What's new

Rank the Comic Book Coasters

Edward M

Strata Poster
Inspired by @Matt N 's fun Superman ranking thread, I figured, why not try and expand that further? It's amazing just how many coasters can fall into this category. It's telling of just how much Six Flags has relied on their DC Comics IP to "theme" coasters.

1. Superman the Ride, SFNE: An easy choice for number one, of the coasters I've ridden. The layout goes on for days and days with an amazing distinction between out and back airtime hills into a twister finale.
  2. Mind Bender: Before 2021, this would have been questionable as a comic book inspired coaster. It's located in Gotham City and has a riddler iconography sprinkled around its entrance and queue. However, with the 2021 refurb changing it to RIDDLER Mindbender, I suppose it's not even questionable anymore. Some good ole Schwarkopf goodness here.
  3. TMNT Shellraiser: I was surprised to even see this here, but TMNT is most certainly a comic book/superhero property. So, have to place this. It's a really good, almost great coaster. The layout is fantastic with one helluva launch to start out with, but it's got some nasty potholes along with being grossly unthemed. I'm fine with not theming a coaster but to have the station and opening inversion that bare, is a bit embarrassing.
  4. Mr. Freeze Reverse Blast: These Mr. Freeze clones are about as good as a shuttle coaster can get. Blunt, forceful and to the point but not without distinctive elements to help it stand out among the rest of a park's offerings. Have only been on SFSL version, but I don't imagine there's much difference between the two.
  5. Incredible Hulk Coaster: My one ride post retracking was not great, for some reason. However, I can't help but keep this highly regarded because of a. all the great rides I've gotten on it over the years and b. the sheer iconic status it holds. I think a coaster's placement and presentation can be overlooked sometimes, but Hulk's role in the park as this massive coaster right by the entrance does wonders for Islands of Adventure.
  6. Superman Krypton Coaster, SFFT: The quarry wall is everything when it comes to this ride. The fun of diving on and off it can't be overstated. It may not use it to the same benefit as Iron Rattler, but any coaster at that park would be greatly elevated by involving its layout into that awesome setting (looking at you Dr. Diabolical...)
  7. Dominator, KD (aka Batman: Knight Flight at Geauga Lake): This was a hard one to decide whether or not to include. I ultimately erred on the side of including previous themes or relocations into the equation in this ranking, but any other member's list should feel free to choose otherwise (certainly will make your lists easier...) Another solid B&M Floorless here. It's got an odd layout, but, with a coaster model as homogenous as the B&M Floorless, that's definitely a good thing.
  8. Incredicoaster: I considered calling this "best superhero/supervillain coasters," but I decided on comic book coasters, to make the distinction of what exactly that means a bit easier (plus it's a bit catchier). However, that distinction becomes less easy with a property like the Incredibles. Not really based on a comic book but definitely a superhero themed coaster. I've included it here, but I'm still not sure what does or doesn't belong at this point. Oh ya, the ride. Only rode it as CA Screamin, but it's a very well done Disney coaster. Not many forces but great presentation and a long duration.
  9. Batman: the Ride clones: Finally, the caped crusader makes an appearance! And on his most famous coaster. These inverts are really brilliant. One tends to grow tired of them because they are so heavily cloned, but the layout is impeccable. Very compact but never in the detriment of high Gs.
  10. Bizarro: The aforementioned B&M hegemony rears its head. Maybe it's not a bad thing. The "loop, *fill in with own element*, Zero-G, Cobra Roll, 2 corkscrews" layout does work quite well. However, as you ride more and more coasters, it can grow a bit tiresome. Bizarro is probably one of the better of these cookie cutter layouts, if only for being made so early on in B&M's portfolio.
  11. Riddler Revenge, SFNE: I love SLCs! People can bash them all they want, but they are wonderful in their absolute stupidity. They're shoddily put together with forces that are too intense for either the trains or track, and I love it! This is one of those with vest restraints which really makes all the difference in being able to appreciate said forces without playing defensive in a boxing match with those OTSRs.
  12. The Shredder: This is a great spinning coaster, maybe my favorite of the fun, family friendly genre. In fact, I think it may be too good. I got two rides in a row in unevenly distributed cars, and I was feeling fairly sick by the end of it. I feel like I'm getting more nauseous in my old age (of 22...)
  13. Superman: Ultimate Flight, SFOG: I put the location here because Over Georgia's is the only of these clones I like. Flyers work best either close to the ground or high in the air. With the parking lot clone at SFGAdv, it doesn't end up meeting either criteria, whereas OG's successfully hugs the ground through most of the layout after the pretzel loop. Gonna count both clones at this spot though.
  14. Batman the Dark Knight: Basically, the usual B&M Floorless but on a smaller scale. It's got a zippy Zero-G but nothing else sticks out otherwise.
  15. Joker clones: These are fun but get tiresome after a few rides. They're glorified flats, which isn't even necessarily a bad thing. We can see how that concept can work with Arashi or Dragon Slayer. However, the Six Flags variety tend to be more about rocking back and forth for the ride with a flip here and there (if you're lucky).
  16. Superman Escape from Krypton: A one trick pony but a well done trick. The launch isn't very forceful, with such a gradual push, but the ascent and descent are very fun with a nice view. Plus, I think there's something to be said for the first coaster to push past 100 mph.
  17. Possessed, Dorney Park (aka Superman Ultimate Escape at Geauga Lake): Another Geauga Lake reject. I can't really be bothered with these Intamin impulses. I like them well enough, but I rode this one at noon in the front row which meant I was blinded for half the ride.
  18. Xpress Platform 13, Walibi Holland (aka Superman the Ride): Maybe shouldn't have included rethemes at the end of the day, but here we are. It's rock n roller coaster outside, next.
  19. Dark Knight, SFGAdv: A wild mouse in a shed, more or less. I do appreciate its attempt at theming in places, and it's got a pretty great preshow. Not much of note apart from that.
  20. Catwoman's Whip: This Zierer Tivoli model is really solid for a kiddy cred.
  21. Harley Quinn Crazy Train: Ditto.
  22. Gotham City Gauntlet Escape from Arkham Asylum: When the most memorable aspect of your coaster is the length of its name, it's a bad sign.
  23. Green Lantern, SFGAdv:

Matt N

CF Legend
Great thread idea @Edward M; I never thought of doing all the comic book coasters!

I also never realised how many comic book coasters there actually were… there are a lot! Only one I’ve done is Incredible Hulk at IOA, though, so I’m unsure if I can really make a list…