What's new

Oscars 2013

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
As I suspect I'm not the only one who will watch the oscars this year so here's a place to discuss them.

Having only seen all of the nominations for best animated that's what I will comment on.

If Wreck-it Ralph doesn't win best animated picture tonight its a snub.

If Brave wins the Academy loses all credibility.

Ben

CF Legend
I'm still pissed off that Cloud Atlas hasn't been nominated for anything, despite having THE best make up and editing by miles, and being overall one of the top films. It should have at least been nominated. Given how many Life of Pi is up for, and that film sucked ass. Cloud Atlas was a good version of it.

Other than that, as long as Anne Hathaway and Jennifer Laurence win, I'll be happy.

I want Hugh Jackman to win, but, I'm not sure he will.

I'd like Adele to win as well.

I don't really care about the rest, mostly cause I didn't love Django as much as I thought I would.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Youngster Joey said:
If Brave wins the Academy loses all credibility.
TBH, I think Brave could win & not affect the Academy's credibility whatsoever. There will always be much more controversy over the Academy snubbing Ben Affleck & Kathryn Bigelow for Best Director than which film wins Best Animated Feature.

I'll go ahead & throw out my predictions to be ridiculed & scoffed at. :p

Best Motion Picture of the Year
Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Misérables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role
Bradley Cooper for Silver Linings Playbook
Daniel Day-Lewis for Lincoln
Hugh Jackman for Les Misérables
Joaquin Phoenix for The Master
Denzel Washington for Flight

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role
Jessica Chastain for Zero Dark Thirty
Jennifer Lawrence for Silver Linings Playbook
Emmanuelle Riva for Amour
Quvenzhané Wallis for Beasts of the Southern Wild
Naomi Watts for The Impossible

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role
Alan Arkin for Argo
Robert De Niro for Silver Linings Playbook
Philip Seymour Hoffman for The Master
Tommy Lee Jones for Lincoln
Christoph Waltz for Django Unchained

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role
Amy Adams for The Master
Sally Field for Lincoln
Anne Hathaway for Les Misérables
Helen Hunt for The Sessions
Jacki Weaver for Silver Linings Playbook

Best Achievement in Directing
Michael Haneke for Amour
Ang Lee for Life of Pi
David O. Russell for Silver Linings Playbook
Steven Spielberg for Lincoln
Benh Zeitlin for Beasts of the Southern Wild

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen
Amour: Michael Haneke
Django Unchained: Quentin Tarantino
Flight: John Gatins
Moonrise Kingdom: Wes Anderson, Roman Coppola
Zero Dark Thirty: Mark Boal

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published
Argo: Chris Terrio
Beasts of the Southern Wild: Lucy Alibar, Benh Zeitlin
Life of Pi: David Magee
Lincoln: Tony Kushner
Silver Linings Playbook: David O. Russell

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year
Brave: Mark Andrews, Brenda Chapman
Frankenweenie: Tim Burton
ParaNorman: Sam Fell, Chris Butler
The Pirates! Band of Misfits: Peter Lord
Wreck-It Ralph: Rich Moore

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year
Amour (Austria)
War Witch (Canada)
No (Chile)
A Royal Affair (Denmark)
Kon-Tiki (Norway)

Best Achievement in Cinematography
Anna Karenina: Seamus McGarvey
Django Unchained: Robert Richardson
Life of Pi: Claudio Miranda
Lincoln: Janusz Kaminski
Skyfall: Roger Deakins

Best Achievement in Editing
Argo: William Goldenberg
Life of Pi: Tim Squyres
Lincoln: Michael Kahn
Silver Linings Playbook: Jay Cassidy, Crispin Struthers
Zero Dark Thirty: William Goldenberg, Dylan Tichenor

Best Achievement in Production Design
Anna Karenina: Sarah Greenwood, Katie Spencer
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: Dan Hennah, Ra Vincent, Simon Bright
Les Misérables: Eve Stewart, Anna Lynch-Robinson
Life of Pi: David Gropman, Anna Pinnock
Lincoln: Rick Carter, Jim Erickson

