What's new

Rank Your Cedar Fair Parks

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
1. Canada's Wonderland - Great selection of rides including a really good suspended coaster and my favourite B&M hyper, Behemoth. Yeah, there's some **** there as well (the invert is APPALLING), but the cool selection of flats make up for those. I'm yet to ride Leviathon as well, so I'm sure the park will go even further up in my estimations if/when I get back there.

2. Cedar Point - Far, far, far from the BEST PARK IN THE WORLD!!!!!!! but I had a great day there. Really enjoyed TTD and Magnum, Maverick was good but overrated, Mantis was a lot better than expected, everything else was a bit crap though.

4. Kings Island - Really liked Beast, Diamondback was very good, Flight of Fear and Flight Deck were both fun.

5. Kings Dominion - Similar to Kings Island really; I always get them mixed up to be honest. Really enjoyed Dominator and Volcano. Again, Flight of Fear was fun. I actually quite liked Grizzly as well. Didn't rate Intimidator 305 though, and the stand up is attrocious.

6. Worlds of Fun - Two great coasters (Patriot and Prowler), but nothing else to really speak of.

7. Dorney Park - Talon was very good. Steel Force and Possessed were ok. Everything else was crap and the place has zero atmosphere.

8. Carowinds - My least favourite park from all the ones I've visited in the USA, apart from perhaps that Rye Playland s**thole. **** ing dreadful park. Relocate Afterburn, which is a fantastic coaster, to a better park (ie, any park at all) and then just drop a bomb on the place.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
I've only been to Cedar Point and Kings Island. Surprisingly, I thought Kings Island was better overall than Cedar Point. It just seemed a little more spread out and not compact as Cedar Point. It also seemed a little cleaner. That might have had to do with the fact that there wasn't sea gull crap on everything.

kimahri

CF Legend
Kings Dominion is ****

Dorney Park is lifeless and sterile.

Other than maverick's area Cedar Point is kinda the same.

Naemuti

Mega Poster
Cedar Point is definitely at the top of my list and probably most people's lists. It's got history and a location on the water which set it apart from a lot of the other CF parks that are downright boring cookie cutter concrete wastelands (like Dorney). It also has maXair which is possibly my favorite flat ride ever and Maverick which is very high up on my top 10 list and a couple of other great coasters which make it easier for me to look over the mediocre rides.

Knott's is cool I guess, they have an amazing log ride that everyone should see at least once. Xcelerator was down the day I went, as was Montezooma's, so I can't say anything about them. Silver Bullet was a pretty good B&M invert, even though a lot of them kind of ride the same, and GhostRider did not bother me as much as it did some people. I actually thought GhostRider was really good. Must be mental I guess. Anyways I'd probably go back to Knott's some day, hopefully with all the rides operating.

King's Dominion used to be a Paramount park so of course it's at least a little nicer right off the bat because of that. I like the waterfall/Eiffel Tower area near the front of the park and it's got Volcano which I absolutely adore and there's enough mediocre coasters that you can spend a day there. A lesser Cedar Point.

Carowinds is...Carowinds. It has a distinctly shady area under some greenery and shade is absolutely to be treasured in a Cedar Fair park, but I can't say anything makes me want to go back except Afterburn. Maybe Intimidator. Carolina Cobra is the best standard boomerang ever because of the new trains but it's still just a boomerang.

Dorney Park is UGH just UGH. Talon is the lone bright spot.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Best and worst Cedar Fair parks?

I've only been to 2 (WoF and VF), soon to be 4, as when i get a car, I'm going to make a long road trip to Cedar Point and Kings Island. Heres the best IMO-
•Cedar point- Obviously.
•Kings Island
•Kings Dominion
•Canada's Wonderland

Worst-
•Michigans Adventures- Only got one worth while ride (Shivering Timbers)
•California's Great America

Neutral zone-
•WoF
•Valley Fair
•Carowinds

CPSFMMCW

Mega Poster
Re: Best and worst Cedar Fair parks?

Heres my rankings:

Cedar Point
Canada's Wonderland
Kings Island
Kings Dominion
Knott's Berry Farm
Carowinds
Dorney Park
Worlds Of Fun
Valleyfair
California's Great America
Michigan's Adventure

Edward M

Strata Poster

Best- Cedar Point. My dad and I's favorite park. We couldn't put our finger on it, but we loved. It is a great park. It has a strange old school charm (IMO!!!) that I love. The coaster collection is also probably the best in the world

Worst- Worlds of Fun- decent park. It is a bit too tiny, and the collection is poor. The park itself is good but just good. It has some nice areas, but it is mainly concrete.

Neutral (in order)- Kings Island
Kings Dominion

Hobbes

Mega Poster

Only been to three Cedar Fair parks myself: CP, Carowinds and Dorney. Cedar Point was definitely my favorite of the three. Nice selection and has my favorite ride (MForce). The park also had that "this place is awesome" type atmosphere.

I give the middle spot to Carowinds. Just an overall solid park with a couple rides I really like (Intimidator, Afterburn).

I put Dorney last because I just didn't get excited while I was there. Felt like the park was really lacking something. (Talon spited me :( )My dad and I only lasted a few hours before we decided to call it quits.

So...
1. Cedar Point
2. Carowinds
3. Dorney Park

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
I may have posted in this already. Here is what I am feeling today, from what I have visited..

Knotts Berry Farm
Canada's Wonderland
Cedar Point
Kings Dominion
Dorney Park
Carowinds

steel

Mega Poster
I cannot even express how much I loathe the chronic negativity and pessimism of the enthusiast community. Honestly, find a new hobby if your requirements for a decent amusement park are so pointlessly rigid that you can't even enjoy yourself.

