What's new

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
Did anyone get the change to ride this Dinn woodie before closing in 2009? It reopened in 2011 as the world’s first RMC coaster and RMC hybrid?

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
^Someone never rode Son of Beast. :p

I didn't think it was that bad and rode it every time I visited the park. It did get progressively worse with each trip I took to Texas, but I didn't think it was as bad as Gwazi, Mean Streak, Predator, Legend, Boss, Bandit, Coaster Express or Magnus Colossus, to name a few. Did it have any standout moments, like the 2nd drop on Rattler, that made it worth putting up the roughness? Not really, but the 1st drop was pretty massive for a woodie (at the time).

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster

I didn't think it was that bad and rode it every time I visited the park. It did get progressively worse with each trip I took to Texas, but I didn't think it was as bad as Gwazi, Mean Streak, Predator, Legend, Boss, Bandit, Coaster Express or Magnus Colossus, to name a few. Did it have any standout moments, like the 2nd drop on Rattler, that made it worth putting up the roughness? Not really, but the 1st drop was pretty massive for a woodie (at the time).
Not going to lie Son of Beast looked really fun!

Indy

Hyper Poster
😆 Oh, but I did! Most years of its life even! My last rides on both were in 2008 and both were back row wheel seat rides, stupidly. Son of Beast was shockingly fine, relatively speaking. However, I struggled to get up from my seat on Texas Giant. My back was in shambles!

I will say, when I rode Texas Giant a few years prior, it was fairly brutal, but a ton of fun. It could have become a legendary ride if it had hung around long enough to get something like the GCI Ghostrider treatment.

ECG

East Coast(er) General
Staff member
Administrator
... Son of Beast was shockingly fine, relatively speaking. ...
Shockingly fine? The damn thing pounded me around so much I thought it was trying to knock my heart out of my chest. Worse ride I ever had. I was dreading to return to the park a week later to film a POV, but thankfully it closed for good a couple of days beforehand.

Jarret Stroud

Roller Poster
Shockingly fine? The damn thing pounded me around so much I thought it was trying to knock my heart out of my chest. Worse ride I ever had. I was dreading to return to the park a week later to film a POV, but thankfully it closed for good a couple of days beforehand.
I would have love to ride Son of Beast.

Bpolson75

Roller Poster
I dreamed of the Texas Giant ever since I first saw construction starting from the Oil Derrick… and then when we saw the article in the Dallas Morning News if what it would be my fantasies went wild. In its early years it was amazing… then it got to where I couldn’t ride it. Praise the Lord- (or Alan Schilke for those of you atheist) they RMCed that sucker!