Best Achievement in Costume Design
Anna Karenina: Jacqueline Durran
Les Misérables: Paco Delgado
Lincoln: Joanna Johnston
Mirror Mirror: Eiko Ishioka
Snow White and the Huntsman: Colleen Atwood

Best Achievement in Makeup and Hairstyling
Hitchcock: Howard Berger, Peter Montagna, Martin Samuel
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: Peter King, Rick Findlater, Tami Lane
Les Misérables: Lisa Westcott, Julie Dartnell

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Score
Anna Karenina: Dario Marianelli
Argo: Alexandre Desplat
Life of Pi: Mychael Danna
Lincoln: John Williams
Skyfall: Thomas Newman

Best Achievement in Music Written for Motion Pictures, Original Song
Chasing Ice: J. Ralph ("Before My Time")
Les Misérables: Alain Boublil, Claude-Michel Schönberg, Herbert Kretzmer ("Suddenly")
Life of Pi: Mychael Danna, Bombay Jayshree ("Pi's Lullaby")
Skyfall: Adele, Paul Epworth ("Skyfall")
Ted: Walter Murphy, Seth MacFarlane ("Everybody Needs a Best Friend")

Best Achievement in Sound Mixing
Argo: John T. Reitz, Gregg Rudloff, José Antonio García
Les Misérables: Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, Simon Hayes
Life of Pi: Ron Bartlett, Doug Hemphill, Drew Kunin
Lincoln: Andy Nelson, Gary Rydstrom, Ron Judkins
Skyfall: Scott Millan, Greg P. Russell, Stuart Wilson

Best Achievement in Sound Editing
Argo: Erik Aadahl, Ethan Van der Ryn
Django Unchained: Wylie Stateman
Life of Pi: Eugene Gearty, Philip Stockton
Skyfall: Per Hallberg, Karen M. Baker
Zero Dark Thirty: Paul N.J. Ottosson

Best Achievement in Visual Effects
The Avengers: Janek Sirrs, Jeff White, Guy Williams, Daniel Sudick
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey: Joe Letteri, Eric Saindon, David Clayton, R. Christopher White
Life of Pi: Bill Westenhofer, Guillaume Rocheron, Erik De Boer, Donald Elliott
Prometheus: Richard Stammers, Trevor Wood, Charley Henley, Martin Hill
Snow White and the Huntsman: Cedric Nicolas-Troyan, Phil Brennan, Neil Corbould, Michael Dawson

Best Documentary, Feature
5 Broken Cameras: Emad Burnat, Guy Davidi
The Gatekeepers: Dror Moreh, Philippa Kowarsky, Estelle Fialon
How to Survive a Plague: David France, Howard Gertler
The Invisible War: Kirby Dick, Amy Ziering
Searching for Sugar Man: Malik Bendjelloul, Simon Chinn
Going out on a limb for many of these, but WTH -I wish

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
My predictions, with my opinions on what I think should win:

Best Motion Picture of the Year

It will be Argo or Lincoln. Out of the two I hope Argo wins. Les Miserables wouldn't be a total shock either. Out of all the nominations, I thought the best was actually Life of Pi. I haven't seen Amour though.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role

I haven't seen all the nominated performances. I would like it to go to Bradley Cooper, but it will go to Daniel Day Lewis, which upsets me.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role

I'll be honest, none of the nominations that I've seen have really wowed me. Unpronounceable kid will get it, which is just wrong as she wasn't that good. I think the fact that she was so young and looked generally confused just worked in her favour for the role. I'd like to see Naomi Watts get it. I haven't seen The Impossible, but she's "due" a win.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role

I'd like to see Christopher Waltz get it, and I think he's actually in with a pretty good chance.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role

Anne Hathway. Anne Hatheway. Anne Hatheway.

Best Achievement in Directing

I've got a horrible feeling that Benh Zeitlin might get it for that awful piece of **** he churned out. It should be Ang Lee though.

Best Writing, Screenplay Written Directly for the Screen

I think it's Tarantino's "turn" to get an Oscar. I didn't rate the film, but the actual dialogue was excellent, so it wouldn't be undeserved.

Best Writing, Screenplay Based on Material Previously Produced or Published

I think David O. Russel might have this for Silver Linings Playbook. In my opinion, he actually butchered the novel, but I don't think many people voting would have read it to know the difference.

