Please quote image sources!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian

From CoasterForce
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Quick reminder - I'm more than happy (and encourage) everybody to post image updates from other sources on CF.

Please ensure you credit the source, either using text or with a link. If no credit is given, I will assume the image is your own.

The reason I ask is it might get posted on CF's social media and I believe crediting the right people where appropriate.

Cheers!

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
It's 2019, and with time passing the way we (as a global coaster community) share out information is changing. I think Ian's post above is still totally relevant, especially with relation to CoasterForce's use of other people's content on our SM channels and we need to be sure we have the right sources.

Below I've written some general guidelines. I can't possibly cover every option, and can't see the future, so please use a bit of common sense if you've got a source that isn't mentioned here. You'll also notice that I'm looking more at WHO has posted the content, not necessarily where it's been posted. It'll make sense when you see it.

Official publications by parks/manufactuers/news sites/etc
My view on this is that these outlets are full and fair game.
  • Content can be directly posted to the site (pictures/videos embedded, etc).
  • Link to the source (specific web page, Facebook post, Tweet, etc).

Other forums/sites
Admittedly, these are becoming less common (who still uses forums, right?!), but don't lend themselves to cross-posting as easily (we can't embed a post from TowersTimes, for example).
  • Content can be directly posted to the site (pictures/videos embedded, etc).
  • Link to the source with reference to the member or poster of the original content.
  • If you know the member is also a member here on CF, then also credit their CF username (and even better, ask them if they don't mind it being shared, or want to share it themselves).

Social Media
Now, this is the trickier bit. Firstly, here I'm referring to anyone other than official park/manufacturer/news sites/etc (see above), so this also covers the social media pages for other enthusiast groups or similar. Secondly, we need to understand that many people posting to their social media pages are doing it to drive traffic to their pages and content. That's all social media is about really. We need to acknowledge that posting all of their content directly to CF doesn't push any real traffic to their pages, and essentially gains them nothing. So...
  • The current CF forum software allows us to embed posts from most of the big platforms automatically (just C&P the URL and it'll do the rest), so that should always be the first thing you share.
  • Depending on the detail of the images, you can directly post one or two if they have particular information or something that's worth highlighting. Think of this like pulling a screengrab from a YouTube video.
  • We will not allow full reposting of every photo in the update directly onto CF. This actively drives traffic away from the person who is creating and sharing the content.
  • If you know the member is also a member here on CF, then also credit their CF username (and even better, ask them if they don't mind it being shared, or want to share it themselves).

Private
Unlikely we'll see many of these, but - if you are contacted by someone directly with content to share on CF (say, for example, your friend is at the park and has just taken a new picture), this is fine to post provided that the source ("My friend at the park") is clearly stated and you have their permission.

All in all, be polite and courteous. If someone asks you to remove a picture you've posted, oblige. If someone calls you out on it, acknowledge it and move on. We'll bumble our way through this as we go.

Any questions or comments, please PM me.

Status
Not open for further replies.