Old or new millennium of B&Ms products?

• Old Millennium (1990-1999)

Votes: 16 59.3%
  • New Millennium (2000-2011)

Votes: 11 40.7%

• Total voters

Kebab

Giga Poster
Simple topic. Do you prefer the more advanced models of B&M rollercoasters throughout the 21st Century, or the classic outbreak of the older and grittier B&M's of the 90's?

Discuss! :)

mouse

Giga Poster
Re: Old/New Millennium of B&M

Old, more forcefull, brilliant concepts and pure awesomeness.

Jake

Strata Poster

A lot of the really classic, awesome B&Ms are older, but then so are the disgusting smaller Stand Up coasters. Equally, some of the newer B&Ms (new Dive Machines, Behemoth etc) are fab, and some rather dull.

I'd say it was 50/50.

alexr

Hyper Poster

Old, Nemesis, Hulk, Kumba, Khan ect are much better than most of the Modern Coasters they have made other than Dive Machines and Some Flyers are quite dull so I would say 90's overall.

CoasterCrazy

Giga Poster

I think the wingrider is definitely an up and coming B&M design...they're sheer awsome! (And yes, I have been on Raptor!)

michaellll

Mega Poster

New:

-Awesome hypers.
-Some great flyers
-Wing Riders
-Dive Machines

Old:

-Some classics like Nemmy, Hulk......

I prefer the new.

andrus

Giga Poster

I haven't ridden enough of them to give a fair judgement. But my top two B&Ms, Black Mamba and Katun, are from the new millenium so I voted for that option!

Josh73

Giga Poster

When was Air made?
I prefer the classics like Nemisis, Kumba, Hulk, but that is just my opinion.
BTW, is the B&M sit-down still available, or are they out of commission?

gavin

Staff member
Social Media Team

^I've never looked at their website until now. That's atrocious. The argument will be that they don't "need" to advertise, but the absolute arrogance of that annoys me.

Anyway, back on topic.

I see the whole "new B&Ms are forceless" argument to be a bit of a myth to be honest, which usually comes about based on the inverted model.

andrus

Giga Poster

^^There has been built two new B&M loopers with floor since the introduction of Medusa, whereof the last one (Led Zeppelin) was built in 2008. So yes, I still do think parks consider the floored model when investing in a new looper.

And personally I like the floored version more. I think the floorless trains are ugly and they don't allow any theming. Plus the new "hyper" seating used on Wildfire looks really funky, I would love to try that one out!

tomahawk

Strata Poster

I like new hypers, old inverts, newer flyers, and haven't been on a sit down looper or dive machine to know which of those I like more. So, split.

Snoo

The Legend

I agree with most of the others.. I'm also 50/50. Some of the older B&M's are spectacular along with some newer ones. Of course, the reverse is also true.

The focus has shifted too much for me to make a decision. It seems they were more focused on inversions before, whereas now they seem to be focused more on airtime and height. My favourite B&M is Nemesis and I believe many other brilliant ones came from the earlier days, but then again Behemoth is also brilliant and that is considered newer. If I had to choose I think I'd go with old, but their concepts are certainly evolving with a consistent quality.

Venom2053

Hyper Poster

Yea both the new and the old have there advantages and disadvantages. I love the old layouts of Kumba and Hulk but I think dive machines like Sherkia have the coolest feeling and its amazing that they are now building over 300ft.

If I HAD to pick, I enjoy the inversions more so I'd go with the old.

Colossus

Giga Poster

This is a really tough one to call, both are great in their own rights, but if my hand was to be forced the edge would go to the older B&M coasters because of the higher level of forcefulness.

A

Anonymous

This that old B&M are supposed to be more forceful than newer ones are just an illusion in my view. In some cases it's the other way around. I think that the main difference between old an new in terms of force is computing power. The precision that you can calculate how the track should be built have increased a lot since the first B&M, and with better calculations you can get better force outputs.

Looking at data for some old an new B&M inverts, then the older ones are very inconsistent as their positive vertical force varies between every element (some spots may have 4.5 g's other spots 2 g's and the rest is somewhere in between), where as newer ones pulls more or less exactly 4 g's everywhere between elements.

It's like comparing the forces between a hand built and "tooled" NoLimits coaster track...

I'm leaning towards the older ones that B&M have made (Pyrenees <3 ), the newer ones are a bit too "perfect", they lack a bit of soul and character that the older have. But then again they are still massive fun to ride!!

reddude333

Giga Poster

This is just too tough for me. Some of the first steel roller coasters I've ever ridden were from the first half and they mean a lot to me. I really like the original Top Gun at Paramount's Great America and Batman at SFMM is brilliant. For me the main difference is that B&M got more innovative over time and while I have not been on any of their dive machines or wing riders, I loved Tatsu the year it came out and I have generally enjoyed their megacoasters.