Best Animated Feature Film of the Year

I would love Pirates! to win it - and I wouldn't be mad at Frankenweenie - but I've got an awful feeling they'll give an award for "Best Animated Hair" rather than the film as a whole, and it will go to Brave

Best Foreign Language Film of the Year

Amour. I haven't seen any of them, but it has to be based simply on the fact that's it's nominated in the Best Picture category.

Best Achievement in Cinematography

I haven't seen Anna Karenina, but from the others it HAS to be Life of Pi. That thing was stunning.

I'm not going to go through the others, other than to say I hope Les Miserables doesn't win for best song as I HATE the desperate Oscar grab by adding a new song into an existing score, especially a song as poor and unnecessary as Suddenly. I'd like Adele to get that one, not because I like her, but because she brought a bit of old-school, Bassey-style back to a Bond tune.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
Silver Linings and Argo need to win a lot of the awards. Lincoln was good, but overrated, and Zero Dark Thirty is extremely overrated.

I won't watch. I hate preachy **** like awards shows.

peep

CF Legend
I normally try to watch the Oscars but with work tomorrow and it finishing about 4/5am I can't. I get the feeling it could be a good one to watch this year too what with a whole big tribute to Bond and Seth MacFarlane hosting should be interesting. I'll just have to watch the 'best bits' on the internet in a couple of days.

I get the feeling, as always, I won't like who wins what. I haven't seen Beasts of the Southern Wild but all the critics are creaming over it so I'm assuming it's turd, same goes for Life of Pi and Zero Dark Thirty. I reckon that Amour is amazing but I just can't be bothered to watch it. Lincoln was bit dire too.

Silver Linings and Argo deserve everything, they were both fantastic. Brave better get the Oscar, it's about how good the animation is and tbh Brave wins on that basis by miles.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
This'll be the first year that I actually watch the awards. I haven't seen enough of the nominated films to make any accurate predictions, but I did think that Argo & Silver Linings were excellent and deserve any awards they win.

I also hope that Christoph Waltz wins Best Supporting Actor for his role in Django Unchained, because he just owns every scene he's in. But I wouldn't be at all disappointed if it went to De Niro, as he's one of my all time favorites.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
peep said:
Brave better get the Oscar, it's about how good the animation is and tbh Brave wins on that basis by miles.

Bollocks it is. The award is for "best animated feature" not 'best animation" and there's a world of difference. Brave was an awful film.

Discounting films out of hand when you've seen less than half the films nominated and declaring that "everything" should go to the two films you have seen and liked is also a bit ridiculous, especially for someone who labels themselves as such a film buff and who works in the industry.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Well, no real surprises this year, except perhaps that Lincoln only won 2 of the 12 awards it was up for.

Looks like I'll have to check out Life of Pi.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
Although Tarantino was who I wanted to win for best screenplay, I was surprised he actually did. I thought the language was too controversial for him to get it.
I'll have to look back over my previous post to see if who I thought would win was a better prediction than who I wished would win. At a glance it looks about even either way.
And what happened to the Bond reunion? I thought all the Bonds through the years were going to make an appearance. :?

Youngster Joey

Strata Poster
ECG said:
Although Tarantino was who I wanted to win for best screenplay, I was surprised he actually did. I thought the language was too controversial for him to get it.
I'll have to look back over my previous post to see if who I thought would win was a better prediction than who I wished would win. At a glance it looks about even either way.
And what happened to the Bond reunion? I thought all the Bonds through the years were going to make an appearance. :?

That was nothing more than a rumor that was confirmed false days ago..

madhjsp

Giga Poster
I'm in the same boat with regards to Django Unchained: I loved the script, as I do with just about everything Tarantino does, but didn't think it was award-friendly. I thought Waltz & Tarantino both deserved their Oscars & was certainly hoping they'd win, but expected them to lose to De Niro and Boal, respectively.

The Bond tribute was still pretty cool, even if they didn't reunite the actors. Adele's performance was spot-on as expected, and I really liked Shirley Bassey's performance of "Goldfinger"... such a classic Bond theme!

