• Oblivion: The Black Hole - Gardaland

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • SheiKra - Busch Gardens Tampa

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • Valkyria - Liseberg

Votes: 8 14.5%
  • Valravn - Cedar Point

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Western Regions Heaven - Happy Valley (Chengdu)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hutch

Strata Poster
Might as well have one for these, right?

1. Griffon - My first DM and it's still my favorite. It has the usual drop into the Immelmann, but the extra airtime moments in the second half elevate it to the top. Splashdown is nice too.

2. Valravn - With the best inversion selection and a nice airtime hill, the layout is arguably better than Griffon. But I only got one ride and I was assigned the back row. I didn't have a problem with the vest restraints and the wind at the very top added to the ride.

3. Sheikra - Probably the prettiest one I've done, but the layout isn't as strong. The drops are good and the splashdown is fun, but there's not much else.

4. Oblivion - For what it does, it's great, but it's just a drop and that's it. The tunnel is very good but I don't rave about it like others. The main problem is the length, or lack thereof.

Snoo

The Legend
1. Sheikra
2. Valravn
3. Griffon

Sheikra just felt more powerful and better overall on the main drop. Overall, they're all pretty good so much like the RMC thread, no hate intended, but Sheikra takes the cake.

Edward M

Strata Poster
1. Sheikra- didn’t love it but, in retrospect, it had an interesting theme, superior drop, tunnel, and water landing.
2. Valravn- this has an amazing view and solid layout but it’s just a bit... lifeless? Idk, in Cedar Point, the drop just isn’t that intimidating, and the theming and look are bleh. It’s all a bit bleh actually.

Snoo

The Legend
1. Sheikra- didn’t love it but, in retrospect, it had an interesting theme, superior drop, tunnel, and water landing.
2. Valravn- this has an amazing view and solid layout but it’s just a bit... lifeless? Idk, in Cedar Point, the drop just isn’t that intimidating, and the theming and look are bleh. It’s all a bit bleh actually.

I LOVED that theming which I think throws it even higher. Both Griffon and Valravn didn't have.. well anything. But you felt the entire area with Sheikra which, in SOME cases, can push it over the top. As little separates these rides, <3

GuyWithAStick

Captain Basic
1. Valravn.

It's meh. Didn't do much for me at all. It looks cool, I guess? But it's just... there.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Lofty

CF Legend
1) Oblivion.
No other Dive Machine has the same impact as this coaster. Yes, it's the shortest, but the experience is second to none.

2) Valravn
Just the sheer scale of it for me.

3) Oblivion The Black Hole
Pretty fun and a little airtime.

4) Sheikra
Just fun?

5) Baron 1898.
I wasn't bowled over by it.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
Struggled a bit to remember them all.

1. Krake - Just like the overall aesthetics of it the most. Looks good, got good music, got an airtime hill.
29383187618_fdc91d65a1_z.jpg

Meet my Krake.

2. Dive Coaster - Think what I enjoy most about these is the height and the sustain in the first drop of the big ones. This one had the added bonus of not stopping on the blocks and hauling into the second drop.
3. Diving Coaster - As above, but does stop on the blocks. On one train.
4. Baron 1898 - Theme and stuff is better than the ride itself.
5. Western Regions Heaven - Just an inferior experience of the big ones, complete with 2nd half of boring corners.
6. Oblivion - I admire it, but just a bit over it now.

Agree with Snoo in that they're all pretty solid. Even the bottom one is still a decent ride. I'd even say they're quite interchangeable depending on what mood you're in.

Howie

Donkey in a hat
1. Oblivion. You know my feelings on this one - it's a masterpiece. The perfect marriage of ride concept, theme and execution. The fear I felt on those first few rides will live with me forever.

2. Valravn. Like Lofty, I was just awed by the sheer size of the thing. It's magnificent.

3. Baron. A really good, all round package. Lovely to look at, great attention to detail and, like Oblivion, the theme actually matches the ride concept. It rides well, too.

4. Griffon. Big, beautiful and lovely to ride. Yep, very good overall.

5. Sheikra. Very similar to Griffon - another big, impressive coaster that looks and rides really well.

6. Krake. Still lots of fun, with a decent theme, but just too small to compete with the big boys.

Matt N

CF Legend
I've actually ridden 2 of these, so this ranking isn't quite as easy as the B&M hyper or wing coaster ranking:
  1. SheiKra - Loved this! Some nice intense moments, excellent drop and nice variety of elements that are executed beautifully! Very smooth, as well. My personal number 3 coaster!
  2. Oblivion - Even though it's much shorter than SheiKra, I still love this ride! The drop is really good and intense and the ride feels very fast when you have the wind blowing in your face! Still going strong after 20 years of operation! It's not top 10 material for me anymore, but it's still my 4th favourite at Alton and it's still an excellent ride!

CanobieFan

Strata Poster
Of my 4....
Sheikra
Griffon
Oblivion
Valravn - Actually had high hopes for it.... And it was so...poor? Rode it twice over two visits and it was so underwhelming both times and then add in how 'rough' it engages with the holding chain....and awful vests...and the rather uncomfortable slam stop at the end..... I was honestly surprised how bad it was. Having Sheikra just over an hour away really showcased the flaws in Valravn.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Griffon - I feel like this coaster deserves a lot more appreciation. It rides beautifully, the floating sensation down that massive drop is delightful as is the fabulous ejector you receive in the back row. It’s a wonderful coaster I could pretty much ride all day.

Sheikra - I agree this has a more notable setting than Griffon, and it also shares many of its positive qualities. However, it’s not as smooth as Griffon I don’t think, and the second half of the layout is weaker. Still, it’s a fantastic coaster because the drops <3.

