What's new

RCT2 Tutorials

Status
Not open for further replies.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Hey everyone!

This is going to be a topic where I'll post 'how-to' step-by-step tutorials... on whatever you want!

PM me with requests (architecture, building a type of coaster, etc) and I'll get around to posting information on them. Remember-- be specific! Nothing is too simple.

This is by no means the only way to do something-- it's just to give you ideas on how to build.

Hope some of these can help you out! You'll find one tutorial per post below.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Tutorial 1: General Foliage
Requested by Live for the Launch

Foliage and land textures can make or break a park's look at times. The key is making sure to not be too random, yet at the same time, don't make it look like it's man made.

I start by selecting tree varieties. You want 3 minimum. I tend to go with 4, sometimes having a 5th that comes up less frequently. It's good to have full tile trees for the most part (only 1 quarter tile at best), and also ones that complement each other. Don't pick something that's all the same shade of green. You want them not to really stand out, but not look the same either. These are my standard picks:

foliage1_640x400.jpg

Now that I have trees, I prepare my area. The wall simulates a building. And then there's the path. Since trees are large, they usually go in the back of areas, not getting in the way of views (except for small clumps). Our primary land type is grass-- so we start with that.

foliage2_640x400.jpg

Trees are places together in clumps. I go one by one, placing some of each type randomly. I don't spread them out too much, and usually follow a curved pattern as I do here (from building to path). Along the edges, some are placed further out then others-- it's not a smooth edge.

foliage3_640x400.jpg

There's not enough contrast under the trees. So we put grass+dirt under there. Generally in thicker areas of trees in real life, it won't be pristine grass. We'll also add a section of rocks. Rocks tend not to be flat, so I'll make them kind of stick out. Also-- we need a transition between trees and grass. That will come in the form of bushes. Pick from 1, 2 or all 3 types sprinkled around the edge. You can also place some along the edge of the path (in clumps), but I choose not to here.

foliage4_640x400.jpg

To spruce up the rock area, I've added 2 trees. You can do this throughout open areas in sections of 2 or more trees, in a clump with bushes around. That's what I did now. Don't forget the dirt & grass texture! I've also added flowers for color. Stick to one color generally-- red, yellow, or pink. Others are fine, but you generally won't find me using them out of habit.

foliage5_640x400.jpg

Now we'll do some water. It's rare that I use sand unless it's a beach, but Taylor was using that in her park, so I'll do it as an example. We have the water with a bank. You always have a bank, unless you're doing an ocean beach where it might be level. You'll still have a bank after the sand anyway. So don't forget it! Generally you'll have dunes between sand and other land, but we won't here. I just do a barrier of underbrush and bullrushes, making it thick enough to give a good boundary. Dirt & grass is like the universal transition material, so we use that here too. I've also done a tree clump for good measure.

foliage6_640x400.jpg

That's all for now, but there's more you can do. Also to consider is water (rivers and waterfalls) and of course, mountains. Any of these can be requested or I may get around to them myself soon!

So in conclusion, remember these things:
1. Pick a good variety of trees,
2. Clump your trees.
3. Be careful with land texture. Don't be too random with it.
4. Bushes are good as transition materials.
5. Trees are big and block views. Be careful where they go!
6. Things don't grow on rock. Keep foliage off it!

Status
Not open for further replies.