Seth McFarlane killed it as host, in my opinion.. I just love his brand of comedy. Some of the highlights were the "we saw your boobs" song (and the reactions of the actresses mentioned therein), the John Wilkes Booth "too soon?" joke, the Ted guest appearance, and the Sound of Music reference with Christopher Plummer.

On the other hand, Paul Rudd & Melissa McCarthy... boy, talk about bringing things to a screeching halt. I seriously think they got completely blitzed just before going on stage. Kristen Stewart looked totally out of place as well & seemed to have Daniel Radcliffe feeling somewhat uncomfortable.

Having Michelle Obama present the final award from the White House was kind of cool, I guess, but just seemed kind of unnecessary & contrived. Why bring a superstar like Jack Nicholson onstage just to introduce somebody else on a screen who gets to present the actual award?

Overall, none of the winners disappointed me, as in I don't feel that any of my personal favorites going in were unfairly snubbed. Maybe would've liked to have seen SLP get a few more awards, but at least Jennifer Lawrence got a well-deserved Best Actress. I certainly hope to see more of her in the coming years.

Ben

CF Legend
I'm glad Life of Pi didn't win film, but pissed off Ang Lee won director.

It was sooooo dull and preachy and heavy handed.

It was like "HERE'S A THEME. I'M GOING TO BEAT YOU OVER THE HEAD WITH IT UNTIL YOU GET IT. WE LOVE GOD".

I'll say it again; Cloud Atlas was that sort of film done well. Amazingly well. WHERE WERE ITS NOMINATIONS.

I do wish DDL hadn't won again. Urghhhh. Sod off.

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team
^Completely disagree with you on Life of Pi - I loved it - but in total agreement with Daniel Day Lewis.

He's just so incredibly overrated in general I think. It was the role of Lincoln - along with the costumes and the make-up - that won the Oscar, not his performance. Anybody else playing it would have won as well.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
I actually ended up watching it, solely for Seth McFarlene. He was amazing. Kristen Stewart just needs to go the **** away. Melissa McCarthy is not funny at all, and there was no point in having Michelle Obama do anything, just stupid and a waste of time and money. Loved the boob song, Jennifer Lawrence's reaction was priceless. She actually acted like a human, which is rare for these events. I hate the self obsession that hollywood has with themselves and how none of them are, well, real people. I just want someone to go up there and go, "sweet, I won. Thanks. I'm gonna go get tanked. Later."

Oh well, it's ridiculous, but hopefully Seth gets another chance to host again.

madhjsp

Giga Poster
Somewhat off-topic on this rant, but whatever.

Can some of these women in Hollywood please eat a damn steak or something? Weighing 80 pounds & looking completely emaciated is just not attractive, no matter what the fashion industry says. I flipped on some of the red carpet stuff while making dinner before the actual awards show started, and here is Zoe Saldana talking about how she went out to dinner the night before & woke up the next day feeling a little worried about fitting into her dress. Gimme a freakin' break! Now we don't necessarily need you to be the same shape as John Candy either, but the most beautiful women are the ones who embrace their curves, maintain a normal healthy weight & don't starve themselves.. and this goes for both celebrities and people I know personally. The ridiculous standards for what constitutes glamor & beauty could stand to have a major overhaul. When someone like Kate Upton gets called a "cow," (LINK... I'm seriously shocked that this isn't satire) I think we have a problem.

tomahawk

Strata Poster
That link is a joke.

Yeah, her and Lawrence are considered fat, yet they should be considered the standard as that is normal size for any person who is, well, real. So many of their heads are way too big for their bodies since they are just skin and bones.

nadroJ

CF Legend
The best part of the Oscars was when Jennifer Lawrence fell down and Hugh Jackman leapt to her rescue. What a hero.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^A different camera (than the live one in the video below) showed that Bradley Cooper was right there too. :wink:
You can just barely see his hand come into the right side of the frame as she gets up.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLLcJyl9lF4[/youtube]

It would have been funny to see her reaction if they both would have gotten to her before she was able to get up on her own. Especially after seeing her reaction to Jack Nicholson's "admirations".
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJmhsJ5T5L0[/youtube]