Oblivion: The Black Hole - Hard to rank the three mainland Europe dive machines; they’re all so similar to me. I don’t find them as impactful as the Busch ones because they’re smaller, and only have the one “vertical” drop. I think this one has the slightly stronger forces of Krake combined with the added length of Baron, so it’s tentatively my no.1 in Europe.

Baron 1898 - Absolutely gorgeous coaster, with a cool zero g roll and a fun layout. Plus, I think it has my favourite “hole” because of the fab mist! I’m definitely thinking now whether this should be above OTBH but honestly it’s hard to say. Maybe out of all things, I’m most partial to the better airtime hill found on the above.

Krake - Short but very sweet. Has the best Immelmann out of all the Dive machines and also a great airtime hill. It may only have three elements but each one delivers. Like most of these, I could ride all day. I think maybe the coaster itself is a little more forceful than Baron but Baron’s amazing theming has to count for something.

Valravn - Urghhh, this one frustrates me. I ****ing hate those bloody vest restraints, more on this than any other coaster. What I love about Dive machines is having some breathing room with the standard B&M OTSRs so I can float out of my seat all the way down the drop. These restraints are tight and don’t allow that, which was very disappointing. Such a big drop shouldn’t feel so meh. The layout is probably the best one, so with the standard OTSRs it could’ve been my favourite, but alas, it was underwhelming.

Oblivion - Yeah, no, I’m that impacted by this one anymore. In fact, I’m not sure I ever really was that much? This was my first dive machine, but after I rode Sheikra I instantly found that much better and more impactful. The hole is cool, but I’m over it now. The sensation of height doesn’t compete with the American ones, the holding brake delay is far too short nowadays, the theming is outdated, the lack of floorless carriages restricts freedom, so the drop isn’t actually that special. It’s a good fun ride, but I don’t subscribe to the idea that it is the pinnacle of all dive machines.

Hutch

Strata Poster
Meant to do this in my original post, but I added a poll at the top. I really like these "Rank the xxx" threads but sometimes it's hard to see what the favorites really are (other than just scrolling through and counting up everyone's No. 1's). I decided to add Valkyria too, seeing as it should be opening soon and I imagine some of us will check it out.

DelPiero

Strata Poster
  1. Oblivion
  2. Krake
  3. Sheikra
  4. Valravn
  5. Baron 1898
Not that Baron or Valravn are bad, Baron has the faaaaaaaab theming but the ride itself it just meh. Val has a great drop but that's it.

b&mfanboy123

Mega Poster
1.Griffon - fun drop with good air and really nice inversions. Overall 8.5/10
2. Sheikra - it has a good drop and all but the second half is kind of boring.But aesthetically is so beautiful and nice. 8/10
3. Valravn - It has the potential but the restraints ruin this ride. No floater or anything, even the 270 degree roll gave no hang time due to the restraints.7/10

Y. Kim

Mega Poster
1. Draken
Near my home 30 minute by car(the closest roller coaster in my home) i've ridden it 7 times a day. Great drops. Just smooth , not intense. Great. I've almost float out of my seat.

2. Griffon
Same as Draken. I've ride it once. It has less theming than Draken, But 10 seat per line is good
3. Shekira
Just good
4. Valravn
VEST Restraint?
Almost no weightlessness because of that. B&M's OTSR restraint is a few baggy to me and I can feel more weightlessness even on Draken
5. Baron 1898
Not high but Great themed(more than Draken)

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
1. Krake - Just like the overall aesthetics of it the most. Looks good, got good music, got an airtime hill.
2. Dive Coaster - Think what I enjoy most about these is the height and the sustain in the first drop of the big ones. This one had the added bonus of not stopping on the blocks and hauling into the second drop.
3. Draken - As below, but theming.
4. Diving Coaster - Same as Dive, but does stop on the blocks. On one train.
5. Baron 1898 - Theme and stuff is better than the ride itself.
6. Western Regions Heaven - Just an inferior experience of the big ones, complete with 2nd half of boring corners.
7. Oblivion - I admire it, but just a bit over it now.

Last edited:

mo237

Roller Poster
I've only done two and funnily enough they're often regarded as the weaker ones.

1. Baron 1898- What a stunning ride, the theatricality of it is great fun and it's a nice floaty coaster.
2. Oblivion- Despite what people say, I still love this ride, and I still get a little nervous when riding it. Execution is there but the ride is feeling very tired and it needs a refresh asap.

HeartlineCoaster

Theme Park Superhero
1. Valkyria - More fast paced, better layout.
2. Krake - Just like the overall aesthetics of it. Looks good, got good music, got an airtime hill.
3. Dive Coaster - Think what I enjoy most about these is the height and the sustain in the first drop of the big ones. This one had the added bonus of not stopping on the blocks and hauling into the second drop.
4. Draken - As below, but theming.
5. Diving Coaster - Same as Dive, but does stop on the blocks. On one train.
6. Baron 1898 - Theme and stuff is better than the ride itself.
7. Western Regions Heaven - Just an inferior experience of the big ones, complete with 2nd half of boring corners.
8. Oblivion - I admire it, but just a bit over it now.

Peet

Giga Poster
1. Oblivion - perfect simplicity. It must be by far the deepest cut-and-cover tunnel ever dug for a roller coaster right?
2. Baron 1898 - one of the most beautiful coasters out there. The ride is fun but nothing special.
3. Obliviono (ie Italian Oblivion)
4. Krake - a dive machine without a hole is like a cake without icing. And that ship with a kraken's mouth stuck to the side of it - what were they thinking!?

Something I have never figured out is why they don't all use a double loading system like Oblivion. It works so well on Oblivion, seems like they nailed it the first time, but all the others I've been on just load one car at a time. Saw is the only other ride I can think of that uses that system.