What's new

Phantasialand | F. L. Y. | Vekoma Launched Flying Coaster | 2020

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Metal ducts of some kind have been attached to the bottom right wall as well.
These look like cable trays/ducts like you often see on the side of railway cuttings/tunnels. Suggests they're going to be pulling a lot of power. :p
tunnels%20with%20completed%20tracks%20and%20racks%20to%20carry%20cabling_257685.jpg

Hixee

Flojector
Staff member
Administrator
Social Media Team
Not going to be a popular opinion but... I'm not really in love with how that wall looks? It's not finished I know, and it does suit the Fantasy area, but that straight edge at the top is just too much to look past for me.
Unpopular, possibly. Correct, at least in my eyes. :D

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
Not going to be a popular opinion but... I'm not really in love with how that wall looks? It's not finished I know, and it does suit the Fantasy area, but that straight edge at the top is just too much to look past for me.
Personally I really like the theming finish on the wall; but yeah I'd also have to agree the straight edge is rather unpleasant to the eye.
They've presumably hit the height limit there and needed the sound barrier to be that hight along its entire length otherwise they would need to reduce the height of the coaster's layout. It's a shame but a necessary evil I guess.
I'm hoping at least the buildings and structures of Rookburgh connected to the wall inside the area will make it look better from that side.

Andy.vo

Roller Poster
Hey everyone, I’m Andy ! This is my first post on this website and I really wanted to share something with you.

Phantasialand reopened today for their Wintertraum. There is a big show at the end of the day, with dancers. And I noticed that 3 dancers were wearing steampunk costumes and were pretending that they were flying.

Is it a hint ? Is it the confirmation of the opening of FLY in 2018 ?
I really hope so !

CrashCoaster

CF Legend
Hey everyone, I’m Andy ! This is my first post on this website and I really wanted to share something with you.

Phantasialand reopened today for their Wintertraum. There is a big show at the end of the day, with dancers. And I noticed that 3 dancers were wearing steampunk costumes and were pretending that they were flying.

I really hope so !
Nah. At this time of year and how far off ?.?.? Is from completion, there is around a 0% chance it will open this year. Maybe it could be some other announcement related to the ride?

Btw welcome to the site. :)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster

I really hope so !
Since the Magic Rose: Spirit of Light show started in 2015 the costumes have always been rather Steampunk inspired. It's likely a coincidence (or was some seriously early teasing!:D).

EDIT: Some new pictures from CoasterFriends.de
9546739d1542999380-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-0img_9184.jpg

9546740d1542999380-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-0img_9190.jpg

The yet to be themed steel wall on the right.
9546741d1542999380-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-0img_9195.jpg

The connection between old and new Wuze. Quite a significant chunk of new rockwork extending the Wuze Town round tower upwards there.
9546742d1542999380-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-0img_9197.jpg

In the afternoon a new scaffold began to arise at one of the protruding arch elements. Presumably for themeing work to take place. So Wuze Wall updates will continue in the coming weeks after all it seems!
9546743d1542999483-201x-neuheit-fly-launched-flying-coaster-themenbereich-rookburgh-phantasialand-img_9221.jpg

And a nice view of Kaiserplatz in its Wintertraum glory with the construction site just visible in the background behind the buildings.

Last edited:

Lori Marie Loud

Giga Poster

Is it a hint ? Is it the confirmation of the opening of FLY in 2019 ?
I really hope so !
Fixed

[ Bear ]

Roller Poster
J9hNR01.jpg

Flying track | Sitdown track | Lifthill | Launch | Brakes | Loading Station| Unloading Station

I have adjusted the overview-picture and added the new trackpieces. It turns out the zero G roll is before the second launch which I did not expect.
It makes me curious what kind of ellements they will add after the second launch, because that one seems a lot bigger (and probably faster) to me.

Last edited:

PetskuC

Mega Poster
J9hNR01.jpg

I have adjusted the overview-picture and added the new trackpieces. It turns out the zero G roll is before the second launch which I did not expect.
It makes me curious what kind of ellements they will add after the second launch, because that one seems a lot bigger (and probably faster) to me.
I'm really not sure what those other colors mean, can someone explain those to me? I realize the orange pieces are launches, and that the purple piece is the lift hill/darkride element.

