What's new

Parks with the best Steel/Wood coaster duo

ThomVD

Giga Poster
Which parks do you think have the best combination of a high quality steel coaster and a high quality woodie?

While I'm not a massive fan of Balder, I think Liseberg has a really strong duo anyway, with Helix and Balder. With the opening of Junker, I would say PowerPark also has a great duo with Junker and Thunderbird.

Ben

CF Legend
Definitely Liseberg.

Balder is absolutely incredible and so is Helix.

I can't think of any other park that has a combination that even comes close.

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Yeah definitely Liseberg for me. Both Helix and Balder are in my top 20 and are excellent.

Other ones of particular note for me are:

Six Flags Great Adventure - El Toro and Nitro
Parc Asterix - Tonnerre de Zeus and OzIris

I expected Junker and Thunderbird to be of the level of those above, but Thunderbird let it down a bit.

TilenB

Strata Poster
Liseberg is a really strong contender, probably hard to be beaten. Everland was probably the closest to that in 2008 season when they had both T Express and Eagle Fortress running. Other than that, I can't recall any, even less that I've been to any...

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
Of the parks I've been to the ones that stand out in my head are

SFGrAdv with El Toro and Nitro, SFGrAm with Goliath and X-flight, Kings Island with Diamondback and the Beast and SDC with Outlaw Run and Wildfire

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I think there's plenty to choose from other ther than Liseberg.
2, Six Flags Great Adventure with El Toro and Nitro
3, Kings Island with the Beast (at night) and Banshee (not Diamondback)
4, Hersheypark with Skyrush and Lightning Racer
5, Parc Asterix with OzIris and Tonnerre de Zeus
6, Holiday World with the Voyage and Thunderbird
7, Six Flags St. Louis with Mr. Freeze and American Thunder
8, Silver Dollar City with Outlaw Run and Powder Keg (or Wildfire depending on which you like more)
9, Six Flags Magic Mountain with Apocalypse and X2 (or Tatsu depending on which you like more)
10, Kennywood with Phantom's Revenge and Thunderbolt
I'll even include Knoebels with Phoenix and Impulse and I've even had some great rides on GhostRider and Xcelerator at Knott's. I also agree with Thom that PowerLand might be a contender, but I haven't ridden Junker to confirm.
I don't think that X-Fllight is worth mentioning Six Flags Great America for even though Goliath is.

Ben

CF Legend
^Jerry, you can't just list any park with both :p

SFGAdv would be a contender if El Toro wasn't El Boro.

Hershey is probably the only one I'll really give you. Did I mention how good Skyrush is yet today?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
I should have mentioned that I put them in order. :wink:
*fixed

CookieCoasters

Giga Poster
Oh I forgot to mention SFMM - X2/Tatsu with Apocalypse (which is fab and underrated). I suppose this one doesn't fit as well though because the best woodie and best steel don't make-up the parks two most popular coasters overall.

caffeine_demon

Strata Poster
Surprised no one's mentioned Europa park yet - with wodan and silver star
Also - Tempted to say Heide Park with Colossos and either Krake/Flug
And a bit of a curveball - But tusenfryd has Thundercoaster and speed monster
Although if only RMC had used wood for wicked cyclone - SFNE would have that and bizarro
Haven't ridden Baron yet, but that might put Efteling up there!
And I really enjoyed blue streak at cedar point, so that could go together with Maverick

ThomVD

Giga Poster
caffeine_demon said:
I just think Wodan lets it down a bit. Silver Star is amazing and Wodan is just really good, but nothing exceptional.

caffeine_demon said:
Ha! I didn't want to mention that because people would just call me an Efteling fanboy, but to me it's totally up there as well, since both Baron and Joris are in my top 10. Although I wouldn't call Baron a world class coaster on itself. It's the total package that makes it fantastic.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
caffeine_demon said:
Also - Tempted to say Heide Park with Colossos and either Krake/Flug
And a bit of a curveball - But tusenfryd has Thundercoaster and speed monster
Although if only RMC had used wood for wicked cyclone - SFNE would have that and bizarro
And I really enjoyed blue streak at cedar point, so that could go together with Maverick
Silver Star isn't even the best steel at Europa Park and Wodan is meh at best, although the theme is amazing.
Krake and Flug aren't good enough for Heide to be mentioned. Same goes for Speed Monster and Blue Streak.
Can't argue with SFNE if Wicked Cyclone was wood, but it ain't. :p

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
ECG said:
Krake and Flug aren't good enough for Heide to be mentioned. Same goes for Speed Monster and Blue Streak.

See, I was just going to mention Krake and Colossos. Don't really need to elaborate on Colossos, it's amazing, we all know that. I really really loved Krake though, it's such a better build on from Oblivion in terms of an extended dive machine, love it.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Jordanovichy said:
...I was just going to mention Krake and Colossos. Don't really need to elaborate on Colossos, it's amazing, we all know that. I really really loved Krake though, it's such a better build on from Oblivion in terms of an extended dive machine, love it.
Extended? Really? If you're talking about SheiKra or Griffon, then yeah. But Krake? Love the theme, but it doesn't offer much more than a small hill compared to Oblivion.

Bat Fastard

Hyper Poster
Of the parks I've been to, I would say Six Flags Great America with Goliath and X-Flight (or maybe even Raging Bull). But if I were to say a park thatbI haven't been to, it would be Great Adventure with El Toro and Nitro.

ignace

Mega Poster
Certainly not the best, but still worth the mention: Wodan and Silver Star/Blue Fire/Eurosat (pick your favorite).

In terms of insane airtime machines: Grand National/revolution could work to.

Jordanovichy

Credit Whore 2016
ECG said:
Jordanovichy said:
...I was just going to mention Krake and Colossos. Don't really need to elaborate on Colossos, it's amazing, we all know that. I really really loved Krake though, it's such a better build on from Oblivion in terms of an extended dive machine, love it.
Extended? Really? If you're talking about SheiKra or Griffon, then yeah. But Krake? Love the theme, but it doesn't offer much more than a small hill compared to Oblivion.

Yeah obviously it's not extended in the way those are, and Sheikra is great too, better even, but no decent woodie at BGT ;) but Krake has 'more to it' than Oblivion does, I really enjoyed it.