1. Cedar Point
2. Canada's Wonderland
3. Kings Island
4. Worlds of Fun
5. Valleyfair
6. Dorney Park
7. Carowinds
8. Kings Dominion
(Geauga Lake)
9. Michigan's Adventure

Haven't been to Knott's or CGA (or Gilroy Gardens)

Naemuti

Mega Poster
steel said:
I cannot even express how much I loathe the chronic negativity and pessimism of the enthusiast community. Honestly, find a new hobby if your requirements for a decent amusement park are so pointlessly rigid that you can't even enjoy yourself.

Sorry I have standards bro

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
rtotheizzo17 said:
I may have posted in this already. Here is what I am feeling today, from what I have visited..

Knotts Berry Farm
Canada's Wonderland
Cedar Point
Kings Dominion
Dorney Park
Carowinds

Knotts Berry Farm
Canada's Wonderland
Cedar Point
Kings Island
Kings Dominion
Dorney Park
Carowinds

VF15

Roller Poster
I haven't been to all of these parks, but these are my rankings based on all that I know.

1) Cedar Point
2) Kings Island
3) Kings Dominion
4) Canada's Wonderland
5) Carowinds
6) Knott's Berry Farm
7) Dorney Park
8) Worlds of Fun
9) Valleyfair
10) California's Great America
11) Michigan's Adventure

steel said:

I couldn't agree more with this statement. With how overly critical some enthusiasts are of roller coasters and amusement parks, you think that the GP enjoys them more than we do, which sort of defeats the purpose of being an enthusiast. The parks at the bottom of my list aren't necessarily bad parks. In fact, Valleyfair is my home park, and even though it isn't the world's most amazing park, I still have lots of fun whenever I go.

bmac

Giga Poster
Cedar Point is my number one amongst the three Cedar Fair parks I've been to. There's really not much to say that hasn't already been said.

Kings Dominion is probably the oddest park I've been to. 3 launchers, all right next to each other, 4 woodies, and passed between so many management groups you'd think the park is twice as old as it really is (4 owners in 40 years). All their coasters are fairly average, some are good (Grizz, Av) and some are bad (Shockwave, Hurler). They took a chance and are bringing back the original KECO charm from back in 1974-1975, which I haven't experienced yet but hope it's changed the atmosphere up a little.

Dorney is the worst on the list, but not the worst park I've been to. The park really screams of being a satellite park in the way Cedar Fair has been treating it lately, I mean the last three additions have all been from other parks. You'd think they'd take a park that advertises to Philadelphia and competes with Great Adventure and Hersheypark a little more seriously, but it is easily 3rd on that list. I have not been since 2008, but I know not much has changed in the park over the last 6 years. There's no shade, and no sign of the park actually being older than the 1980s besides Thunderhawk and their Whip, that's just how little of its history has been preserved under Cedar Fair. At least Alphundo is coming back this year, I guess?

rtotheizzo17

Hyper Poster
VF15 said:
I haven't been to all of these parks, but these are my rankings based on all that I know.

1) Cedar Point
2) Kings Island
3) Kings Dominion
4) Canada's Wonderland
5) Carowinds
6) Knott's Berry Farm
7) Dorney Park
8) Worlds of Fun
9) Valleyfair
10) California's Great America
11) Michigan's Adventure

I went ahead and bolded the error of your ways. Feel free to make corrections and resubmit. :)

Jarrett

Most Obnoxious Member 2016
Rank the Cedar Fair Parks

Pretty self-explanatory. List the Cedar Fair parks you visited in order of most to least preferred and explain why you ranked them that way.

I'll start:

Cedar Point- It's an island dominated by coasters, what's not to like? This park has it all. Great rides, great location, and it's easy to stay near the park.
Kings Island- My home park would have been much lower on this list until very recently. It has my favorite hyper, favorite invert (which is my #4), and the best night ride anywhere. Not to mention a pretty awesome Arrow suspended and some nice theming in some parts.
Knott's Berry Farm- I feel like I caught this park on a bad day because I got spited on Xcelerator, Ghostrider, and Pony Express but this park doesn't feel like a Cedar Fair park one bit. The theming is by far the most immersive and beautiful of any Cedar Fair park. It lacks a bit in the ride lineup but it's not for enthusiasts, it's for families. However, Silver Bullet is a nice, smooth, solid invert and Sierra Sidewinder totally blew me away with how crazy it was. I totally forgot I was in metropolitan LA at this park, I'd love to take the family here someday. Maybe I'll win those plane tickets from the KI contest. ;) I'm still kicking myself for rushing through such a fab park and not doing the train or stagecoach.
Carowinds- This park is a concrete jungle with a weaker lineup than little family friendly KBF, a crap waterpark, and the world's blandest entrance. The only things I like are its special location, Afterburn, and the somewhat-themed boardwalk area. Hopefully Centurion makes it less yucky.
Kings Dominion- Gross park! Some of the rides are okay (I-305 ROCKS and Volcano is a top 20-er for me but not much other than that). Granted, like KBF, I hit it on a bad day and got spited on over half the creds, but the only major one was Dominator and after riding Scream, I'm convinced I didn't miss much. It's hard to get around, it's ugly, the area it's in didn't seem to be very accommodating, and it had some of the worst park food I've ever eaten.

So yeah, post away! :)

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
Re: Rank the Cedar Fair Parks

Well, none. :lol:

After this summer, Cedar Point for all spots. :)

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk