What's new

"Prowler" - GCI Woodie for Worlds of Fun

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
The name has been confirmed to be Prowler, and the logo was released. I figured it was time to start a topic. This was announced at their Coaster Mayhem event.

prowler3_719.jpg

The announcement date has been set to September 1st.

Pokemaniac

Mountain monkey
Staff member
Administrator
I hope it will be somewhat tall. As far as GCIs go, the taller their rides are, the more do enthusiasths seem to love them. For the record, Troy and Thunderhead are their tallest rides so far.

Well, September 1st, is that when this topic is going to be stickied?

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
^It already is, just in case you didn't notice. I'm interested in this, although I feel like it's the biggest piece of news from WoF since Patriot. I don't know why, but it's just not a park you hear from. At least they're adding this. At first I thought this was going to be that other GCI that's going to that one park(I can't remember the name for crap) in Europe somewhere(the topic is in this forum).

Anybody else think this is going to be similar to Renegade?

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
I can't say I've ever been disappointed by a GCI (yes, even Gwazi). They seem to keep getting better every year as Chris and the guys tweak the designs just a little bit each time. There's more airtime then there once was, everything's smoother, and those trains are still the best things you can find on a coaster. I'm excited to see the layout as I hope it'll be a nice custom design. Good for World's of Fun too as they're not removing a coaster to put the ride in as many (most) of their past additions have.

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
A video appeared on Worlds of Fun's website, I'd go check it out.

The video describes it as a ground-hugging terrain-twisting type of ride, with a 102 foot elevation change throughout the course of the ride.

There is no press release yet, but as of the video, here are some stats:

85 ft. first drop
51 mph
102 ft. elevation change

And the best part, Millenium Fliers!

By the video, it looks to have tons of twisting and turning, plus a decent amount of airtime, too.

I'll post a press release later if it comes out today.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
^ You know, giving a link never hurts. :wink:

http://www.worldsoffun.com/

Though this is admittedly a stab in the dark, given the small drop and speed it could be possible to see a similar layout to that new German GCI.

unknown_2_207-1.jpg

Though Prowler is 6 mph faster and 15 ft. taller, I would imagine a similar ground hugging design and layout.

Here's the link to the News Update for that German GCI.

http://www.coasterforce.com/home/p2_articleid/607

Ben

CF Legend
^Um... or the layout could be this.

prowler_aerial.png

With a news announcement of...

KANSAS CITY, MO – Deep in the woods of Worlds of Fun a dangerous predator lurks, ready to shred those fighting to escape the claws of the new PROWLER roller coaster. Beginning in spring 2009, guests at Worlds of Fun amusement park in Kansas City, Missouri, become prey to PROWLER, a beast of a wooden coaster tangled within the park’s forested terrain.

The two-and-a-half minute high speed chase begins with the ride’s only feature above the trees’ cover, a swooping 85 foot plummet into a ravine. After the spiral plunge, the train rips through a seemingly endless amount of high speed hills and sharply banked turns that hug the wooded land below. With a top speed of 51 MPH, riders grasped in the clutches of PROWLER carve a path with powerful but smooth changes of direction, speed, and elevation.

Prowler is an $8 million investment and is located in the Africa section of the park near the Zulu thrill ride. The classic wood structure blends through a forest of unique terrain, creating a total elevation change of 102 feet throughout the course of the 3,074 foot ride.

“PROWLER reinforces our dedication to being the region’s leading thrill park and family entertainment destination,” said Frank Wilburn, Vice President and General Manager at Worlds of Fun. “This wild roller coaster will attract both families and thrill-seekers when it opens this spring.”

PROWLER is custom designed and built for the topography of Worlds of Fun by Great Coasters International, Inc. (GCI) of Sunbury, Pennsylvania. The adventure begins when riders board one of two custom 12 row, 24 passenger GCI Millennium Flyer trains. These extremely comfortable trains feature a metallic blue, green, and copper color scheme with black seats and accommodate approximately 850 riders per hour.

PROWLER is the seventh roller coaster at Worlds of Fun and is scheduled to open spring 2009. Construction is currently underway, but those who cannot wait until spring may take a virtual ride on PROWLER at worldsoffun.com. Visitors to worldsoffun.com may also access exclusive PROWLER updates and features, like a live construction Web cam, virtual renderings, ride statistics, construction photos, blog, and online fun.

It's been announced you know, lol.

It's all http://prowler.worldsoffun.com/

And it looks awesome!

SFMMMan

Mega Poster
^Thanks guys, I couldn't find it anywhere on the website.

I'll edit the post to include the press release.

CedarPoint6

Hyper Poster
Interesting to see them move to a bit of a more out and back style lately. Obviously this is a terrain issue here, but it's interesting to see them go with a lot less crossovers, etc.

It's a very nice looking layout and should maintain its speed fantastically. Like Marcus said, kind of reminds of a Voyage/Beast cross. Looking forward to all that GCI type air into and out of some of those corners.

Antinos

Slut for Spinners
I don't think the ride gets more than 30 feet off the ground after the lifthill. Those tiny twisting bunnyhops at the end look sexy too. It'll be worth a trip down there, especially for those Millie Flyers, but I don't think I'll be down there soon.

PLCP

Mega Poster
As CP6 said, looks like a cross of Beast and Voyage. Which, coupled with Flyers, should be sexy.

Hyde

Matt SR
Staff member
Social Media Team
I'm surprised no one has really bashed the layout yet! :razz:

The only deciding factor on this coaster will be its speed.

If it is able to keep up the speed, those airtime hills will sing and the coaster should be a good ride.

As mentioned before, very Beast-ish.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I'm not surprised.. what's to bash?
It's nothing extravagant, but it's obviously going to be a very fun ride. UC pretty much said it earlier, that GCI's are all pretty much the same: they're relatively short but they maintain their speed throughout the course, they have lots of twists and turns and little pops of air, sometimes where you don't expect it.
They're all the same, but they're all a joy to ride! I really like the way this one darts through the trees and makes use of the terrain.

A

Anonymous

The Prowler

There is really nothing too negative to say about this layout. Beast like, though, come on, looks more raven-ish to me; the low lying layout and twisting through the trees, even the beast has some over 70 foot tall surprise hills. As stated in the press release, the only above tree-line hill is the first drop. Also. there are no underground tunnels. Anyway, the layout looks great, just not so GCI-like. One of my favorite features of GCI woodies are the crossovers. I like wooden coasters that have "head-chopper" sections, they make the ride that much more intense and exciting.