What's new

Rameses Revenge stuck at CWoA; Angry FB posts to follow

Rob

Mega Poster
I think I share the feelings of no major love loss here. I'm highly surprised though that there was no mechanical solution to this? I mean, it's an air pressure system that locks the gondola into position, and a broadly counter-weighted ride but still slightly heavier on the riders end, could they not just have drained the air and shut it down?

Although saying that it does suggest it'd likely be some form of gearbox failure, which would explain the thing just camming up and staying put, but again, surely there will be some manual over-ride for the restraints? I'm not being funny, but it's a theme park ride, not a straight jacket...

UNLESS doing so would cause more problems, infact, that seems quite probable, from the best of my memory the restraints are very much an all or nothing type system; they are all locked, or all released, you can't do manual releases... (or never witnessed it anyway). Which, I'm sure you can imagine the scene as 32 people all are freed after being stranded 4 hours.

And with that, all I am wondering is, is ripsaw still open? Surely, unless they know why it happened already, ripsaw would be vulnerable to a similar type of issue, and should be suitably modified etc before being re-opened?

Finally... oh well, they really are poor flat rides when they get into the state the Merlin's ones are, get rid of the lot and give us a few more screamin' swings and top scans. Thank you.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Rob said:
Surely, unless they know why it happened already, ripsaw would be vulnerable to a similar type of issue, and should be suitably modified etc before being re-opened?

There are hundreds of Top Spins around. They're not going to close and modify them all based on an eighteen-year-old ride having a problem. If Merlin have got any sense they'll double check that Ripsaw is fully up-to-date with its maintenance though, as it's almost as old.

Luxornv

Mega Poster
The restraints can't be taken apart by way of a few bolts or anything? I was stuck on Skyhawk at Cedar Point a few years ago and when they couldn't release the lap bar for me, they called maintenance and a mechanic unscrewed 2 1/4-20 bolts and slid the lap bar off of the nub that was connected to the locking system. I assume all screaming swings are this way, and just thought all other rides had some way of disassembling the restraints.

sparky2u

Mega Poster
What's the latest on this ride..? Does Chessington have a height limit for rides as I'll love to see a "Star-flyer" complete with LED lighting added where "Rameses" stood.

ciallkennett

Strata Poster
1011313_574216755963101_1646444403_n.jpg

1044346_574216669296443_1651059672_n.jpg

1012296_574216685963108_385857939_n.jpg

From the looks of it, I'd say it was still being assessed and/or worked on.

Images courtesy of Ride Rater

sparky2u

Mega Poster
I say don't bother with Rameses Revenge & send it for scrap, add a Star Flyer in it's place with a LED light package, does Chessington have a ride height limit..?

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
sparky2u said:
I say don't bother with Rameses Revenge & send it for scrap, add a Star Flyer in it's place with a LED light package, does Chessington have a ride height limit..?
I'm afraid if I'm right Chessingtons height limit is even stricter than Altons. To be honest I can't see them doing anything with the ride for quite some time, of course they may decide to fix it up, but I can see it being another black hole tent. Although we can always hope, Chessie really do need something new in the theme park area, rather than constant updates of the zoo. Here's hoping they talk to Gerstlauer about getting one of those Sky Rollers. Or perhaps ABC Rides about getting some form of mini drop tower (less intense than sub terra)

AJ

Giga Poster
They won't leave it as a hole in the ground or SBNO for ages, I'm sure. They spent a lot on re-doing the whole of the queue-line area recently, no?

silenthillXD

Hyper Poster
AJ said:
They won't leave it as a hole in the ground or SBNO for ages, I'm sure. They spent a lot on re-doing the whole of the queue-line area recently, no?
Good point, I seem to remember hearing they redid it last year alongside the changes to the Tomb Blaster area. Also it's worth noting it's still up on their website listed as one of their rides, so perhaps there is some hope for it after all! How popular does it tend to be? I haven't been to chessie in ages, but every time I have been to Alton recently Ripsaw has pretty much been a walk on.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
Not that I'm suggesting this as a realistic option, but surely a second-hand Top Spin can be picked up for pennies, can't it? There are thousands of the bloody things lying about.

Robbie

Hyper Poster
I wonder if Excalibur 2 is still available from Camelot? Having already had kids fall out of it, it would be ideal for Chessington.