Last edited:

lostfrequentie

Roller Poster
The black pices are the tracks that placed on an 90 degree angel the green Colered ones are the stations load in and load out
The blue track is the brake and the red track is track and orange is launch
And the purple is lift

PetskuC

Mega Poster
The black pices are the tracks that placed on an 90 degree angel the green Colered ones are the stations load in and load out
The blue track is the brake and the red track is track and orange is launch
And the purple is lift
That's intresting how the first launch is after a lifhill. Also how the brakes are so long including the long loadstations

roff

Roller Poster
I've seen the wall live today and it looks so much better than in the pictures. Much more realistic and it doesn't appear so tall at all.
I've noticed that there are already a few arches at the back:

IMG_5222.JPG

They already started welding the wire construction to the big arches, it's barely visible on the picture (at the very bottom).
Once the scaffolding is up they can also paint the two middle spires, all the other ones have a nice rust / copper finish to them.

IMG_5224.JPG

Last edited:

VikingsAf

Mega Poster
It's funny to see how Würmling express only gets used by small kids on the one hand and by fanatics on the other hand. There is no inbetween.
Guess that it's popularity will decrease once again after the F.L.Y. opening :p

Mario

Roller Poster
Hi there. This is my first post here after following this thread for a while. I'm really excited for this thing.
I suppose you mean those guys?
IMG_20181125_200011b.jpg

Been there today and watched the show as well. The three flying guys are not there for the first time. They were part of the (same) show last year as well!
But I also think it's going to open next year and are really looking forward to my Park visit End of January 2019. :)

CSLKennyNI

Giga Poster
^ Yeah that seems quite possible actually. Two new notices of 'Suspension of proceedings' correspondence have just appeared - directed at the applicant (Phantasialand) now.
Screenshot_20181120-121030_Samsung_Internet.jpg

So R.I.P. F.L.Y.?? :p

EDIT: Update!
On PhantaFriends.de @Schlussbremse has explained the details of the refusal on the website.

"The brand F.L.Y. can not be protected because it has "insufficient distinctiveness" according to UMV Article 7 1 b).

In essence: rejected because, according to the Authority's interpretation, it is basically trying to enter a word mark in the general English word for flying.

Excerpt from the reason:
The mark applied for consists of the English expression "F.L.Y.". The fact that there is a dot between the letters is not enough to make the character distinctive. Typographical symbols such as dot, comma, semicolon, quotation marks or exclamation marks are not perceived by the public as a mark of origin. Consumers perceive it as a sign that should attract their attention, but not as a sign that points to the company's origin. This separate spelling of the letters "F.L.Y." also does not change the descriptive character of the sign, since it does not change the meaning of the word; Nor does it require any mental effort on the part of the consumer to establish an immediate and immediate connection with the term to which they refer.

The term "fly" means: "transport in an aircraft; Move or be hurried quickly through the air; move through the air using wings ". (Information from the Oxford Online Dictionary, retrieved on 15/11/2018 at https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/fly).

(...)

Since the sign has a clear descriptive meaning, it is devoid of any distinctive character and therefore can not be registered under Article 7 (1) (b) CTMR, since it is unable to fulfil the essential function of a trade mark: To distinguish a company's services from those of its competitors."

So yeah F.L.Y. is dead. Can't see a way around that other than a name change at this stage, given its importance they won't keep a brand name they don't own. Intrigued to see what happens now.
http://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#details/trademarks/016873135

With an account on the EUIPO website you can actually read the Suspension of Opposition notices that were put in the correspondence section after the office refused the F.L.Y. trademark. It seems the park or their legal representatives think they must still have a chance and have contested the refusal. Therefore the application will be re-examined, and meanwhile the opposition cases have been suspended and will be reopened after a final decision has been made.
Screenshot_20181127-113749_OneDrive.jpg

So presumably this process and the uncertainly surrounding the coaster's name will continue to drag on for a while longer...

Back to Wuze Wall one of the arches/buttresses has been completely surround by scaffolding for theming work.
Screenshot_20181127-014833_YouTube.jpg

Screenshot_20181127-014744_YouTube.jpg

Source: ProTrueTV YouTube

Robert.W

Roller Poster
I’m actually beginning to really like the look of the Wuze wall. Only issue is is that it makes the rest of the older Wuze facades look a bit dilapidated in comparison, so I hope they will have a look at renewing them in the future as well. Really looking forward to seeing what these arches develop into! :D

And about the name... well, you do have to admire Phantasialand and their determination. I have a feeling they won’t get it, but who knows I guess...

Coaster Hipster

Giga Poster
Benjamin Bloemendaal, Senior Concept Engineer at Vekoma gave some little insight on their upcoming 3rd Gen Flyers in an interview courtesy of @ECG:

(The F.L.Y. / Next Gen Flyer bits come at 6:30)

Great to see CoasterForce providing an opportunity to Benjamin to express his passion and expertise in designing rides. I don't need to further stress my appreciation for New Vekoma rides (see profile picture for reference) :)