of the Year

Pure coaster building without scenery =D Created my coaster, now to sort out other bits that will take time. Inspired by a real life coaster too =]

JammyBand

Roller Poster

I'm in! I've just got my first CTR that looks generic so I am ready to begin the layout of my coaster. Haven't yet got round to designing it but I will try and get this done for the competition. :)

SoMuchWin

Mega Poster

I'm in, but I have a question. Are we allowed to add tress, lamps and other scenery items?

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

SoMuchWin It depends on what you mean by 'other scenery items' ^^ Otherwise, some trees and basic pathwork are tolerated but it will not enter into my judgement.

scw55 Do you mean shuttle coasters ? Well, there is no layout restriction so I do not see any particular rule for 'boomerangs' or shuttle coasters.

Entrants as of September 2nd
13 days to go !

reddude333
gopats1479
Colossus
scw55
Mushroom
SoMuchWin
JammyBand

gopats1479

Mega Poster

Was gonna use steel jungle but i don't think i will have time. does it require a learning curve?

scw55

Hyper Poster

I did mean shuttle coaster. I'm just trying to be a unique and special snowflake as usual.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

gopats1479

What do you mean by "learning curve" ? I don't think I require anything else than mentioned in my original post.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

Still do not understand your question :s

Anyway, supportwork account for 1/6 of my marking system. Not using MSJ or Steel Chaos would significantly cost you !

reddude333

Giga Poster

The learning curve for Steel Jungle is not too bad but if you are uncomfortable using it, you should try using Steelworx instead. Neither are too hard to learn but custom supports can be tedious for large layouts.

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster

2 tips if you are beginning with Steel Jungle :

- Do not use inversions in your layout ! They are challenging to support, even for experienced users like me (ever tried to support this : picture ?)
- Like Derek said, avoid large layouts