What's new

Rare Pieces of Coaster/Theme Park Merchandise?

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Do you have any rare pieces of coaster or theme park merchandise? I collect merchandise and I have a few things that might be rare.

*Son of Beast Track Bolt
*Three 40th anniversary Kings Island souvenir cups
*Dollywood River Battle mug (possibly out of production, didn't see any like it when I was there last year)
*BORG Assimilator t-shirt (don't know where it is, it's floating around my house somewhere)
*Son of Beast Keyring Light (see above, I have no idea where it is)
*Photo booth picture of my sister and I when we were little that has the Paramount's Kings Island logo on it.
*Cedar Point opening weekend 2013 t-shirt that I'm wearing now
*Kings Island Firehawk souvenir cup (might also be out of production)

So anything you have that's rare? Discuss! Basically this thread is Antiques Roadshow: Amusement Industry Edition. :p

Hutch

Strata Poster
All I have is a picture of me on Kraken, but I'm assuming on ride photos don't count.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
Really lots of random odd-ends of Cedar Point memorabilia, including (but not limited to):

- Park Maps 1991-2010
- Park Passes from here until kingdom come
- GateKeeper Shirts/satchel/press pass/random swag
- Maverick First Rider T-Shirt AND certificate. Rider #114! Be jealous! (Care to guess who rider #1 is? You know his brother)
- Ride Closed signs for maXair, TTD, MF, DT, WT, WWL, Skyhawk, and Maverick.
- Lots of cups

Oh! And I also have a 50th year anniversary pair of mickey ears from Disneyland.

peep

CF Legend
Why do you have ride closed signs? Seems like an odd one.

I have a piece of theming from the original Chessington Bubbleworks lol. That's possibly the only rare item I have.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ You don't?

Perks of working at Cedar Point Guest Services for a summer. :wink:

We were clearing out A LOT of clutter one day, and ran across these old signs that were used during their opening years. Rather than pitch them, I added them to the stash.

A very cool collection of Cedar Point memorabilia can not only be found in the Town Hall museum back in Frontier Town; but at the Merry Go Round Museum, also in Sandusky, Ohio. They often receive donated items from the community, which at one point included an original park map from the 1950s. There were a lot more trees!

rollermonkey

Strata Poster
IMO:

if you buy park merchandise as a park guest, it's probably not rare.
If you picked it up for free as a park guest, it's probably not rare.

Some ride parts like chain dogs or train wheels are quite uncommon.
Other stuff like bolts and wood chunks are not rare.

Unique items like ride signage or an entire coaster car, are rare.

Many of these things are collectible, even if not rare.

Then again, there's people who collect toenail clippings, so I guess anything might be collectible to someone.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I don't really collect much memorabilia from parks I go to, mostly because I'm too cheap to buy some overpriced shirt or knick-knack... the memories will serve me just fine. That said, I do have a couple of t-shirts from Hard Rock Park which might be considered uncommon, seeing as they were only sold for one season at a park which was sparsely attended. One is a Led Zeppelin: The Ride shirt, and the other is a gray Hard Rock Park shirt which had these really neat shiny guitar graphics that unfortunately did not hold up very well after a few wash cycles. :(

rollermonkey said:
Unique items like ride signage or an entire coaster car, are rare.

Who has that?! :shock:

TheC0asterGuy

Roller Poster
I just recently obtained an original 1971 park map from Magic Mountain. That was the year the park opened, long before being acquired by Six Flags, and it's in near perfect condition. I think that qualifies as being pretty rare.

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
A few things I forgot:

*Carolina Cobra souvenir cup (I don't think they still make these, could be wrong. Didn't see any at Carowinds when I went in 2011)
*Kings Island VIP pass (Kings Island tried to get my dad's workplace to schedule an outing there so they gave us four free tickets, VIP passes, and morning ERT on Diamondback. I still have the VIP pass in the lanyard and everything)

And keep in mind, stuff that could be rare in the future counts. I mean, look at merchandise from KI's Bat or CP's Banshee.

Intricks

Strata Poster
I have a piece from the timberliner train of Twister at Grona Lund, as well as an official serial/model plate from the Timberliners as well.

Wheel from Voyage (as well as a couple bolts).

In response to Mad, Holiday World hosts a Silent Auction during their Holiwood Nights event, and they were auctioning off some of their old Log Flume logs. I believe someone bought one.

kimahri

CF Legend
I got a first rider shirt for Outlaw Run. I picked it up cause I thought I would be Ironiclly funny...

Does the Alpengeist plushie that me and jerry harassed the gift shop for at BGW count? It's out of uh print or production or what ever. S'cute.

furie

SBOPD
Staff member
Administrator
I saved a turd from after my last visit on the last day of visiting Alton when they had a McDonald's. Nobody else has a fully digested Alton Towers McDonald's Big Mac, freeze dried*

I think that's about as far as my coaster memorabilia goes ;)

*well, put in a sandwich bag and put into the freezer... Probably should have cleaned the edges of the bag off a bit first too. you know what it's like, its hard enough to crap into a bag as it is, never mind a sloppy 12 hour old McDonald's crappy meal.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I've got:

Cedar Point - original "Banshee" T-shirt (before the coaster became Mantis)
Myrtle Beach Pavilion - Hurricane track, coin and plaque

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Agreed. It really doesn't help that the person who created the topic has no idea themselves what constitutes "rare".

It's not necessarily a bad topic, so I won't lock it. It's just that the majority of posts in it are, so far, **** ing retarded.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
I tend to agree, if you bought it in a gift shop as a guest, it's not a rare item. Even though it may be cool to us, shirts of now defunct coasters aren't all that rare and wouldn't fetch a hefty sum in resale. I have a bunch of t-shirts, key chains, and stuff like that.

Probably the only two items I have that are worth noting are posters that were made to look like blueprints for American Eagle and Iron Wolf at SFGAm. It was the 25th anniversary for Eagle a few years ago, and also happened to be the last year Iron Wolf was at the park. Both supposedly only had a limited number made, and each one was numbered. I thought they looked cool, and that's why I bought them. I'm not particularly interested in selling them later.

Here's a part of the American Eagle print. It's so large, I had to take two pictures and shop them together.

eagleblueprint.jpg

After another visit to the park, I found they also have the fake blueprints for Vertical Velocity, Roaring Rapids, and a car for X-Flight. There's no mention that those are in limited production.